webuser_430898938

Snowy mountain quarter or vivid white shaker cabinets

G D
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi

I need to let me kitchen designer know in the next day or two which colour to go for on my new kitchen and I just can't decide between SMQ and VW.

Our workers cottage faces west and doesn't get a huge amount of natural light but we have opened up the back wall and put in a velux which has added more light. There will be cypress timber floor and I'm using brushed brass hardware. I prefer a warmer look and I feel that SMQ would suit the older style home but I'm afraid it will throw grays or yellows or look dirty. Has anyone used SMQ in their kitchen, would love to hear other's experience.

here is a pic of the old cabinets which I painted in both colours

Pantry:

LHS is VW

RHS is SMQ

Wall unit

LHS is SMQ

RHS VW

Drawers

Middle is SMQ

Please scroll down for further pics lower down in the thread, thanks :0)

Comments (12)

• bigreader
    2 years ago

It’s impossible to pick colours from the screen. But I’d choose SMQ over vivid white.

• Kimberley Pottinger
    2 years ago

From this image, I would do Vivid white but I normally would not choose such a white as I do like the warmer tones...is the skylight in yet? Does the image represent the actual light it will be getting?

• G D
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi @Kimberley Pottinger, yes all the light that's available is now in. I'll attach a couple more pics for clarity.

• Kimberley Pottinger
    2 years ago

Haha I get that. Make the universe decide for you and pop both options in a hat, whichever you pull out go with that. (or if you hate the option you pull out then you know you want the other) I think you will love either because it's a NEW kitchen :)

• G D
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Here are a few more photos

1st 4 cabinets top and bottom SMQ

3rd top and bottom VW

4th not using was white on white

5th top SMQ

Top drawer SMQ

Bottom drawer VW

pls ignore mess currently putting in a window :0)

same units but looking into kitchen

• G D
    Original Author
    2 years ago

from Left:

top and bottom VW

2nd top and bottom SMQ

remaining in lexicon and too blue

• G D
    Original Author
    2 years ago

from Left:

top and bottom VW

2nd top and bottom SMQ

remaining in lexicon and too blue

• Kimberley Pottinger
    2 years ago

I like the VW when looking at these pics, but personally, I don't like yellow tone in my white if that makes sense...I also dont like blue like the Lexicon so thats a good call. What colour are your walls?

• G D
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Kimberley Pottinger another dilemma, if going SMQ then probably paint the walls in SMH if I go VW then not sure, might go all out on the VW to really brighten the place up. I think that the SMQ only throws the yellow next to the VW, when I open the cupobard doors and take out the VW it becomes a brighter colour. so far everyone I've asked it's 50/50 I think toss of a coin/name in the hat it will have to be!

• Kate
    2 years ago

Smq is warmer. Vivid white is a cold stark colour.

• Davincicalbourne
    2 years ago

Hi there, we went through a similar process choosing a new white for our living spaces including the kitchen. While we ultimately chose a different white SMQ was one that we trialled throughout the house from all aspects including west. It was a lovely clean white that in my opinion looks more sophisticated than the VW which looked like the ceiling white. The difference is super subtle and only people making these choices would even notice, and I am sure your kitchen will look lovely either way, SMQ just looks a little more sophisticated to me. Good luck with your Reno.

G D thanked Davincicalbourne