houzzaupolls

POLL: Is renovating with your partner fun or frustrating?

HouzzAU Polls
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Renovating can put a lot of stress on couples as they try to agree on everything from the design to the budget. For other couples, working through a home project can be a fulfilling experience.

For those of who have worked on a home project with their partner - was it fun or frustrating? Vote and tell us in the comments.

Innovation At Its Best · More Info

Fun
Frustrating

Comments (27)

• PRO
    Anatoly Patrick Architecture
    5 years ago

Love to see the outcome of this poll!

My experience: I end up doing quite a lot of marriage counselling/argument adjudication during client design sessions!

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

That's so funny but sadly true

• Kim Westwood
    5 years ago

Well think I will choose fun although at times the process was extremely frustrating. With a husband who likes to do things himself with no help from ME!! I am perfectly capable of ripping gyprock off the wall, as he found out. He is also someone who will change the plan at the last minute & expects you to go along with the idea without thinking about it. But we did survive the kitchen reno. Next is the lounge area/dining. Cant wait as fed up with the messy conditions so ready for the decor part. My department not his.

• olldroo
    5 years ago

My ex was colour blind, decorating challenged and so far behind the times with the cost of things just replacing a front door mat was a major event. Anything he did agree to was fine provided he didn't have to do it............... in other words I did everything. He must have had an epiphany right before we started the last major renovation prior to selling the house as he suddenly had an opinion, had ideas, was able to do all manner of chores and was even shocked (in a good way) when I suggested less expensive finishes and ways of doing things. Half way through he suggested we forget doing things ourselves and call in professionals. I didn't argue. The renovations went sooooo smoothly, he even went shopping for things ALL BY HIMSELF!!

I think I can only describe the experience as spooky.

• PRO
    Aus Joinery Kitchens Pty Ltd
    5 years ago

Renovating with a partner is only ever fun when they do as they're told lol.

During a client meet and greet phase their is always one who is the most dominant and its always more expedient to convince the less dominant one to go with the flow.

• vonseatan
    4 years ago

Extremely frustrating! My hubby doesn't like change and can't visualize things before they happen, so it's very difficult trying to convince him of something ESPECIALLY if it is out of the norm! In all honesty if I could do it without him things would go so much more smoothly!

• olldroo
    4 years ago

vonseatan - would he even notice??

• User
    4 years ago
    My hubby doesn’t like to spend money on trades as he thinks he. And I most things by himself.. frustrating as he never has the time and sometimes I just want it done to perfection, this year!
  • Charlotte Hargreaves
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I did two houses while married to my ex husband. He was totally dis-engaged, difficult, critical and unhelpful. Again I did everything, which I see is a common comment from people above.

When we divorced he wanted 50% of everything I had done. (Make sure you document the hours you spend on these projects which are financial benefiting, otherwise the lawyers say it is unquantifiable).

With my new partner it is a fabulous and a fun journey which inspires more projects. My advice is change your partner, not the project. It does not need to be hard.

Before embarking in a renovation or project, talk openly with your partner as to the roles you each will have and talk to other couples as to how it worked for them. It's cheaper than Councelling.

This experience has put me in great stead to advise my clients and read them, and support them when they ask for the relationship advice throughout the project.

I hear you Anatoly Patrick.!!

• User
    4 years ago
    A
  • watchedpoppy
    4 years ago

I was worried going in that this would make or break us. Having almost finished our first major home renovation, I am pleased to report, it was easy and for most parts stressless. We bounced ideas off each other which gave each other confidence to express our personal style. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Bouncing ideas off Houzzers too I must say was a comfort.

• oklouise
    4 years ago

very pleased to read some happy outcomes, well done to you two

• agnes
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>We are in the middle of a renovation and it is a very frustrating experience. Every decision to be made is a battle. If we are still together after the Reno we can survive anything
  • The Doktor
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I find it interesting that people deem themselves sufficiently compatible to be in a long term relationship, yet they are insufficiently compatible to be able to agree on one of the most involving and expensive activities people can undertake.

