webuser_167122340

Demolish Semi-detached/Duplex half ?

HU-167122340
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am currently house hunting and a few properties have come up for sale lately that are half of a semi-detached/duplex house on a survey-strata land holding (I live in Perth). I believe a survey-strata land holding means you can essentially do as you please to your property as long as you abide by the Regulation 14G of the Strata Regulations 1996 for party wall easements: (http://www5.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/consol_reg/stgr1996337/s14g.html)

I was wondering if anyone had any experience in how difficult it would be to knock down your half the duplex in order to re-build later on down the track (land size over 400m2). Would it be very expensive to "patch up" the neighbors wall? . We would be happy living in the duplex for the time being but wondering if this could be an option for us once our family expands. I would think doing this would add considerable value to both properties as they become free standing

Does this require the neighbors permission?

I have added some photos from google maps that show two examples of where it seems people have done it before.

Any prior experience, thoughts or opinions very much appreciated. Thanks!

Comment (1)

• dreamer
    5 years ago
    Yes this is common practice in Perth. Most of the 1970's duplexes are on big parcels of land. Your chosen builder can help with the council requirements, and a reputable demolition company. And, YES, you definitely need the permission of the owner of the 'currently' attached building. This would be signed off when getting building/council approval. The walls between each half are usually two double brick walls. So you would be removing your double brick walls, and either incorporating a new double brick wall into your design, or leaving the neighbours wall as a parapet wall on the boundary. I would encourage you to contact a reputable, well known building company who has experience in the correct procedure.
    I have attached a photo of a home near us. They left the neighbours wall as a parapet on boundary, and built a new detached home.
    HU-167122340 thanked dreamer