webuser_98901409

Advice needed for small bathroom

MA
3 years ago

We are doing a complete reno of our main bathroom (strip out, new tiles, walls and all fixtures, leaving plumbing as-is). 2.5m by 2.5m. so not a very big space.

1) (shower pic attached) I love the idea of a walk-in shower. The wall on the right as you enter the bathroom is 2.5m. so with the space I have, is it possible to have a walk-in shower and will it be too impractical? I dont mind a little bit of splatter but I dont want the bathroom entry to be a slippery mess.

Thinking of 1) Rainfall shower head 2) A longer shower glass (single pane) 3) A secondary drain at the edge of the shower sloping back to the existing drain

to make the walk-in shower happen. Thoughts?

2) Also want to reclaim a bit of space by having a wall-hung toilet with a concealed cistern. There is a window above the toilet. Is it still possible to have a concealed cistern?

Comments (36)

• oklouise
    3 years ago

walk in shower needs the whole floor to be lowered to allow for enough slope ... start by talking to a plumber and tiler before thinking about tiles and taps

MA thanked oklouise
  • PRO
    MA
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@oklouise thank you, I will do, am preparing some questions to ask. Which would be your closest answer 1) Cant say more based on info provided 2) May work well with the right tiles/taps/slope 3) have a chat to the plumber, but the walk-in shower is a stretch.

Thanks again

• Related Discussions

Need help with my bathrooms

Q

Comments (3)
    Lindsey, I see you have a couple inspiration boards, use ideas for colors, styles, finishes, faucets, counter tops, etc for your new home, just on a smaller scale. Maybe find your dream bath and copy those finishes into your small space. Vanities ideas could include an antique piece repurposed. Tile can be cold, yet, carpet and wood do not do well in wet areas. With that said, there are heating systems available now that are installed beneath the tile to take the chill off. My other trick is using one large rug runner to almost fill the size of the area instead of tiny bath mats.
    ...See More

Awkward bathroom - needs a complete makeover and new layout. Ideas?

Q

Comments (6)
    Third vote for getting a professional involved, but i'll still offer my layman's suggestion given that you're just soliciting general ideas at this point. If it was my space, I'd switch the bathroom and the laundry room around, keeping just one of the walls currently enclosing the toilet. Its hard to estimate precise measurements from the drawing, so it may not be feasible, but here's what i mean
    ...See More

Need help for one of the bathrooms.

Q

Comments (2)
    Have you found a bath small enough that will fit in the space?
    ...See More

Bathroom reno advice for very old bathroom

Q

Comments (5)
    Maybe look beyond the footprint of existing bathroom. We renovated a bathroom where we were able to have a seperate large shower and keep the bath by incorporating a built in cupboard in a bedroom room adjacent to the bathroom. New Free standing storage in that room has resolved any issue with the loss of the built in.
    ...See More
  • oklouise
    3 years ago

don't think about taps and tiles until you clarify options for the floor...to have a walk in shower the whole floor needs to slope into the shower so that would possibly need the original floor to be lowered ie remove the tiles and the solid base (concrete slab?) underneath... not impossible but before planning or demolishing anything talk to the plumber and tiler...if you decide to remove the whole floor you may find that it's no more expensive to rearrange the fixtures at the same time`

MA thanked oklouise
  • Kate
    3 years ago

It’s a bit tight to avoid door jam getting wet

MA thanked Kate
  • siriuskey
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Sorry but the shower space is too small for a walk in shower without enclosing let alone have a rain shower head. The only way to have a walk in shower would be to swap the bath with shower using a 1500 bath. Can you grab space from else where, any floorplan showing other rooms

MA thanked siriuskey
  • siriuskey
    3 years ago

Where is the vanity as It doesn't appear to be shown.?

MA thanked siriuskey
  • PRO
    MA
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@siriuskey Thank you for the inputs. I will post a picture of the remainder of the bathroom a little later today.

• PRO
    MA
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@siriuskey and others: remaining photos

• PRO
    MA
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Showing the position of the drain

• PRO
    MA
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Current layout on the left, desired layout on the right.

• PRO
    MA
    Original Author
    3 years ago

What I am trying to do:

1) avoiding major digging into the concrete, keeping works in the concrete to minimal. (not due to cost, but due to apprehension about it impacting structural integrity)

2) I would so love a walk-in shower.

I have attached a picture showing current and desired layout.

Do you think the desired layout is achievable without major works on the concrete slab

1) swing the vanity around to the other wall, would be similar distance to the floor drain

2) Moving toilet to the opposite wall (would saniflo help avoid major waste relocation)

newbie, so please go easy ;). Its hard to get hold of tradies at this time of the year, so work would have to be done in the new year and I am trying to narrow down to a couple of options before we start getting quotes.

Thank you for the responses so far

• PRO
    MA
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@siriuskey now that is a layout I did not think of. so thank you. I am eagerly waiting for my wife to return from work so I can see what she thinks.

You have moved the bath slightly (just moved it to the right along the same wall) and moved the vanity adjacent to the bath. (this will also give us the option of a longer than 750mm vanity we have presently, so I like that too) I am assuming they both can share the same drain line which the bath is using currently back to the floor waste. so hopefully not a major major plumbing redesign?

Thanks again for your response and coming up with an alternative idea. Appreciate the input.

