flossumpossum

Garden edging is a safety hazard

flossumpossum
2 years ago

We are currently rnovsting our garden and our landscsper has pit in garden edging which looks ridiculously high

im quite concerned as we have 5 children and it seems like a massive trip hazard for when the kids are playing on the grass i think we either have to make the edging shorter, remove the area from where the deck comes from or remove it all together

i know it is ment to seperate the plants from the grass but we arent having mulch so it doesnt ake snese to me and it looks bloody ugly!

Not to mention in also hating the grass

Comments (29)

• dreamer
    2 years ago

I deciphered your post......

Yes the edging does look too high....for now. But how high and wide are the plants going to be that have been planted? Will they grow over the edging, But if you do not like it and think it is dangerous, then remove it.

• Julie Herbert
    2 years ago

Add more soil to bring it level plus your plants will grow as dreamer said, if hating the grass you could always use hard landscaping materials, cut down on the lawn and create a native garden using grasses and structural foliage, paths for your kids to ride their bikes, lovely raised planters, lawn is the most expensive plant to maintain in your garden.

• Julie Herbert
    2 years ago

You could always use a rubber mallet to tap it lower to the ground.

• macyjean
    2 years ago

"i know it is ment to seperate the plants from the grass but we arent having mulch so it doesnt ake snese to me and it looks bloody ugly!"

I wondered if it is meant to seperate the grass from the plants? Some grasses have runners and will easily imvade a garden bed if not contained somehow. I thought edging is a more low maintenance way of doing that, as opposed to a spaded edge which you have to keep redoing. Anyway, I'm not sure how you'd do a spaded edge with the difference in levels? Why aren't you having mulch?

• Kate
    2 years ago

Agree with macyjean. Why no mulch - buy one that will break down so it gives a chance for your ground cover to grow before weeds invade

• flossumpossum
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thabk you evedyone it turns out our oandscsper has used the incorrect edging not the one that was specified on our plans. it also was all rusty this morning and looked horrific. he has since pulled it out and replaced it with the one on out plans and it is now sitting about 2cm above the grass and lookibg much better

we are not doibg mulch instead we are using elfin thyme as the ground cover between the plants and pavers

• macyjean
    2 years ago

I'm confused. You did not know what was on the plans? The correct edging is still high but is alright?

Anyway, thyme is a great groundcover and fairly fast though you'll need to weed for a while before it has filled in.

• flossumpossum
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@macyjean well i had looked at the plans but obviously im no steel expert so i just left it upto the landscsper and the designer to work out

• flossumpossum
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Julie Herbert

Its still high but not 5 inches high like it was the orevious edging wad also covered in rust this morning and looked terrible

• Julie Herbert
    2 years ago

That looks so much better, is it an edging that rusts over time, similar to corten steel, the thyme will be lovely as you brush against it, I would go a very fine mulch to keep your plants cool in summer and retain moisture

• macyjean
    2 years ago

These days rusty steel is the trend in landscaping so at first I thought isn't it meant to do that? What were you leaving up to the landscapers to work out? I'm concerned 2cm is still a tripping hazard, but with less visual reminder that it's there. Perhaps a different style of edging would provide the separation but be more foot friendly. Also mower friendly now I think of it. What exactly did you tell the landscaper you wanted?

I just noticed your added comment about hating the grass? What is it you hate about it?

• flossumpossum
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Julie Herbert yes it waz the rusty one however we didnt like to look at all so have gone with the plain silver galvanised edging which will stay silver and sit pretty much flush with the grass

• flossumpossum
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@macyjean i was really wanting tiftuff but turns out it was a miscommunication with my husband

i know the edging is all the rage at the moment but i felt it distracted from the lovely plants we have and im just not a fan at all of the overall look. we had previousoy gone through everything with our designer and were happy with everything so when i tang him this morning to tell him i wasnt happy with the edging i sent him some photos and he tang to tel me the landscaper had put in the incorrect edging.

after the landscaper insisting he had done what was on the plan we all went back to check and tirns oit he had use calvanated edging instead of galvanised edging so he ripped it our and replaced it

i agree it is still a bit of a trip hazard im just hoping the elfin thyme will raise everythibg s little

• flossumpossum
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@macy

• flossumpossum
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The top is before with the rusty edging and this photo is the after sith the new edging

• flossumpossum
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@macyjean

Another after photo still a little high but much better than before

• macyjean
    2 years ago

The title implies the concern was safety not style. If I understand correctly you want the edging to be barely visible once the plants grow up? So maybe it's more important to get the edging installed properly for safety than to worry about the style of it when it will eventually be covered by the plants?

I'm sorry, I don't understand "calvanated".

Is that a pool beside it? Where's the fence going?

• Kate
    2 years ago

The stainless matches the pool paving better. Glad you are happier

flossumpossum thanked Kate
  • flossumpossum
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@macyjean that is a pool next to it with the fence to be going around it like regukar pool fences….

• dreamer
    2 years ago

What are regukar pool fences?

• flossumpossum
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@dreamer see attached.

• Julie Herbert
    2 years ago

Beautiful ❤️

flossumpossum thanked Julie Herbert
  • dreamer
    2 years ago

Thanks flossumpossum, I assume this is an example of a regular glass pool fence, but not yours, as the garden which you had put in is missing.

• flossumpossum
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@dreamer correct, if i was trying to pass this off as my own i would have atleast made some edits. What is your overall point exactly regarding the fence?

• Anne Monsour
    2 years ago

Your pool tiles are really beautiful with a lovely interesting pattern .

flossumpossum thanked Anne Monsour
  • dreamer
    2 years ago

Flossumpossum, I have no point re the fence. My question was what is a regukar fence? Because I had never heard of that type of fence before. Now I realise after your photo, you meant to have written a regular fence. Was also wondering what calvanated edging is?

• flossumpossum
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@dreamer since you clearly have a lot more time up your sleeve and I do maybe you could spend it getting in touch with apple and assist them in developing a 100% reliable automatic spell correction solution for their iPhone. I assume that after helping them with this tedious task that in return they might provide you with some pointers on how to, in fact, get a life 🤷🏼‍♀️

• dreamer
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Thank you, and I hope your day is a good one.