azam_mehboob

Floorplan for east facing trapezoid shaped block

Azam Mehboob
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi everyone,

I need suggestions in improving this existing plan for an east-facing trapezoid-shaped block. As you can see, the current plan builds along the northern boundary and my garden and living areas are facing south. Also, there is no protection on the western side for the hot afternoon sun in summer. I would like my garden and living areas to face north but it may be difficult to build along the southern boundary due to its angle. I would also like to add another bedroom (with a small ensuite) to this plan somewhere. I would be grateful for any useful suggestions.

Boundary offsets: As far as I know, the minimum boundary offsets are 5.5m, 4m and 0.9m from the front (east), rear (west), and either north or south, respectively. There can be a zero offset on one side; south or north.

Thanks.

Comments (64)

• differentways
    3 years ago

It would help if you added internal dimensions to the changes you have made

Azam Mehboob thanked differentways
  • differentways
    3 years ago

Pottsy99

"-- Personally , I don't like where the laundry is -- I'd have it 'in' the garage with folding doors , even if its in the same spot -- where it is now would be noisier , and harder to get to a clothes line

Pottsy99

you do know it's 2020 in ADL as well, where Laundries and dunnies have been moved from an out house in the back garden to inside the actual house. hate to admit it but I remember that time ,horrible

A laundry in a garage still takes up valuable floor space and in the burbs of ADL you expect a laundry room with a house of this size .

• Related Discussions

Opinions on floorplan wanted!

Q

Comments (16)
    Yes it is a bit further where we have the kitchen now from the garage - its hard to tell from these images of course(!) but we are on a hill site that has all front yard for entertaining and amazing view, so we wanted all of the areas possible to face out/open onto this. The back side is looking mostly at retaining wall so it would be quite dark if we put the kitchen on that end. The bedroom is the 4th one and as it is only my husband and I, it won't be used that often so we prioritized having the living areas bright and in the best spots over the guest bedroom.
    ...See More

1940's NZ kitchen - small, awkward-ish layout.

Q

Comments (121)
    I would suggest you take out the cabinet that is to the right of the stove and use it elsewhere in the house -- perhaps in the bathroom or dining room with a hutch above it. Then, I would suggest you have someone install a lazy susan cabinet in the corner between the sink counter and the stove, meaning you would move the stove down a bit and have a small cabinet/counter top to the right of the stove. I would suggest you have the cabinets refinished in white and then paint the walls a pastel you like. If you would prefer white walls, then add white-painted crown molding and paint the ceiling a light neutral blue, such as Sherwin Williams Niagara Falls Blue. Then, I would suggest you choose a favorite accent color and use this sparingly in accessories like towels, pot holders, small vases or floral arrangements, and a valence above the triple windows. For a genuine 1940s look, you might have white ceramic square tiles with a rectangular red border installed as a back splash behind and above the stove. If you are replacing counter tops, I would suggest a light color such as white with a beige or light grey vein or striation for some sort of pattern. You might be able to find the same color and design in floor tile OR opt for a wood floor as another poster suggested.
    ...See More

Need help with recovering couch

Q

Comments (93)
    Oh, okay, may need to clarify some more. If you get a new 2 seater in place of the 2 white chairs, fine, but no blue chair at all next to the 'new' 2 seater. Won't be right with a blue chair too. So what ones are you planning to recover?. If getting rid of part of it, not understanding. 2 different styles placed next to each other won't look right. I wouldn't like old blue fabrics next to new fabrics or next to 2 different styles of furniture. New 2 seater and old blue chair next to each other, not good :)
    ...See More

Small Media/sitting Room

Q

Comments (24)
    Oh so cool you noticed that we're trying to achieve a french country/industrial look or did we write that somewhere? I've attached some other photos of a bedroom and the foyer (of those we've taken so far), but are absolutely open to suggestions on a "beachy" feel as well or instead of. Although because its a beach house we don't want to go over board on expense and hence keeping what we already have, and just adding personality to it, if you get what we mean. Kingsize Black upholstered headboard to come in that bedroom.
    ...See More
  • Kate
    3 years ago

I’d never have a laundry in garage in melb. Too cold so depends where you are.
    I’d keep at least 1.2 m off southern boundary for walkway and planting strip to address poor visual from bedroom windows.
    Possible option running house along the southern boundary sketched, with no consideration of roof lines etc, this is just a mud map of ideas.
    I added trees for shade
    I like internal garage access into a mudroom/laundry space. Garages can be smelly spaces with car fumes.

Azam Mehboob thanked Kate
  • User
    3 years ago

The laundry , at present , is in the centre of the house , with a doorway that opens into the central hall . That means any wet washing has to be carted through the house , and even with a drier , it takes extra venting , you still get condensation , and its noisier . You also need some floor space to walk on .

If you had the laundry in the same spot , but closed to the house ( i.e. plastered walls ) it is quieter inside , you can have the 2 machines and tubs all in a row , the doors hide it when the garage door is open , but you can have the doors open when in use . .This gives you more overall space , quieter , and easier to vent . I can load a machine and push go in a couple of minutes , go back 40 minutes later and put in the drier or hang on the line , and then throw on the floor when dry hahaha .

But if you or the OP want a laundry inside in the middle of a house , go for it .

Azam Mehboob thanked User
  • differentways
    3 years ago

All I suggested was that the laundry is in the house not where in the house. Kate it's in Adelaide

• Azam Mehboob
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, @Kate and @oklouise. I really like the idea of building at an angle along the southern boundary to optimize space utilization. This will increase garden areas as well.

@oklouise; I thought the toilet should be along the boundary not in the middle of the house. Also, I would probably move alfresco to the northwest but overall I really like your design.

@macyjean: I have slightly modified the design by relocating the WIP, laundry dining areas. I did not yet incorporate Kate and okliouse suggestion to build at an angle but I would like to do that. It will give me more garden space. I have added dimensions to the modified design but I am not entirely happy with the 3x3 bedroom size.

• Kate
    3 years ago

I have an internal bathroom. Good skylight and a fan essential.

• Kate
    3 years ago

You wir and en-suite spaces look extremely narrow. What widths have you allowed

• Azam Mehboob
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@kate: I think overall area for ENS and WIR should be 2.5x4.5. ENS will not have a bath. At this stage I do not have a clear idea of how to use the available space to design a ENS and WIR but I’m happy to squeeze ENS as much as I can to have a decent WIR.

• dreamer
    3 years ago

I will be interested how wide you think your ensuite and WIR should be. Hanging clothes 500mm, room to walk and get changed 900mm. That leaves taking into account the dividing wall thickness, maybe 100mm, and outside wall thickness, maybe 900mm is left of your 2500mm total width, for an ensuite.
    This is very tight, and not ideal for a new build.

Azam Mehboob thanked dreamer
  • dreamer
    3 years ago

I would suggest you have a set out like this.

Azam Mehboob thanked dreamer
  • macyjean
    3 years ago

You've added a second ensuite to the room that was originally living/bed 4 with a door to the garage, so what are you planning to use the room for?

• Azam Mehboob
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@macyjean: it will be a guest room. Family members who visit regularly from interstate and overseas will occupy it. Other two rooms are for my daughters (5 and 7).

• macyjean
    3 years ago

How much privacy do they need, and what will you use the room for when not occupied by guests? I mean originally you had it as the thoroughfare to the garage and now it has its own ensuite?

• Kate
    3 years ago

Bedrooms should be min 3x3 pls 600mm depth robe, so 3x3.6 incl robe

• Azam Mehboob
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@macyjean: Privacy is not an issue and they can use the main entrance. It does not need a separate entry. It will not be used when there are no guests but it will be occupied 50% of the time as my mum will visit from overseas regularly and stay with us for four to six months.

• Azam Mehboob
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@kate: yes that’s why I’m not happy for the current 3x3 bedroom. I want at least 3x4 and I can get it if I get rid of linen closet and block the access to bedrooms from there but I do not want that. I want to keep that access open.

• differentways
    3 years ago

This with the master suite at the rear, with access to the ensuite from the garden for possible future pool use, and those needing to use a toilet without going through the house. The rooms on this western wall have windows set up under the eaves except for the glass sliding door to the ensuite.

Kitchen with extra long island which could be split into Island and table all at same height.

WIP,

The MFR, living, media, study off the family kitchen, can be closed off or left open to make a larger space and to allow light to come through from both the south and north.

The sloping glass wall between the family and alfresco will make this room light capturing the winter sun. As suggested before a Vergola pergola would make the alfresco usable anytime of the year, for Adelaide ADL hot dry summers and cold winters.

The Girls and guest bedroom moved to the front of the house, Laundry accessed from two sides, plus a Powder room, which could possibly have a shower worked into this area.

• differentways
    3 years ago

This also makes better use of the old hall wasted space between the bedrooms and family, instead using the entrance hall for the bedrooms as well

• macyjean
    3 years ago

I asked about privacy because originally you seemed happy for whoever uses the multi-purpose room as a bedroom to have everyone else walking through on the way to the garage and now you've given them their own ensuite which apparently won't be needed full-time.

I was going to suggest that if you want a guest ensuite and you are thinking to install a pool in the future it might be worthwhile if you find a way of giving the guest ensuite direct outside access so it doubles as a pool bathroom. But if the guest suite is occupied for half the year that might not work for you. But the room originally didn't have an ensuite, so I'm having trouble following what you want.

The vergola style is a good suggestion for a flexible alfresco roof responsive to the needs at different times of the year. Allow for it in your budget though. When we got quotes it was quite expensive.

Azam Mehboob thanked macyjean
  • ddarroch
    3 years ago

Yep, I think you're on the right track OP, wanting to locate your living areas to the north, away from the northern boundary. So build as close to the southern boundary as possible. Push the garage as far forward as possible, so that you maximise the account of room to its west for bedrooms.

Keep the home's footprint as simple as possible. Many corners will not only increase building costs, but will create a more complex roof. A more complex roof will not only increase costs, but will limit the roof area available for solar PV (& increase installation costs).

Angles will increase the cost somewhat, but think it's worth it in this case.

I really like OKL's plan, but also like wetrooms to be located on an exterior wall & have external ventilation when possible.

Azam Mehboob thanked ddarroch
  • HU-350531119
    3 years ago

There is no rule that says homes must have a rectangular, L-shaped or square footprint. Architects design for difficult sites all the time. I would suggest that with such a block you actually visit one and get an expert opinion. They will be able to optimise the functionality of your home and also the garden space around it. They can also come up with solutions you would not imagine and your home could look much better than anticipated.

The thing is, builders design for cost and convenience, of building. They don't design for livability. That's an architects job, they have been trained in spatial planning, building sensitively for the site and maximising your value for money. While the people on here are rather generous by helping to brainstorm, without that trained eye you could end up with a sub-optimal solution. For such a massive expense in building you want to make sure the plan is actually optimal or the best it could be.

I'm aware that a lot of people do not wish to pay for design services, it seems like an unwelcome expense people would like to spend elsewhere. But speaking from experience, good planning will save you $$ and it's money well spent. I typically help people who've already sunk thousands into gardens that they do not enjoy & feel disappointed by. Over half that expense would have been saved if they had their garden professionally designed in the first place.

Azam Mehboob thanked HU-350531119
  • Azam Mehboob
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@HU-350531119: Totally agree with you. I have an architect preparing the floorplan; I have shared with him the feedback I got from here. Will share his design here once ready.

@ddarroch: I also like OKL's plan and asked the architect to use it as a starting point but he advised me to keep the walls as straight as possible otherwise the angled walls will make living areas look odd from inside. Let him come up with a design and I will share it here.

• differentways
    3 years ago

Angled walls can add to the cost of a build but they can also add design interest, view and sunlight for difficult site's. Without knowing budgets we just offer up ideas to take to your chosen local Pro..

I am lucky to live in a 80's Architect designed house on a difficult site, it has angled walls to deal with this and uses Skillion roofs brilliantly to allow for best aspects

• differentways
    3 years ago

differentways/siriuskey

As per OKL plan internal bathrooms work really well with today's Skylights/roof windows. Compare the cost of normal window with a skylight.

