suex

window shutters PVC or timber?

suex
2 years ago

I have my heart set on plantation shutters in both my bedroom and theatre rooms and am undecided as to whether to purchase PVC or timber. I understand the PVC are less maintenance but can also discolour in quite a short time or have they improved of late? Any advice I have found to date has been quite old. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (3)

• User
    2 years ago

Timber anyday . I'm definitely no tree hugger , but when you can choose between natural or PVC , why would you go fake , even if it is 1/4 or 1/2 the price ( within reason obviously ) .

• dreamer
    2 years ago

Timber can also discolour if they are not maintained. They dry out from the sun, and need oil rubbed into them.

I have white PVC shutters throughout my home. They are still as white as the day they were installed - 6 years ago.

• kiwimills
    2 years ago

I've been researching too, as I was wanting them.
    If you like dust..then wood. As they are much harder to clean than pvc I was told
    Wood was cheaper...
    But I want ease, with a duster!

Not sure re colour change as I was looking at White.

Anyway...not getting them as I wanted 1 long one, 600x2130 twice,
    (2 lounge Windows )
    Couldn't do it without having two shutters on one window, as Windows too long, not strong enough in one long shutter,
    wanted a stick to adjust them....couldn't do it, had to use hubbies dirty fat hands to open and shut them, as he gets up first, and it's his OCD thing to open curtains then Windows..reverse each night
    all 4 would be different angles..
    Front of the house...not worth my time cleaning dirty finger marks, and making sure they are all open at same angle each morning. I wouldn't get out of bed!
    $1750 for the two windows.
    $500 for fat venetians with tape and a wand, so they have a similar look.
    Pull cord can be hidden inside box at top.

Sorry..just had to get that all out..

As I wanted shutters!
    :(