kimmie7803

Which painting do you like better?

K 7803
10 years ago
I'm torn! The painting will go above a large expresso buffet. Walls are painted a greige color. Which painting do you like more?

Comments (79)

• K 7803
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It's wrapped on canvas on a wood board with oil glaze coating the top. From Ballard Designs.
  • dbh
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I agree with Donna Walker above. But giclee is simply an inkjet print. People like to use the fancy French term, because it sounds like something special. It is not; rather, it's a print produced on canvas, via an inkjet printer. In other words, you are getting a large inkjet print-- a copy of an original painting at a fraction of the cost. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but knowing she is making innumerable copies of her original painting (not a small limited edition, I'm guessing), I would either buy a lovely one of a kind original painting, or beautiful small photos (not digital prints) in a small limited edition, or print-making-- still affordable (lithographs, mezzotints, intaglio, etc).

I am an artist myself, and I feel it's never too late to become an art collector. Start small. Look for what you love and for originals (of whatever) in very small limited editions, or one of a kind. In the end, art should be something you feel you can't live without, and that moves you-- but it may as well be a smart investment, too-- and something that no one else has. Another great option is to check out university student art shows. You'll often find intriguing work at relatively affordable prices. And you might even collect the work of an aspiring artists before he or she becomes 'known.'
  • Related Discussions

Painting the exterior of our 1970 house - colour advice needed please!

Q

Comments (12)
    What a fantastic architecture. When you do the brick, if you stain it with masonry /concrete stain you won't have the same issues of maintenance as with paint. They will spray it evenly - through you will have to select a deeper color - either taupe (brown-gray) or a straight charcoal. Love your windows and the classic angled railing. I think a dark gray on the siding will make the orange brick jump even more. What bothers me is the white (railing, fascia, eaves) juxtaposed with the earth toned stuff. So I would recommend camel tones - for the siding - something like http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6108-latte/ and the hopsack next darker tone for the garage door. Use the lighter tan for trim that is now white - http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6107-nomadic-desert/ Use the darkest tone if you are painting concrete steps. If you think you will stain your brick charcoal, then the white eaves and trim are probably right, and you may not want to paint it tan now and then go back. If your brick were charcoal, then I would block out the rest in grays and blue grays - leave the white eaves, but take the railing and posts charcoal too. A blue gray door - like sw smoky blue.
    ...See More

Do you like tv cabinets or shelves?

Q

Comments (3)
    It depends on the style of the room as well. I don't like to see cables. I have the Cineline stand in the family room,. It swivels and I can store CDs, DVDs and the cables, behind the stand. Here is a photo of the unit in a catalog.
    ...See More

Can you get a good finish painting tiles?

Q

Comments (7)
    I recently saw this episode of Ask This Old House where they demonstrated painting tiles - especially as a solution to get one through till an entire redo is possible. http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tv/ask-toh/video/0,,20902001,00.html Looks like you are doing a great job!
    ...See More

Which knife suits you?

Q

Comments (2)
    I have all those knives in my kitchen, each has a specific purpose, however, if I had to only have one knife I would chose the serated one as it will fulfill many of the jobs at least even scraping scales off a fish. A good brand is better to have as the quality is important for knives, I do love the Santoku knive though.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Donna Walker, Artist
    10 years ago
    Kimberly-
    Here are a few more examples. These are really nice- I am not able to sell such large canvases for this inexpensive, but some artists are either just starting out, or do a high volume and can afford to keep their prices very reasonable. Etsy is a great place to find handmade, and unique items, and I agree, a bit tricky to search. I searched under "original painting large tree" but you can experiment with search terms. I think in your space you could try 30x30, 30x40, or long narrow, 20x40 etc...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/122541965/art-acrylic-painting-original-painting

https://www.etsy.com/listing/153217121/aspen-birch-trees-original-acrylic

https://www.etsy.com/listing/102597782/original-canvas-painting-enchanted

Let us know what you think. :)
  • Judy M
    10 years ago
    I like both but I think you could use some color in the room, so I vote 2
  • PRO
    Donna Walker, Artist
    10 years ago
    I am enjoying this! Shopping for art is fun, but of course, I would advise, thinking about what you love, and what grabs your attention the most, since you will be the one living with it. I find the paintings I love are ones I am never tired of looking at, and always make me feel something. I do buy other artists' work and have never regretted it.

