vabellc

Kitchen design help - IKEA kitchen

vabellc
3 years ago

Hello

We are getting our kitchen renovated and seeking suggestions as to the layout and the design.

Have had an IKEA planner come to help. I have attached photos of what our kitchen currently looks like plus the designs from IKEA. The new design includes an integrated dishwasher, hence there is a single sink plus drainer to save space.

Our kitchen is located in the centre of our small cottage house. It looks over the extension room (living area, dining area, small corner office). Next to the kitchen island is our Entry door!! - so it's small!

We aren't going to change anything where the fridge is (cabinets, floating shelves) as the cabinets are sturdy and to save on extra costs. We will replace the counter to match the counter of our new kitchen counter.

Counter: Have been quoted for the EKBACKEN worktop ash effect but I am considering the KARLBY oak countertop instead. Not sure if it will be too dark with our jarrah floor - Thoughts?

With a basic design kitchen I am thinking of adding colour through use of tiles - something Mediterranean or Mexican. And perhaps enhancing the style with brass coloured handles on the cabinets. Open to suggestions!

Thank you for your help :-)

CURRENT:

DESIGN FOR NEW KITCHEN:

Comments (19)

• Kate
    3 years ago

Have you got a full floor plan of house. With dimensions.

• vabellc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Kate, no I don't. As we aren't changing anything outside the kitchen and won't be changing the house structure at all, just thise space, I didn't think that would be necessary?

• Related Discussions

Kitchen design help

Q

Comments (15)
    Looks like you have several things to consider in the layout. What the view out the window ? Do you really want to see more of whats outside? Cooking is always best on the outside wall to get it vented, island cooking is a last resort, downdraft dont work well at all and the island hood is typically obstructive. Looks like the wall should come out to open the space up. Best advice is to have a designer come to your home and see it in person. There are costs associated with every change and it is very difficult to judge just from photos.The design phase is the most important part of any kitchen remodel the builder is only going to install it as the plans layout. Find a great designer that makes house calls :)
    ...See More

Need help with Kitchen Design

Q

Comments (4)
    I would balance the fridge cabinet wall by having the fridge centred between two narrower pantry cabinets as it currently feels far to heavy for your space. Alternatively, I would recommend having a narrow pantry on the left of the fridge with a full height cabinet with counter on the right with an upper cabinet above. This would help your space feel larger.
    ...See More

need help to design all in one kitchen and living

Q

Comments (2)
    curt off by a mm and its the room with the sink and wood burner
    ...See More

Need help for the small kitchen design!

Q

Comments (1)
    I think the only way you can do that is to swop the positions of the oven/range and the storage drawers. I'm sure it's doable, but there might be practical problems.
    ...See More
  • differentways
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

You need to supply dimensions of the existing kitchen plus any openings, windows and door sizes including the Nib wall opposite the door

• Kate
    3 years ago

Sorry just reread your dilemma. You are after colour advice not design. I’m not sure what the ikea colours are.

• differentways
    3 years ago

"seeking suggestions as to the layout and the design."

• Kate
    3 years ago

I know you want to keep costs down , but have you thought of moving the back door to the right

• juliahocking
    3 years ago

Hi

Perhaps thinking 'out of the square' will help here.

While keeping costs down is important, creating a more efficient work area is too.

Use the u-shaped work area, but turn it 45 degrees, so it runs from large opening around corner and up to door, then level with the (back?) door - into the room.

This will leave the centre of the room open to access refrigerator and full height pantry and storage right along the opposite wall. I read that you want to leave this area as is, but this maybe a better use of the space.

It may even be worth it to remove the small breakfast bar on the other side of the door and create a longer bar area with more cupboard storage underneath. This would demarcate the work area as well.

The exposed beams in the adjoining room suggest 'country style', so staying with white cupboard doors and timber bench tops sounds good. Maybe brass cup handles and brass taps would finish the theme. Keep the tiles simple for long lasting style. What is your favourite colour? Use that!!

I'll try and find some photos to show your my ideas.

Enjoy the project - let us know what you decide.

• juliahocking
    3 years ago

Found some pictures!!

