mary_bills

Re-surfacing a claw foot bath

Mary Bills
3 years ago

We are looking at a property to renovate and it has an existing claw foot bath in excellent condition. I’m putting the budget together and am looking for a ballpark figure for changing the exterior colour from maroon to white.

The house is toward the eastern end of the south coast of the Fleurieu Peninsula in South Australia about 1.5hrs from Adelaide.

Q1. Any idea on how much $ to allow

Q2. Any recommendations for professionals that could do a great job

Comments (4)

• C P
    3 years ago

I have no idea but think you'll probably end up with a better result of you consider changing it to black or navy. That way you won't have to worry about potentially clashing with interior surface.

• bigreader
    3 years ago

Because it’s the exterior you don’t need to resurface as such. You can just paint. http://www.castironbath.co.uk/blog/painting-cast-iron-bath/ Here is a UK link where it is more common.

• Austere Hamlet
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Whether you DIY or get a professional it's not going to be cheap. To get a professional finish on it (Smooth and glossy) it will need to be sprayed on with a professional paint gun, the same type as used to paint cars. It will also need a resin-type of coating. Personally, I would contact those companies that do kitchen and bathroom resurfacing. They have all the equipment and do it for a living. They will be able to give you a ballpark $$ to budget.

If that bath is actually acrylic rather than cast iron it may be more cost effective to just buy a white acrylic version and sell the existing one to someone else. These baths come in around $1400 in acrylic.

• Mary Bills
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Turns out now that I’ve been able to inspect it in real life the agent misled us - or he just hadn’t actually checked himself - but it’s an acrylic one!