I am partial to Pamela's work:
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/pamelam

Here is another nice one:
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/158547011/elena-original-abstract-painting-nature

and I think you could even get two smaller pieces to hang together, as another option.

I love this artist's work too
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/SherylSprattDesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/126200801/original-painting-mixed-media-abstract
  • Gwyn Carnegie
    10 years ago
    Maybe it's time to offer prints of my work on etsy! $300 is very pricey for a giclee.

I'd take Donna's advice and find an original you love. I've purchased lots of art both on Saatchi and on Etsy and been very happy. I loved 20x200 for photography but sadly they are gone now.

In cases where I could only get a print but wanted the feel of an oil, I've mounded the print on board and then gone over it with either a gloss or semi gloss acrylic medium to replicate brush strokes and oil varnish. Try it on a small piece first to practice.

For the record - I'd pick #1
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    I like #2
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    #2 it's has more teal.
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    10 years ago
    I'm an artist, and I sell a lot of canvas prints. Here's a point about prints. Printing, especially on canvas, costs a lot of money if you don't do it in volume. If you buy prints at chain stores, they either print it in house at very low cost, or send it to volume printers where they get good deals for printing thousands of giclees. This is why when you go to IKEA or Z-Gallery, the prints are so cheap. Also, with chain stores, the artists usually get shafted with very little pay.

With individual artists, they most likely don't carry inventory, so the cost per each print is more than double volume printing costs, which I'm guessing is the case with this artist. If you like the image, $300 for 40x40 is very reasonable. Think about it this way. You can't get it anywhere else!

By the way, I like #2. #1 is a little drab, but both are pretty nice.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    I prefer #1. It has a more pleasing composition. #2 is too static, IMO.
  • Nicole Lee
    10 years ago
    if the size of the space permits, why not hang both side by side. a lot of buffets have multiple photos above them.

Breakfast Area 2009 · More Info

Rustic Dining Room · More Info

Lake Calhoun Contemporary · More Info

LAS VEGAS Home · More Info
  • smdrovetto
    10 years ago
    I'm trying to visuallize an espresso colored buffet against a warmer taupe wall. Sounds nice.

If these pieces are 40 x 40, unless you have a very large room, and since it is above a substantial piece of furniture, you may want to consider if you want this to be a statement piece.

If you use the tree, since it is more recognizable, it could be your dominant piece in the room. Do you want that?

The other piece (see below) since it is a more textural piece, would not make as much of a statement.

Espresso is a very dark color. So you have a large block of dark color, and you don't say how strong the paint color is.

I would think an espresso buffet would need a rich (darker) paint color against it.

Also, it depends on how many accessories you have on the buffet.

The beige painting is really more of a textural piece, with less definition as actual trees. If you are wanting to highly accessorize, it would be the better choice, because there is less detail that could make the design look cluttered (remember to consdier scale, if you have high ceilings, especially). Buy larger items. The accessories should be in pewter, or grays, teal, etc since the painting is a warm color, the accessories should contrast.

If you are planning on very simple accessories, maybe a finial on each end and a large tray in the center, and you want a more literate rendering of a tree, the other would be nice. It has a lot more detail, so your accessories would need to be more simple.

It also depends on the undertone of the espresso finish of the buffet. Espresso can range from almost black, to a light yellow brown, and everything in-between. If the espresso has yellow undertones, the tree with the teal would contrast nicely.
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    FYI
    Espresso is a concentrated beverage brewed by forcing a small amount of nearly boiling water under pressure through finely ground coffee beans
    Expresso is a common misspelling of the word espresso.

