anotherdumbass

Is laundry counted towards dwelling limits?

Another Dumbass
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I really only just started searching granny flats over the past few wks, so apologies in advance for the dumb q. ¬ The property we're abt to buy has a tiny 2 bedder and there's enough land to put a granny flat, which will end up bigger than the main. ¬ Anyhow, because granny flat is 60sqm Max, I'm trying to work out if laundry is considered habitable space? And then if it's worth it. ¬ I'm thinking of sticking the ldry at the rear of the house. Most likely it'll be a closet style laundry that sits out back (probably near the back door) underneath the verandah/balcony so it's protected from the elements. ¬ I'm hoping this'll mean I can get away with excluding it from the 60sqm...but if I have to include it, then I'll find a way to make the door accessible from within the house. ¬ Thoughts?

Comments (2)

• oklouise
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

check with the local council about your specific block before committing otherwise we may give a general answer for a specific question that can be different depending on what you are aiming to achieve...why do you want two dwellings on the block?.. ask Council about maximum building footprint (and what's included) but do not use the term granny flat as the answer may not include you specific plans...or choosing an alternate or flexible option might suit you just as well but ask can you have separate buildings and maximum setbacks between building and all four boundaries etc

• dreamer
    3 years ago

In WA we have the R Code system. This dictates the total allowed percentage for buildings and open space on the block. Each suburb has areas of different R Codes. It is not habitable space, but open space to building space ratios. Laundry would be a building.
    As we don't know which state you are in, then as oklouise mentioned, you need to check with your council for the specific rules for your piece of land.