chandan_ac

Wet underfloor heating for suspended timber floors

Chandan
3 years ago

I am renovating and extending my 1930s property. for the rear extension part, I am looking to go with underfloor heating and tiles. would like to go with the same for the existing floor space as well, however due to that being timber floor, I am unsure of the best possible solution for that .

I am aware the best option would be replace timber with concrete and put in underfloor heating, however that's turninbout to be too expensive. Are there any reliable alternatives other than going for electric uf heating and then adding tiles ?

Comments (6)

• PRO
    FRESH Architects
    3 years ago

Underfloor heating can work with timber floors too. Timber noggins can be added to joists, insulation laid between with the u/f heating on top

• Chandan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thank you, could you also advice if I can tile on floor boards or would that lead to cracking etc over time ?

• Victoria
    3 years ago

On my (timber) top floor I have wet UFH. It’s laid in a special board to guide the pipes, covered by a cement board, then a decoupling membrane and then tiled. Lived here 5 years, no cracking.

• Chandan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Victoria - Many thanks , Can you please tell me if the special board was put on top of the floorboards or on top of the joists ?

@Ikonografik Design I have heard about Omnie TorFloor and seen a few videos as well. Do you know how much they might cost per Sqm ?

• Victoria
    3 years ago

Joists. Our board with grooves was manufactured by Timoleon, who now call it Omnie. Price will be negotiable I imagine depending on volumes.
    You will definitely need a decoupling membrane, we used Ditra.