brefin

Repairing after a split crotch to a Japanese Maple

brefin
3 years ago

Hi,

Just thought I’d share this because I thought it might be interesting or helpful to some people on here.

Exactly a year ago through an accident I split apart the fork/crotch of one of the branches on a Japanese Maple I’d only just planted, I tied it together at the split and higher up the branches immediately and went straight to the internet for suggestions as to what to do.

I came across a series of videos of people bolting together snow damaged branches so I though I’d try that out.

I bought a brand new 5mm drill bit and a 5mm stainless bolt (read that tight spaces leaves less room for infection and it can seal off better), cleaned it all, drilled a hole through the highest part of the split and installed the bolt.

I tighten the bolt till it had pressure and didn’t over tighten because I though that might do damage, I left 2 ties in place to help hold until the tree had grown a little, one at 4 inches above the split and the other about 2 foot, I didn’t girdle the branches with the tiles and just did one loop around both the branches.

I removed the ties at the start of the following summer and even with all the crazy storms we’ve had it’s held together, looks like it should be ok, here’s some photos of a year ago and now.

Comments (5)

• oklouise
    3 years ago

how kind are you to share your excellent results.. such a tragedy to lose a lovely tree when there's other options....we have several gorgeous mature Japanese maples and will store your advice for future reference, many thanks

• brefin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That’s not a problem at all, while looking for a way to fix the problem I never came across how the tree looked or what happened after the repair was done, always thought it would be helpful to someone to see what could happen afterwards

• fianou luca
    3 years ago

wow I had no idea you could do something like that! It's so nice to see the tree saved. Maples are fairly slow growing so it's nice to save it.I have baby birches dotted around the lawn and I live in fear the kids will snap them off by falling on it.

• brefin
    Original Author
    2 months ago

How it has healed 4 years later in February 2024

• Julie Herbert
    2 months ago

That’s fantastic, what a great achievement, it is definitely thanking you for giving it a new lease on life.. just beautiful.