jamie2881

Extension Alternative

jamie saralli
last year

Hi Guys, I’m looking into modular ‘off the shelf’ type extensions rather than brick built as a cheaper alternative for adding some additional space to my home. Has anyone got any experience of installing them? Anything in particular that I should be weary of? To be more specific, they aren’t conservatories they don’t have glass roofs and have panelled walls.

Comments (6)

• Ace 23
    last year

Interested to know about this too.

• Ricky Watkins
    last year

You're after a SIPs house extension (Structurally insulated panels). Quickly built but not much price difference against traditional brick I think.

• Ace 23
    last year

I don't know how good the product is or how wise it is to use something like this but I saw this: https://dunsterhouse.co.uk/garden-rooms-and-porches/addroom-garden-room-brick-effect-5m-x-3m-right#

• Jo Phillips
    last year

Ps some useful articles on SIPs and other new designs and build methods in current Homebuilding and Renovating magazine.

• PRO
    9yards architecture
    last year

Off-the-shelf and system build can be economical for mass production - so if you're building 30 semis or a hotel with 50 identical rooms then there are quite often savings to be made.

So many times we get clients suggesting they're going to buck the trend by building in some new way. But if there's a new building method that's cheaper than the traditional way using traditional materials your local builders would already be using it.

In 30+ years in the construction industry I've only ever known one small domestic extension to be manufactured off site and craned into position. It was done by a Housing Association as a trial, it's half a mile from my house and it seems to have performed well for 15 years. But they never did another one.

And if you're going to spend the money on an extension for your house, why limit yourself to off-the-shelf rather than get it designed to meet your specific needs and the specific features of your site?

'Off-site' and 'modular' have been big buzzwords in the industry for the lsst 20 years - but they're still far off being economical methods for small-scale projects by small builders. 

A good designer will be able to design you a  bespoke extension economically - they'll know where the high-cost elements are and should be able to suggest more cost-efficient options.

And if it's construction speed you're after, be realistic about how much time you'll really be saving - especially compared to the length of time you're likely to be loving in the house.

The above comments about insurance are also very relevant - insurers and mortgage lenders may like something today and then run a mile from it tomorrow - just see what's currently happening with sprayfoam insulation.