These Laminated/ double glazed VELUX windows give better year round light, ventilation and privacy and can be fitted with internal blinds, auto or not and can be rotated.

When we did our 3 bedroom attic extension in our Federation house we used these windows and chose 360 rotating they were amazing.

• macyjean
    3 years ago

"asked the architect to use it as a starting point but he advised me to keep the walls as straight as possible otherwise the angled walls will make living areas look odd from inside"

Angles can increase work/cost but they can add architectural interest and they can enable more efficient use of space. I'm surprised at your architect's response.

Azam Mehboob thanked macyjean
  • differentways
    3 years ago

Just trying to give you an idea of what it would be like to open up to both sides of the house, along with angled mainly glass wall of the family room this space would be filled with light.

• Azam Mehboob
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you so much everyone for the valuable feedback. You are an amazing group of people. I am really grateful.

I provided my architect the floorplans shared here by @differentways and @oklouise. We have decided to keep both living areas closer to the kitchen and ALF so that we can accommodate more people (if needed in relatively larger gatherings). We also wanted to keep private access to the common bathroom that does not go through living areas. He came back to me with a plan (titled NORTH FACING below) that pretty much accommodates what we wanted but the covered area now reaching 261 square meters. I wanted to keep it under 250 sq meters due to my tight budget. The other issue is that we have relatively small gardens on both northwest and southwest corners and a long narrow strip along the western boundary.

This prompted me to draw a plan with bedrooms along the northern boundary and living area facing south (titled SOUTH FACING below). The resulting plan is relatively simple with just one hallway (north-facing had two). The main advantage is that now I have a relatively one bigger garden area in the southwest corner and the covered area is just under 250 sq meters with similar-sized rooms. However, now I won't have direct sunlight coming to my living areas and a part of my garden might not get sunlight at all except in the evening (from the west).

Now my question is should I stick to the north-facing aspect and sacrifice having a one larger garden area or (for this odd-shaped block) a south-facing aspect makes more sense. I know I can create more garden space with a north-facing plan by building at the angle along the southern boundary (Kate and OKL's plan) but I am already on a tight budget and do not want to further increase the cost with a complicated design. Is there any way for me to improve the south-facing plan to get more natural light into the living areas? I know skylights are one option but I read somewhere that in the summer the direct sun will be shining on top of your head. I am open to moving living areas and bedrooms around to improve it.

Thank you all in advance.

• differentways
    3 years ago

wouldn't OKLs internal bathroom with opening Velux skylight be on the southern pitch of the roof?

• PRO
    Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs
    3 years ago

Hi There, Looks like you are getting to where you want to be so not sure I should put my oar in!! pBut here goes, I really like Kate's plan that has bedrooms parallel to the south boundary: why waste that space too with zig zags. Loose the pantry, put that area into the living areas and I think you are getting better. Cheers Margot

Azam Mehboob thanked Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs
  • oklouise
    3 years ago

you will need a roof window for the guest ensuite but this variation might work for you

Azam Mehboob thanked oklouise
  • oklouise
    3 years ago

and you need to understand that the garage needs to be pushed back further than you had it so that the entry to the garage is wide enough for a double width door and this version of my suggestion shows how much extra garden there is north and west of the house and the living areas are easier to see without furniture

Azam Mehboob thanked oklouise
  • differentways
    3 years ago

And this moving the garage to the Northern boundary with double and single doors to allow access down the side which will be helpful for building a future pool. Also pulling the building back from the rear boundary to fit the pool and for a larger rear garden.

The marked rear court can be covered by the roof squ m shown or left open with pergola.

The living area needs the garage, front porch and covered court added to get overall size. ( plus all walls are 100)

The Master, guest and kids bedrooms are separated for comfort.

Love that 3 D OKL.

• differentways
    3 years ago

differentways/siriuskey

quote"There are no easements. There is an existing cross-over point for the driveway. I think it will be difficult to get approval from the council for the driveway to the other side due to a roundabout which is just after the adjacent property towards the north."

I think council won't have any argument seeing that there's already a house on your Northern boundary and closer to the roundabout

I know it will add to the cost of a new cross over but such an important issue will make for a better building

If you keep the double garage on the southern boundary you will have two choices either make it wider or angle the whole garage (as per my architects design.

