beavewil

Modernise 1970s facade ? Please help

beavewil
last year
last modified: last year

UPDATED PHOTOS ADDED Any ideas to modernise this facade. Thinking of embracing 1970's colours by introducing wood and maybe orange/red pot plants. Also painting railing black and lots of greenery ?

Front slider will be divided into front door and study so will be front door and window rather than just the slider. Trying to avoid painting all white- would also love to remove the "nets" on bedroom window .

Concrete surface quite uneven- do you think decking to even out ?

Wooden bookcase has gone and garden bed is underneath the wood plank under bookcase.

Roof is dark grey but cant be seen.

Comments (44)

• Kate
    last year

The railing doesn’t meet current safety standards so I would look to Replace it with timber and wire rope fencing. Monument would be good dark base

• davincicalbourne
    last year

Enclose the pole with wood to make it more robust. Make this the side of a built in planter that runs to the wall in the left in the picture. This will help to make a direct path to what will be your front door, avoid having the support pole stand out (not in a good way), and provide an entry space that you could furnish to make a little oasis.

• dreamer
    last year

The security grill on front windows is an easy job. Either take the screens off completely or install security mesh in their place. Love the idea that @davincicalbourne suggested about enclosing the support pole in wood, and add a planter. That would look good and give some interest. The railing is definitely not to code. Take it down and replace with something that is safe. Dark paint for trims always looks good against the blond brick.

• dreamer
    last year

Adding a timber deck over concrete would look good. But a black floor would look better against timber post, rails and planter. Wood and black always look fantastic.

• beavewil
    Original Author
    last year

Love all the input- thank you so much. Definitely need to sort safety issue and add timber, planter etc.
    I didn’t think of replacing grill with security net- great idea.
    Should I keep keep gutter and sofit white?
    Would granite rocks be a good add to the rockery in front?

• beavewil
    Original Author
    last year

Would a black or wood front door be good?

• dreamer
    last year

Gutter and soffit keep dark as with all trims. I personally would have greenery not granite rocks. I would look at a dark front door that keeps the look of the era of the home.

• beavewil
    Original Author
    last year

Love the black door and trimmings. Looking like blonde bricks black trimmings and dark wood and greenery way to go .
    Thank you

• Julie Herbert
    last year

Some fabulous suggestions, painting trims and front door black would look fabulous, goes beautifully with your colour brick, love the idea of enclosing the support pole in timber plus planter box, you could always do a timber feature wall to compliment, black railing, a deck or black porch would look beautiful, look for some colourful bullet planters to complete the look.. gorgeous

• beavewil
    Original Author
    last year

Oh my word- stunning!! Thanks so much for these suggestions - love them

• siriuskey
    last year

And following a Mid Century Vibe in this photo the dark stone would be your brick

• siriuskey
    last year

I would consider paving the uneven concrete with large concrete look pavers

• Cee
    last year

My neighbour is into 70s retro, with fun & fab touches - wish I could show you a pic. Has small but great outdoor spaces with added greenery, fragrant creepers & bright pots. A little wall art too - but maybe this is a tad too retro..? Would probably be-jewel that support pole with fairy lights for extra fun.

• beavewil
    Original Author
    last year

Awesome Cee thanks for the ideas !

• Trish Smithers
    last year

Hi there, I’m just doing the same, embrace the period, mine was just a standard triple front in texture brick. Retained original brick as love the earthy colour and texture but used Bowral Brown for extension to rear, reused hardwood beams from old roof frame sanded back to make new glass awning over entrance, New skillion roof and Windows in Colorbond Wallaby, keeping slate at front as colours are great and wears very well, already had lumascspe lighting at front of house in weathered copper, shapes are current again so will just get more of those. Letter box hand made draws your eye to the dark wood awning behind

• Trish Smithers
    last year

Cladding will be painted in Colorbond Dune to match garage door

• beavewil
    Original Author
    last year

Wow Trish- love what you have done! Very earthy and awesome.
    Found all the roof rafters in our house are in thick jarrah so love that you have reused them. That awning is great too. Letter box is fabulous .
    I was thinking a dark brown would be softer than black and the existing wall is in Bowral brown bricks. The wallaby colour goes so well.
    Thank you everyone for all the ideas, it helps a lot to see how people are embracing the era and moving away from spray painting everything white!