• siriuskey
    3 years ago

By moving the vanity it will open up the entrance into the bathroom with space for a towel rail plus one above the bath. the new longer shower can either be with or without a door still keeping water away from the entrance and vanity, looking forward to hearing what your wife thinks,

MA thanked siriuskey
  • PRO
    MA
    Original Author
    3 years ago
  • siriuskey
    3 years ago

but without the return as it contradicts having the larger shower, it would be better to have a frame less glass door

• Kate
    3 years ago

I think from photos your door is on the wall with existing vanity as follows, which still works with this layout

MA thanked Kate
  • siriuskey
    3 years ago

Yes it is but I think how ShanB now has the door on the other wall gives privacy when using the shower with a glass shower screen, a glass screen also takes up less of an already tight floor space. Plus adds privacy for the toilet

MA thanked siriuskey
  • PRO
    MA
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@siriuskey Wife (tentatively) likes the design. "Why didnot we think of this" was her first reaction. She is not willing to give me 1500 for the shower, (she wants it slightly smaller) but is willing to negotiate. We will ask the plumbers/tilers if they can make this design happen.

On the opposite wall, we want to have a 900 mm vanity, so with a 900 vanity, we are thinking 1500 corner bath so that would leave a 100 mm gap between the bath and the vanity. Is that a bad thing to leave the gap?

The other choice is to have a 1600 bath which with a 900 vanity would be very tight.

Also I almost did not notice the door positioning in your reply :D. The door cannot go in that space as there is a bedroom and a wardrobe there. The door has to stay where it is, but I do have the option of making it a sliding door if I need to get rid of it.

@siriuskey @kate thanks again for the inputs.

• siriuskey
    3 years ago

No problem with the door, I just thought you had moved it to work with others things you had planned..

Keeping the door in the original position the wall at the end of the shower I would make a full height tiled Nib wall for privacy, apparently your wife won't mind losing a bit of shower space. The corner bath I wouldn't do they went out of style years ago, are they returning?

The vanity would but up to the 1500 x 800 bath, no gap.

• PRO
    MA
    Original Author
    3 years ago

with the bath I meant something like this.

https://www.vizzini.com.au/products/free-standing-baths/duo-freestanding-shower-bath-1500mm-detail.html

I thought that bath looked good.. may be I am starting to become old fashioned ;) or corner bath is not what I think it is (may be you are thinking the square ones)

Your last line was not clear. "The vanity would but up to the 1500 x 800 bath, no gap". I am guessing you mean the gap is a bad idea and to measure and build a vanity to fit so there is no gap?

• Kate
    3 years ago

I’m not sure how you would clean the floor around that bath with only 100 mm to vanity. You would need to protect the vanity from water from bath if they abut. Can waterproof and tile tile up side of vanity.

• PRO
    MA
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The above linked bath goes flush against the wall on 2 sides. (comes in both free-standing and back to corner wall styles). Just needed the one side (facing the vanity) cleaned from time to time. 10cm should be enough to do that. Protecting the vanity is a different issue altogether. something to think about, thanks for flagging.

• siriuskey
    3 years ago

Any small gaps should be avoided, If you were to BUTT the vanity up against the end of the bath, you would need to use a grout/sealer the same as you would use between the tiled wall and the bath. The cabinet material would be water proof, but I would be happy to go with a good quality floating cabinet.

I re did your bathroom last night so this new one has a short Nib wall between the bath and vanity.

What size is your door and what size surround has been used

Do your research and visit plumbing display stores and ask questions. cheers

MA thanked siriuskey
  • PRO
    MA
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Is it still possible to have a concealed cistern where the toilet is currently with the window where it is currently?

• PRO
    MA
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We made progress! The suggestion here to move the vanity has worked really well for us and opened up the bathroom. Just waiting for the shower screen to go in. Our first major renovation and it has been a great learning experience. Thanks guys

• dreamer
    3 years ago

Wow, you have so many different surfaces and colours, but it does seem to work. Well done.
    Just don't forget to take your stickers of the toilet.😉

MA thanked dreamer
  • me me
    3 years ago

well done, looks awesome

MA thanked me me
  • PRO
    MA
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@dreamer yes.. we kept buying all the individual bits and pieces (we project managed this ourselves) and only later in the piece we realized we have a few different colours going on, something to learn for next time, but definitely something we are happy with. Yeah stickers are off now since we took the photo :D,

• siriuskey
    3 years ago

What a great result you must be tickled pink, love the choice of materials., I guess you now have project B planned

MA thanked siriuskey
  • Kate
    3 years ago

What a great transformation well done. I really like the lighter timber vanity against the timber look tiles., and the brass handles also help to brighten the black fronts.

MA thanked Kate
  • PRO
    MA
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@siriuskey: we love the finish and we are happy for the experience and documented some things we would do differently next time we do a bathroom. You are right, next up is the kitchen. Project managing the bathroom ourselves has helped us save a bit of money that I am parting with by handing over the kitchen design to a good kitchen renovation company. Less decisions to make for us. Renovations are hard work, but nice feeling when we get to the other end of the tunnel :D

• PRO
    MA
    Original Author
    last year

Realized I had not posted pictures of the finished product (mirrors and all)! This is like my favorite room in the whole house :D

• oklouise
    last year

congratulations...looking forward to seeing what you do with your kitchen

MA thanked oklouise
  • PRO
    MA
    Original Author
    last year

This is what we did with the kitchen :)

• siriuskey
    last year

Beautiful room, what a lot of work to get such a beautiful result, bring on the kitchen

MA thanked siriuskey