If you look closely at the garage you will see that the car on the left will be compromised getting in and out because of the angle in of the boundary fence to the front boundary. cheers

• Azam Mehboob
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi everyone,

thanks for all the feedback and creative designs. We have decided to build along the northern boundary with a south facing garden. We believe this will maximize the garden space and will bring down the overall build area. Obviously the downside is that the living areas will get less direct sunlight. One way to improve the sunlight is to extend the living spaces from north to south. Alfresco can be moved to the western boundary to protect from the summer evening sun. I tried to sketch two plans that achieve that. Please have a look and suggest any improvements. I personally prefer the first plan (SouthFacing 1) but not entirely happy with the position of the meals area. South facing 2 plan has smaller rooms and odd position for the shared bathroom and laundry.

thanks.

• dreamer
    3 years ago

South facing 1. I do not like this plan. Your bedrooms are in the kitchen area. And I thought you said you could not build on the 4000mm back part of block? But you have put a covered area there? Maybe it's time to take your sketches to a professional for drawing up with correct set back information.

• Azam Mehboob
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@dreamer I reckon you can not have a wall within 4 meters from the rear boundary but an alfresco should be fine.

• PRO
    3 years ago

Hi there Azam, I have had a further play with this idea and come up with a plan I am sure will work to solve all the dilemmas and create a beautiful home taking advantage of the northerly aspect, have the rooms you want, And area to the north side for a lovely social area and garden. I would like to present the plan to you but find it difficult to get it onto here. If you could give me a ring I can take a picture and phone it to you. Cheers Margot

• differentways
    3 years ago

Azam we all make suggestions and post diagrams here as Margot has done in the past it's time for you to employ a local Professional to go forward with your home

• Azam Mehboob
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks differentways. You contributed most to this discussion and were extremely helpful with your plans and diagrams throughout this discussion. I already engaged a local architect but wasn’t fully satisfied with his work. I shall take it from here. Thanks once again.

• differentways
    3 years ago

It has been a pleasure working with you and I will continue to be interested in the best out come for you and your family's new home. Being a South Australian currently living NSW gives me a personal insight into living in ADL cheers

• differentways
    3 years ago

One last thing, It's your home and your decision, I feel it will be a costly mistake to build facing South, try reversing your plan, so that you end up with the bigger out door space facing North cheers

• Azam Mehboob
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@differentways: Could you please elaborate on what do you mean by costly? Is it costly to build or costly in terms of less natural light? To be honest, I am still not clear about the exact trade-off? Thanks

• differentways
    3 years ago

Aspect is so important it changes the light, extra costs in terms of heating and cooling and live ability your architect is trained to work with this cheers

• Bianca Gavin
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hi @azammehboob my husband and i are currently working on plans which will hace an angled wall in the garage like your plans. do you happen to hace any photos of the build? we are finding ut really diffucult to visualise. I’ve attached a photo of the site plan.

• PRO
    2 years ago

Hello Bianca, I thought that the site plan above was Azam's! I thought beauty: now I can get this plan right for him and the site at last. it has been going back fwd up down for ages! So I sat here and scribbled away as I love to do and blow me down! I am looking at your site dims and directions instead!! So here is a plan suggestion for your site with no idea where you are,

what you are wanting, what you like but a few of Azam's requirements! Have a look: it will use your northerly aspect far better than the outline on above: There is more space to the north and west..... much better for passive solar design: read much lower power bills..... Cheers Margot

• Bianca Gavin
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hi Margot, thanks for that. We aee wctually planning a doible story and the reason for the garage running along the boundary is becasue we wanted a triple garage. but the estate does not allow it. So next besf was extend the garage out and add a back roller door ( we heve a boat). we would love to see a view from the exterior.

• macyjean
    2 years ago

I wonder if the poster of the original question fixed the aspect.

Bianca, where's north and what's your climate?

• Azam Mehboob
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Bianca,
    My floor plan never materialised. I ended up giving up my plans to build the house on this angled block. Sorry, for a late response.