gr8beauty

Floating stairs and cable railing...

gr8beauty
4 years ago

I am knocking down a half wall on the first landing on my staircase and I am replacing the old, ugly, wooden stair newels with cable railing. I don’t plan on moving in the near future so I am not concerned about it immediately but I would like to know the general consensus on floating stairs and cable railing. My house is pretty big with a huge fenced back yard is definitely a family home made for entertaining. My question is would a home with a floating staircase and cable railing be deal breaker when looking at a home?

The stair stringers are going to be on the sides like normal stairs, not a single center stringer. The treads are 3” thick and the see through open portion will be 4.25” (7.25” rise) the gaps in the cable railing will be no more than 4”.

I know some people would be concerned having little kids but it Is very safe.

Cable railing, sure!
Mid century type balusters
Straight balusters
Some other option... specify

Comments (15)

• gr8beauty
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Pic of the stairs When you walk in my house this is what you walk into. the left opens up tk the rest of the foyer and the dining room, the right opens up to the formal living room/library and from there, it opens to the family room which wraps around to the kitchen and connects to the dining room. The floating staircase will open the area and allow a view of the back of the house. I am removing the portion of the wall below the first landing as well. Is this something that would scare some of you off if you were to view this house for purchase?

This is a mock up of black posts, black railing and cable railing

This is a mock up of black posts, wood railing and cable railing

This is a mock up of wooden posts and railings

• gr8beauty
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for your input! Could be the paint fumes ive been inhaling all day but I don’t see where I answered my question ‍♀️‍♀️

it definitely goes with my house, which is more mid century. I prefer the openness of the cable railing and While I can make the black iron railing work as long as there is no scrolling in the design, just strain square posts or a geometric shape like my example, I am honestly really loving the cable railing.... I just want to know if the floating stairs and cable railing would scare people off.

• Lyndee Lee
    4 years ago

Horizontal cable railings don't pass muster here but obviously they are permitted in some jurisdictions. In addition, the 4.25 inch open riser wouldn't pass as well. If you completely replace the existing stair, you may be required to meet current codes which are likely different than when the house was built.

A cable railing and open risers would be a negative for me, if I was considering buying your home

• gr8beauty
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Lyndee Lee, 4.25 for the riser + the 3” tread equals 7.25 rise from step to step and that is plenty within regulations.

I was looking at vertical cable railing as well, I am just not overly fond of the look. I appreciate your input!

• cat_ky
    4 years ago

If it is what you want, then you should do it. Its your house. Yes, it would be a deal breaker for me, if I were looking to buy, but, there will be buyers that will love it.

• Lyndee Lee
    4 years ago

Riser height can't permit a 4 inch sphere to pass through, same as for railing.

• tatts
    4 years ago

gr8beauty: 7.25 inches isn't the issue at all. The issue is the gap. If it isn't up to code, you won't sell it (and it's dangerous for kids).

The other issue with the railing is that kids can climb on the horizontal cables.

• ksc36
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The 4" gap isn't really an issue in the design phase. Use > than 3.25" treads or use a small molding under the tread. I'm sure the fabricator will know about simple stair codes...

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

gr8beauty:

In your first picture, the handrail isn't continuous. That's a code violation in most areas. Whatever you do, make sure you design and build in compliance, please.

• gr8beauty
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Lyndee Lee, as ksc36 stated there will be molding added that actually makes the opening closer to 3.5" from what I see in the plans. The builder also mentioned how some people put a decorative rod in the middle of the opening. I have to look it up to see if that is something that I would like.

• gr8beauty
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am assuming this is what they mean in terms of a decorative rod spanning from stringer to stringer in the center of the rise r opening.

• cat_ky
    4 years ago

That rod makes those stairs even more dangerous than they already are. I can just imagine a toe going under that and getting hung up there and a very bad tumble. All in all, it just does not look like good design.

• gr8beauty
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am not really feeling that center rod. I was actually trying to get the stairs redone before I refinance (with cash out to finance my addition). I think I will just update the treads and the railing and knock down that half wall.

Ultimately, the staircase that I envision will cost more that I want to spend before refinancing... that money can go towards other things to fix/update.

Thank you all for your input!

• daisiesandbutterflies
    4 years ago

I would hesitate at floating stairs, not the cable rail. I think the floating stairs could be a deal breaker for me. And nothing would convince me that floating stairs are safe for small children.