• olldroo
    4 years ago

But doesn't it say a lot for human resourcefulness, determination and belief that we are still willing to put ourselves out there and try.

• C J
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>both
  • Roula Georgiou
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Frustrating and rewarding at the same time
  • User
    4 years ago

Why is it I can't see comments or even the poll unless I submit anything, even a single letter opens up the site.

• olldroo
    4 years ago

Debanger - I've been having a lot of silly issues lately too. I can't check to see who "likes" comments either. Yesterday I went to check some photos and had all manner of problems but I notice it has a new format that I do not like at all. I haven't been able to attach photos for years now either.

• Karen Norkett
    4 years ago

We are undertaking a pretty big Reno that has for the most part been fun, I can’t wait to see the end product.... this is our fourth Reno and we are still smiling and love each other compromise is the key and trusting each other’s judgment. Yes I do all the paperwork and groundwork, but my husband is such a hardworking man and it evens out. We also run two businesses so things are hectic!!! A friend joked we should just divorce now and save ourselves the stress!!! I couldnt do this with anyone else, he is my best friend.

• Denise
    4 years ago

We’re just starting out in our reno... after more than 10 years of planning, but it has been fun. My husband started off not being that interested in the aesthetics but he’s gotten more into it now and we are having fun planning our colour schemes and purchasing our new items. We’re living in it to make it easier to liaise with all the tradies and we’re equally involved. He works from home so he can call or FaceTime me if any decisions need to be made or changed.

Let’s see how the next 6 months go!

• Maun Collins
    4 years ago

We discuss and plan everything for months before we start. We don't even get quotes until we have planned out what we want, worked out fall back/cheaper options, and priced what materials we can. We project manage together, physically do whatever we can to reduce costs e.g.. some demo, all of the painting, buy the tiles/taps/handles etc and pick them up, daily clean-up. We will be doing the kitchen in about 12 months and are already planning, talking to kitchen designers, looking at appliances, figuring out if we can get the finishes we want or need a backup design. Once we can see final costs/ quotes we will choose the finishes we are willing to pay for. This may involve trading off a preferred benchtop for a preferred appliance, bespoke colour for a standard colour. The important thing is that we discuss everything in detail until we agree. This sometimes involves give and take. When one feels strongly about something, we trade with the other to give them something they feel strongly about. We have very similar tastes and senses of colour and design, which helps enormously,

• beshill
    4 years ago

No for us. We can manage to paint a wall,I cut in,he does the big strokes.

Passed that,he is totally impractical and as I'm creative and can see how something will look,I frustrate him.

However the end result is he stymies me.I'd love to build a house,he just acts agreeable but does not actually cooperate enough to ensure it happens.He dislikes change,wants to be comfortable.I watch house reno programmes for the sheer joy of seeing practical men swinging a hammer,solving a problem and renovating.

Maybe next time round!

However he appreciates art and books,can't have it all!

• oklouise
    4 years ago

despite being able to do the work my husband has to be dragged kicking and screaming to do anything that's not his own idea but last few years we've discovered the pleasure of having a great builder and team of lovely tradies take care of all the hard work and it's a joy to watch a real craftsman produce your own ideas BUT serious money required as we recently paid $6000 + all materials to install 6 doors and 75m architrave and skirts but delighted with results and he's pleased enough to consider some other ideas and lucky you to have a man who appreciates art and books so you do have it all as there are other people available to do building work!

• olldroo
    4 years ago

Wow, oklouise, that sounds very expensive. After over 50 years of DIY painting and renovating, I'm so happy now to sit back and let others do the work - finding people is the problem now. I think moving to the country though I've found a totally different breed of people, great dedicated workers who know what they are doing and give great results at a realistic price. Sometimes I've queried their charge, they seem so inexpensive but they assure me they are just out to earn a comfortable living to enable them to enjoy the lifestyle of living in this area and keep busy. They are such a pleasure to have in the house too, they just become like family.

• PRO
    dcf design group
    4 years ago

Haha...this in an interesting one... in our experience we sometimes end up doing quite a lot of marriage counselling and resolving arguments or disagreements during our client design sessions!