• Trish Smithers
    last year

Totally agree

• Trish Smithers
    last year

We have tried to reuse as much as we can with building costs escalating at the moment, ever $ counts. We cleaned 1000,s of bricks as well, save on disposal and purchasing new ones, the roof beams we are also making screens, powder room and laundry benches out of as well.
    Good luck, I’m sure you will make some great choices that suit your style

• User
    last year

I gather the existing sliding door is going ? I would hope the new joinery is in white or maybe charcoal ? Is the existing sliding door facing the street , or is the street 'down' at the base of the steps ?

You said about embracing the era , and that would be done by douing the panel below the bedroom window in an orange or apricot , as well as the new front door , and adding your idea of orange pots and the like .

But I'd probably take the opportunity to luxe it up a bit , and get an interesting front door ( a glass panel or 3 or 4 small square windows or similar 'embedded' right of centre down the door . Solid timber , don't worry too much about the cost , its the look and quality I'd go for , rather than trying to save $200 by getting near enough ! Depending on taste and the new joinery , probably in cedar or a Japanese Black .

Then I'd double down , and do timber the same tones and stains ( either vertical with exaggerated chamferred corners , or horizontal overlaid so it looks like weatherboard ) . That will add a more modern look , take it a bit more upmarket , but also tie the alterations in together , more considered IMO .

• beavewil
    Original Author
    last year

I took everyones advice and am very pleased with the result !

• beavewil
    Original Author
    last year

• beavewil
    Original Author
    last year

New wooden and limestone staircase added from road to improve access as previous access was up steep driveway and difficult to move large furniture.

• dreamer
    last year

Perfect, congratulations. You Have kept the era of the home but enhanced for today. Looks wonderful.

beavewil thanked dreamer
  • beavewil
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for your kind comment

• Kate
    last year

That looks fantastic and safer, both with the swap out of slider and the wire rope fencing to the stairs. Doesn’t the dark trim work so well with the bricks.

beavewil thanked Kate
  • beavewil
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you Kate- and thank you for the idea of making the staircase safer. Here is the new access staircase

• beavewil
    Original Author
    last year

We also added a new work from home studio. A bit of work to do around the base of the studio planting etc.

• beavewil
    Original Author
    last year

Converted a bedroom into an ensuite

• beavewil
    Original Author
    last year

Updated the kitchen with new benchtops and handles and moved a section which was jutting out across the access. The jutting out section was moved to the other side. The phase two reno will be to knock out the kitchen with big doors and add a large patio

• beavewil
    Original Author
    last year

Added an extra room under exiting roofline.

• Julie Herbert
    last year

Wow! Absolutely stunning ❤️ looks beautiful ❤️

beavewil thanked Julie Herbert
  • beavewil
    Original Author
    last year

Renovation of Laundry , added skylight and extractor

• beavewil
    Original Author
    last year

renovated bathroom 2

• Julie Herbert
    last year

Your renovations are truly beautiful, what a fabulous job you have done, again truly beautiful ❤️

beavewil thanked Julie Herbert
  • beavewil
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you Julie. We had a very tight budget. Would have loved to open up the back onto the garden with a large patio, however that will have to be the next renovation.

• Julie Herbert
    last year

I think you have done everything beautifully, it’s made such a beautiful difference to your front and indoor space, enjoy every moment in your beautiful home ❤️

• Kate
    last year

Well done

• Davincicalbourne
    last year

Looks amazing - beautifully done.

• beavewil
    Original Author
    last year

Hi Dreamer- the property has been rented. We plan to move into the house at a later date. Thankyou for your kind comment.

• siriuskey
    last year

Richard stop posting thanks on posts

• Sonya Seutter
    last year

This is all very beautiful. You have done a great job. Love the studio that you have added. Was that a kit or did you hire someone?

• PRO
    Richard
    last year

Thanks