zaffa

help with crepe Myrtle pls

zaffa
3 years ago

Hello all. Could anybody pls tell me what could be the problem with my Crepe Myrtle? The tips are brown and the leaves are yellow. Planted in Melbourne in November. Faces west (which is good orientation as CM likes full sun and is drought tolerant). Weekly irrigation (deep) plus rain water. When planted, watered every 3rd day. Have been using Seasol fortnightly. Any tips? Thanks

Comments (14)

• zaffa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is what it was like one month ago

• zaffa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Any tips anyone?

• me me
    3 years ago

As it's deciduous, it looks like it is starting to get its autumn leaves.

• me me
    3 years ago

I'm close to Brisbane, just checked mine and the leave are starting to turn as well.

• J Wright
    3 years ago

Yes, I think it is fine, that's how mine look after the flowers finish. I always thought mine were just sunburnt but I think Me me is right, the leaves are just turning.

• zaffa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks to you both. I was wondering whether it was over or under watered. That’s a relief!

• zaffa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Isn’t it a little early for the leaves to start change colour in preparation for autumn though?

• me me
    3 years ago

Today is the first day of autumn.

• julie herbert
    3 years ago

Hi Zaffa, it’s extremely dry in Melbourne, I have had to water more often than usual, maybe check that your plants soil is retaining moisture, I would up the watering until leaf fall, just to give it a bit more water than you would normally do at this time , it’s incredibly dry at soil level

• zaffa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Julie, soil is moist. When I pull back the mulch the soil is definitely retaining moisture. And I think dry soils would not cause yellowing of leaves? But I could be wrong...?

• julie herbert
    3 years ago

It’s just so hard to say zaffa, we have had the weirdest of summer, don’t give up hope, once it drops its leaves in a month or so it should be ok for next spring, I have viburnum with sunburn and that’s never happened before, talk about gardening as stressful this year .

• zaffa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Julie! As always 👍

• dellaslynch
    3 years ago

Ours are always like that - don’t worry, they tend to brown off in the summer, they will fall in the autumn and grow back beautiful and green in the spring :-)

• zaffa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks. The ones I am seeing around the neighbourhood don’t look like mine. Fingers crossed it’ll be ok 🤞🏼. Do you cut the flowers off your tree? It’s not definitive either way in my web searches...