louisenzinmelb

Advice on heating - existing ducted heating, now new extension

louisenzinmelb
3 years ago

Hi all,

Currently in the planning stage of our first major extension and have a decision to make about heating and cooling.

We currently have ducted heating through the house, which seems to work fine - but is terribly noisey. We suspect it is very old without much maintenance. Unit is in the roof space. No cooling at present and as we have moved in after summer, we don't know how warm the house gets. It is double brick.

We are planning a flat roof extension, that will house an ensuite, main bathroom, a bedroom and then the open plan kitchen, dining and living.

It is still being confirmed with the engineer, however it is likely the extension will be on stumps rather than a slab. The bedroom and living/dining area is all north or north/east facing respectively.

Questions - do you think:

- it's worth getting the current system checked out to see if we can quiet it down and still use it for the old part of the house? Install a split system into the new bedroom and something else for the kitchen/living/dining?

- bite the bullet and get a whole new system installed under the house to feed up to all rooms (including cooling - yes, I know that cooling isn't optimal when coming from the floor, but I'd rather it be one system if possible)

We love hydronic heating but know we won't have the budget for it. We are in Melbourne so heat is a main concern, but I also hate the heat so cooling on a few days is still necessary. The master bedroom is on the south side so that's something!

For anyone who has gone through this recently, I'd love to know rough prices.

Thanks in advance.

Comment