Though I would share; I live and learn.
    Espresso Bark CSP-390 Paint · More Info
  • joyannello
    10 years ago
    If the wall could speak it would say #2 please.
    K 7803 thanked joyannello
  • K 7803
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So the teal tree gets the vote?
  • PRO
    N.O.R,LLC
    10 years ago
    I m thinking both looks nice it depend on your style are you planning to add more blue to the room or do you like the painting be the focal point ,what is the purpose of these painting to fill the empty space,to bring the color and texture to the room if you answer your question you would be able to choose the best option for your family room.i always tell my client do nt hanging mirror and art pieces should be the last part of your project when you realize whats missing on your design ?
  • kathleen MK
    10 years ago
    I like the composition of the first and the color of the second one.
    I saw one artist who did giclee prints of her paintings then added a few brush strokes to add texture and depth to her prints. Those were like signed originals in a series instead just copies. Giclees allow you to get an image you like when you can't get the original. Go with what you like.
  • foreverreno
    10 years ago
    I like the first one much better . I always prefer art that engages your eye and takes the viewer on a journey. The first painting takes your eyes to the right side of the image then guides your eyes around the painting. The second painting just sits there in your face. The spaces foreground and background are static.
  • flexnit
    10 years ago
  • foreverreno
    10 years ago
    Whoops I meant the left side. Your eyes travel to the left down the left side to the leave on the mid right, then up to the tree branches on the top right and then move back to the left.

Personally, I agree with those that say go for original art that you love. If you don't spend the 300$ on a giclee, you can find some good art at new artist artist studio tours, art college shows... You might also use frames and mats to make the image take up more space on your wall.
    Good luck
  • Keitha
    10 years ago
    I vote painting #1
  • inna1975
    10 years ago
    I vote painting #1.It freshens up the room and gives more colours to accessorize the room.
  • Anne Hahn
    10 years ago
    I loved #2 until I realized it makes your room look like November. Unless there are accessories to brighten things up considerably, I'd choose #1 for this room.
  • Maryna Zavgorodniuk
    10 years ago
    the second
  • dbh
    10 years ago
    You might feel differently (or not), if-- every time someone says 'giclee' here, you substituted 'inkjet' instead, which is what this is. If you're cool with that, fine. But it's nothing but a digital print on canvas. Once again, go for an original of something you love, not a cheap copy of the same (but realtively expensive to you).
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    dianahb, some people can only afford cheap copies. Nothing wrong with that.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    I have no objection to giclee prints. The image itself is the original work of the artist, it's a way for people to get affordable art when they can't afford the actual original canvas, and it helps support artists who can't command the prices that would make painting a viable means of support. If you love an image, if you're sure you want to look at it every day, you should buy it.

That said, because you are unsure on these two, perhaps it means you haven't yet found The One. Sometimes an image is so compelling, you just know it's the one you must have. So I would suggest you keep looking. Your wall won't suffer if it goes bare a bit longer.

Some alternate looks:
  • User
    10 years ago
    I like the composition of #1. Better proportions, scale, movement, balance.
  • dbh
    10 years ago
    Handymam, please read my original post for my thoughts on this. Original artwork (one of a kind, or a small limited edition) can be had for this price. Perhaps you won't get a mural sized original painting for $300, but something smaller- original- that you love as much AND it won't dominate the room. But my original post states all the reasons why not to buy this large inkjet on canvas.
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    First of all, it is handy mam, not man, lol. I did read your post, but I disagree if that is okay. Sometimes people just want what they like, and if they can have it by having a copy, then that is fine. I understand the artist thing, I also paint. But there is nothing wrong with her getting what she likes even if it is a print.
  • dbh
    10 years ago
    Noted and corrected, handymam. My iPhone keeps correcting.
    Again, never too late to become a real art collector. And I agree with statement above that if you're unsure (and have to ask others), then you're not really in love with either of these inkjets. My 2 cents.
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    Yes, I agree with you there. When buying art, even a print, it should speak to you, not merely match your furniture. If you really love it, that is what matters. And if you love it, you will know!
  • 14thstreet
    10 years ago
    I like the original art suggestions above from etsy... if you are still wanting a glicee, I've purchased several from this website and I found them to be great quality and value. This link is from an artist that I've bought a few pieces from already and similar to the style you're looking at.

http://www.gallerydirect.com/art/product/sara-abbott/enchanted-ii
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    I'd like to add a bit more to the discussion of digital prints.

I think the development of digital imaging and high-quality inkjet printing has been a boon to artists. It has expanded the art market from only the wealthy to the middle class. And it has allowed many more artists to be seen and make a living from their work. Only a few will ever command thousands for their original paintings, but there are many fine artists who can earn a decent income now by selling their prints.

The selling price of any original is determined by what a buyer is willing to pay. It bears absolutely no relationship to the cost of production, i.e. labor and materials. The average consumer doesn't know that a large, high quality canvas can be $100 or more, that a good brush is $20 and a great brush $100, that high quality paint runs $8-$20 a tube. Add hours of painting and agonizing and repainting, and the costs of production quickly mount. It's not hard to see why many artists have to keep their day jobs.

Giclee prints are good for artists and for those who want affordable art. I am all for anything that get more art out into the world.
  • dbh
    10 years ago
    Yes, but can we just call them what they are-- inkjet prints. This insistence in calling them giclee prints is nothing more than pretension, at best. I think if people want to purchase inkjet prints where there is no limit to the factory like production of them, then go right ahead. But know what it is you are buying. These are perfectly nice inkjet copies. If it were my $300, I'd buy something I love more, and ensure that it's original.
  • mcbriec
    10 years ago
    This is a bit over budget and possibly not the right size, but it is representative of landscape abstracts on Etsy that have much more character than the giclee prints IMHO.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/157927760/original-large-contemporary-textured?ref=related-5
  • PRO
    CB Interior Design
    10 years ago
    For your description of the color on the wall and the expresso buffet, I like the second one better. The first one will be too much of the same colors. In the second painting you are introducing the blues,golds and a little red. It will bring the space color and life.
  • PRO
    CONDE Construction
    10 years ago
    Second one is better. Much more dramatic. But both are very nice.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Whoops, I had to edit mine, I cited the wrong one. I should have said, "I like the composition of #1. Better proportions, scale, movement, balance."
  • patteach2
    10 years ago
    Can you tell me where you found these. I love them too, particularly the first one.
  • smdrovetto
    10 years ago
    Thank you, Judyg. My SiL and I had an expresso shop, and we had a blast! A lot of people would pronouce it expresso, I think because "express" is a word we are more used to in our language, and it kind of rolls off the tongue without thinking. I also wondered if some people connect it to meaning "fast", which I can also see.

I'm brave, so I'll admit to remembering (I was VERY young), a comic on Ed Sullivan, named Norm Crosby. He was hilarious, and his act was basically never using a word the right way, or pronouncing it correctly. Old school type comic!

It's easy to misspeak, misspell, or mistype, as I noticed in your comment. Unless you really meant to say, "though" is an idea in your mind produced by thinking :)
  • moonblue
    10 years ago
    I am confused. shouldn't it be eSpresso shop? And isn't the color named after the dark coffee? ESpresso?
  • Susan Stern
    10 years ago
    I'm favoring #2 and I love judyg's lamp picks.
  • K 7803
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wow! What a great response I got!!! Both paintings are from Ballard Designs.
  • sullenbj
    10 years ago
    I vote for #2..............love the pop of blues. More visually interesting if you want to pull in color to the room. Love the idea of getting them both if you had the budget to change them out seasonally but if you're like me budget is a concern..........love the 2 buffet lamp idea as well..........good luck and please post the result. :)
  • gynekl
    10 years ago
    I prefer the lighter painting.
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    The one with the tree and pick the turquoise out for the window covering
  • beattieboggs
    10 years ago
    The one with the teal blues/greens looks for more lovely than the other. It makes the room smile more.
  • hanna1984
    10 years ago
    I think this one is DEAD folks.........