christopher_bosevski

Draftsman or Architect?

Chris Bos
2 years ago

Hey everyone!

Looking to get some plans drawn up for our extension. I was wondering if people opt for a draftsman or an architect for their renovation plans? If so any recommendations around Melbourne area?

Comments (2)

• PRO
    NJR Studios
    2 years ago

Hey Chris,

The answer to your question would be based on the scope of works, experience and personal preference.

An architect will generally hold your hand throughout the whole process and generally offer project admin, whereas they will act as the project supervisor from design all the way to handover. This means lodging of the application, material selection, project management and all associated admin. Some architects charge a percentage of the cost of works for this service ranging from 7-15%.

A draftsman/ building designer (which is what I am) will generally not handle all the project admin, but will still be there to help you throughout the process. They also operate on a fixed price and is specific to the scope of works and the extent of involvement you want from them.

My personal method is to carry out the design work with the client and get a builder on board early so project budgets can be achieved. I carry out all the design work, council approval or certification drawings and construction drawings. I select basic materials throughout the process and leave the finer things up to my client and the builder.

Your next question should probably be CDC or DA.

Unfortunately I'm based in Sydney, but am happy to give you any advice on the overall process.

Also below is a link to 15 building designers in Melbourne. Good Luck!

Melbourne Building Designers

• Chris Bos
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hey NJR! Thank you so much for your advice, it’s truly been valuable.

Also thanks for offering your time. I do wish you were in Melbourne, you profile looks amazing.