hzdeleted_6864869

Stormwater kerb and guttering profile change

User
3 years ago

Stormwater runoff from a nearby road is entering my property and causing erosion of the verge and earth driveway. I have applied to local council (NSW) to have kerb and guttering installed before i get my driveway surfaced however they will only permit roll top kerb. The problem is that standard profile kerb and guttering 150mm high ends at the upside boundary of my property and collects 140 m of run off from the nearby road. Will a rolltop contain the volume and velocity of water? There is no drainage pit in my small street and council will not put one in. I am concerned that the change in profile will be insufficient to manage the water that flows downhill.

Comments (6)

• oklouise
    3 years ago

can you add a slight mound higher than the gutter on your side when you surface your driveway

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    3 years ago

Discuss with a hydraulic engineer and councils own engineer. As oklouise suggested it'll probably require a mound higher than gutter. You may need the driveway designed by an engineer to be compliant.

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for comments, and suggestions because the verge (and my driveway) were originally higher but eroded with the sheer volume and velocity of water flowing down from the road. The lack of a drainage pit means I am concerned that whatever work I get done is impacted by that. I will continue trying to find out who the council drainage engineer is and speak with that person, however the council worker (non engineer) who inspected the site said flat out council would do nothing except put a bitumen hump in again and wait and see. The concreting contractor said not to think about stormwater but only about the driveway, however those 2 issues are connected. If the council engineer has software to determine water flow and could provide some solid technical evidence to mitigate risk of failure when 2 different kerb profiles are joined up I would be going in eyes wide open rather than taking a chance.

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

UPDATE - process stalled and complicated by inadequate file management by council, divergent opinions on standards and quality and intrusion by neighbour who applied to have right of way access across the verge adjoining my property (neighbour has own layback and kng). Seems like project gazumped/overtaken so applied to acess to my file to sort out confusion but not permitted to have notes about meetings and decisions that the neighbour has had using my file reference including notes like raising something 5mm! In for the long haul trying to deal with this scenario, thanks for the previous suggestions.

• Kate
    3 years ago

Good luck

User thanked Kate