Rustic Industrial Kitchen · More Info

Contemporary Kitchen · More Info

Classic hand painted Shaker kitchen in shades of grey and white · More Info

White and Warm · More Info

Classic With a New Angle · More Info

Classic With a New Angle · More Info

Hope this gives some inspiration.

vabellc thanked juliahocking
  • PRO
    ABI Interiors
    3 years ago

Kitchens have always been described as the heart of the home.
    So when you picture your dream kitchen, what sort of images come to mind?
    Are you loving the Modern Industrial style or maybe a Hamptons style kitchen is your current crush?
    Whatever you’re in to, we’ve got some amazing inspo for you!
    Check out some of these gorgeous kitchens that our tapware has recently been used in…

Sure, functionality in the kitchen is important. But you want it to look amazing as well.
    And with so many styles being popular at the moment, it’s no wonder we find it hard to make a decision!
    Your perfect kitchen is a series of careful choices. So we’ve gone ahead and done some of the hard work for you, and come up with the ultimate inspo list.
    From Coastal to Industrial, and everything in between, let’s find your kitchen style…

What Dreams Are Made Of

With so much inspiration floating around on the net, socials and glossy magazines, it’s so easy to fall into the trap of indecision. And just when you think you’ve nailed down the perfect kitchen, your thrown off track again because some other kitchen design pops up on Instragram.

Creating a beautiful moodboard and pinning all your faves is the best way to start. Stalk all your favourite suppliers and designers social pages for up to the minute inspo.

So then it’s just a matter of finding a common theme. It could be a cabinetry colour, backsplash tile, kitchen benchtop or even your tapware colour.

Build your style from there. Maybe you pinned lots of black cabinetry, concrete benchtops and gunmetal tapware? Sounds like you’re into the Industrial Style.

Crushing hard on marble benchtops, shaker style cabinets and polishedchrome tapware? You’re definitely leaning towards a Hamptons style kitchen, for sure!

If modern is more your style, you’ve probably got loads of neutral, clean finishes on your moodboard. White push-to-open cabinetry, stone benchtops and brushed nickel tapware is probably more your vibe.

• dreamer
    3 years ago

Dimensions would be good to give suggestions for your request for layout and design choices.

• Kate
    3 years ago

It’s hard without dimensions but what about ditching the peninsula and adding an island as big as you can that houses dishwasher and drawers. It can extend past door and do away with the butcher block island you have.

• Kate
    3 years ago

It would really help to move the door. But that could be staged

• vabellc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Kate - Whilst I appreciate moving the door would be a great idea, it joins up to our laundry and the door is directly across from the laundry external door that leads to the side garden. I will take photos to show what I mean.

Juliahocking - thank you for your suggestions. I am inspired by adding in cupboards/pantry on the opposite wall. Regarding flipping the kitchen 45 degrees, I have added measurements to clarify the space, and if I understand you correctly, there isn't enough room to flip the u-shape (although it is a great idea).

I have added another (old) picture that shows the entry door, and next to the entry door is a sideboard/side shelf - this is where our butchers block/island is situated - so gives you an idea of the limited space.

Old photo: Entrance door on the left. Next to the door is where the butchers block sits, underneath that painting.

• juliahocking
    3 years ago

Another thought - does the door to the laundry have to be hinged? Would it help to have a cavity slider there instead. This would free up space in the kitchen area, as no 'swing space' would be necessary.

It is difficult for me to comprehend the photo you have added - where is the kitchen now located?

ps Love the floor boards!

• differentways
    3 years ago

siriuskey/differentways

I would completely rethink the kitchen even though plumbing would need to be extended across the room under what i think is a timber floor. The Kitchen is currently positioned between a rock and a hard place caused by opening up of walls thus the large opening and the Nib wall control the space.I have included a lovely barn door between the kitchen and laundry

• differentways
    3 years ago

If there's a load bearing situation a support post can be incorporated at the end of the Island which would in with your Mexican theme

• Kate
    3 years ago

My island plan to scale. What is the area below the kitchen used for. Is that a wall at the end of that space or does the room continue?

• vabellc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Please ignore dimensions (kitchen) but you can see the house layout

There is a space adjoining kitchen to extension with small steps (steps down into the extension room) and you can see the space leading to extension in this photo:

• differentways
    3 years ago

OKL plan and a photo to go with that from the same post doesn't work with my suggestion as the hall was shown as a window