webuser_592461044

Advice on repairing/repainting weatherboards

Rob
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi all,

I'm a recent first home buyer and looking for some advice on the quality of my weatherboards.
The house is 10 years old so I figured they would at least need repainting after I bought the place, but on closer inspection, I'm thinking there will need to be some repair work done first.
Note that the house is a double story townhouse, with the bottom level being brick and the top being weatherboard.

Below are some photos.

• You'll notice some a fairly sizable gap between the weatherboards and the weatherboard stop (this is against the central brick wall between my neighbours and my houses). Does the stop need replacing or can I simply fill in the gap with something like No More Gaps weatherboard gap filler?
  • Some of the boards look like they'll need replacing, possibly rotting away. Would you agree? Or would I need to strip the paint first to see the quality of the timber?
  • There are some cracked boards

As I'm fairly new to being a homeowner, and I have no real experience dealing with weatherboards, I would welcome any advice on what is required here.
Is it as bad as I think it is, or is this a fairly straightforward repair job?
Would I be best to have a local builder fix this up?

Thanks,
Rob

Comments (4)

• legendaryflame
    5 years ago
    I am no expert but I would get a painter in to have a look and quote the job. He should be able to tell you if its more than what he can do. I have a painter lined up to do my house and he is going to do some small repairs/ patching work as part of his quote.
  • PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    5 years ago

Timber weatherboards can be tricky to work with as being a timber they are susceptible to shrinkage, warping, and twisting, especially if they have not been installed correctly and given the proper priming and painting. Judging by the amount of issues that you have with your weatherboards that are fairly new I would say that they have not been shown the love they require when they were installed. Possibly the developer/builder took some short-cuts in the rush to get it finished and on the market. They look like they are at a first floor level with difficult access for maintenance and painting.

I wouldn't waste money on paying for the labour to fill, patch and paint, but remove them and replace them with one of the James Hardie weatherboard products with a similar profile. Have them professionally installed, properly primed and painted, and you will save money in the long run.

https://www.jameshardie.com.au/products/weatherboards/

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

• Rob
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you both for your advice.

It seems I have 2 different options, repair or replace, likely at 2 very different costs!

Something for me to think about that's for sure.

I may get quotes for both options and then work out what to do from there.

Thanks again!

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    5 years ago

Rob, I think you may be surprised at how similar the quotes are. Remember labour is expensive and materials are comparatively cheap. There is a lot more labour (and longer scaffold hire) in the repair, repatch and repaint option then the replacement. Consider your long term spend for ongoing maintenance, not just a fix for the short term.

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls