sophie621

exterior colours

sophie621
last year

Hi, I’ll try keep this short. 80’s red brick home with classic cream windows and verandah, first pic faces main road but is not used as main entry, that is around the side (pic 2) where colorbond garage in evening haze and monument is. I know the balustrade looks like a nursing home but it will be staying (just painted) so I was wondering if ironstone would look ok? Ironstone on roof and gutters and evening haze on fascia and posts with monument on the underneath of verandah just to tie it in to garage. classic cream will be continuing inside with new kitchen to embrace what I cannot change. I know rule of thumb is 3 colours but I just can’t see how I can do it as I feel monument will be just too dark. Have considered evening haze or red roof but I don’t think it will give the updated look I’m after without being modern. Pls help.

Comments (24)

• Julie Herbert
    last year

I think ironstone on all your trims and balcony railing as well could look beautiful, darker trims with red brick always looks great

• sophie621
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you. Will it clash with the minimal on the garage do you think?

• sophie621
    Original Author
    last year

Sorry that did not make sense.
    Will the ironstone clash with the monument on the garage (which is just the trims)

• dreamer
    last year

Agree, ironstone on all the trims, verandah posts and the balcony railing. (Anything that is green or cream) I don’t think the monument garage would clash with the ironstone. If you want it to match, then do the trims and balcony railing in monument. Ironstone has a blue tinge so this needs to be taken into consideration. Is the garage near the home or separate?

• dreamer
    last year

Picture of garage and it’s two colours would help give feedback.

• dreamer
    last year

Example of the dark paint with red brick and cream windows. No evening haze in sight. Evening haze added in, will give a completely different look. Personally I would only paint everything in ironstone or monument, but we have not seen your garage.

• sophie621
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you so much, so everything ironstone, I like this. I will post a pic of grace tomorrow, sorry I should have done that. The garage is attached to house but honestly from a distance, could pass as cream or a shade of

• dreamer
    last year

Who’s grace 😀. A photo of the garage will be fine. 😂

• bigreader
    last year

You’ve posted this before with better pics. Agree with above all Ironstone but repaint the garage if it bothers you after you’ve done the house.

• sophie621
    Original Author
    last year

Correct, I once posted these pics but it was about modernizing the verandah I think. Good memory though.

• sophie621
    Original Author
    last year

This is the side with the colorbond garage in evening haze and monument (which can work in with ironstone i think). Not sure about the evening haze though?

• dreamer
    last year

Paint all the trims as said previously in ironstone or monument. Paint over the cream on the railing. The garage is a completely different finish and shape. So ignore that and concentrate on getting rid of ALL the green and cream on the home. Paint everything the same, no cream. If after this is completed, and you think the evening haze, on the garage, needs to go as well, then paint it.

• dreamer
    last year

Put a screen, painted ironstone or monument, around the air conditioner external unit.

• dreamer
    last year

The evening haze on the garage, works with the cream windows.

• sophie621
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks so much dreamer, you have confirmed what I was thinking. The only thing I may keep is the cream on the underside of the verandah, driving past you cannot see it as my house is quiet dark due to the verandah and ironstone here might make it even darker.
    Would you do ironstone on the gutters and fascia as well? I’m guessing yes

• dreamer
    last year

If you mean by the underside of verandah, the ceiling, then definitely keep that light. (I always assume the ceiling of outdoor areas and indoor areas ,for that matter to be light) And yes to ironstone on the gutters and fascia.

• sophie621
    Original Author
    last year

Perfrcto 👍

• sophie621
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you so very much for your assistance.
    Maybe I should ask you about my very weirdly shaped kitchen 😊

• dreamer
    last year

Love a challenge 🧐

• sophie621
    Original Author
    last year

Dreamer, kitchen 😊

• dreamer
    last year

What is actually wrong with your kitchen? What do the two brick towers hold? Are they structural?

• sophie621
    Original Author
    last year

One to the left is structural and the other has the fridge.
    The high bench is outdated and closes off the room, my benches are 80’s pink, we want to close off entry to the right as it is next to master bedroom entry.. change island bench to all drawers and move fridge to where pantry is. Where the right hand entry is, close that off for walk in pantry and create entry where brick was currently is (right one). So not much to change, hope this makes sense. Need to update but want to keep it warm and texturally inviting so not cliche/cookie cutter if you know what I mean

• dreamer
    last year

Sounds like you already have a plan. I would take this chance to make the whole kitchen work better. For example, the cooktop is a long way from the sink? Do you have full measurements of the kitchen space.

• Kate
    last year

Yes need a floor plan