webuser_38087560

What external paint colour for brick ranch style (modern farmhouse) ?

Hi Houzzers, I am trying to achieve a classic (yet contemporary) external paint colour for my home, as well as selecting a colour for the adjoining pool house that somehow links the two buildings (people currently think the pool house is my next door neighbours house). For the brick home, I want it to look classic, keeping the surfmist colorbond roof colour and a colour that will appeal to a wide audience if I had to sell the home for any reason in 5 years or so. I am prepared to be more adventurous with the colour of the weatherboard building, as long as it somehow links to the main house (via a trim colour or some other type of connection between them). I will evenutally change the plants in front of the main house and am in the middle of trimming back the mauve and white vines that were on the pergola thing. I would like to eventurally use the weatherboard building for tutoring and social activities for kids with autism..but that is a couple of years away. Lots to do yet.

Oh, I am removing the fancy trim at the top of the posts on the verandah...I like a more simple look.

I would love to hear any advice from the creative folk out there. I think choosing a colour for the weatherboard building would be easy, but it is very difficult choosing the right colur for the brick home and even more difficult linking them in some way....

Help!!

Comments (13)

• Kate
    last year

Paint the bricks on pool house same colour as weatherboards and remove or prune the bushes that provide the screen between the two. If it works on the pool house verandah echo the vertical trim that’s on the house.
    The drive seems to be related to the pool house, can you add a path from it to your front door?

• Mylongtermhome
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Kate. The building on the right (the brick one) is the main house and the weatherboard one on the left (soon to be grannyflat with murphy bed/activities area) is currently the pool house. .I just don't know what colour I should paint the brick and in a colour that will also be suitable to match to the pool house.

• Mylongtermhome
    Original Author
    last year

I think the colour on the weatherboard pool house is currently paperbark...not sure....I was thinking of painting the bricks Dulux Powered Rock and then the pool house Dulux Paving stone, but thought that Powered rock may be too dark and bland for the bricks and also thought that there may be fresher classic colours to use....I am not sure....I want the main house to have a modern farmhouse vibe.

• Kate
    last year

My personal taste leads to a light cheery colour like a chalky lemon with white trim. You need to pick what you like. The pool house looks the more substantial and affluent with the trim adding sense of value which is why I thought it the main house

• siriuskey
    last year

This beautiful property might give you some inspiration

https://www.dijones.com.au/property/house-nsw-bowral-1p67400

• Mylongtermhome
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Kate for your opinion. It is good to know how others view this property. The problem with me is that I like too many looks and colours.... I also like cheery colours, but I am afraid if I dont get the colour right for the brick house, then it will just look like a modern home that are in many new estates in Brisbane...and will not have a classic look which is what I would like to achieve.

• Mylongtermhome
    Original Author
    last year

Siriuskey....yes, a gorgeous home on the link....the place down the road painted their house white to sell it and it looked great but i wondered whether it would get dirty too quickly...not sure

• kbodman14
    last year

https://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/planning-and-building/urban-design-in-brisbane/design-strategy-and-guidelines/traditional-character-housing-design-guide. The BCC has some great advice on the classic Queenslanders. There are great examples of possible colours combination in some of the heritage suburbs -Ashgrove, Graceville,Ascot, Hawthorne etc. I have a house in Surfmist walls and roof with black trims. The Surfmist has remained very clean.

• Mylongtermhome
    Original Author
    last year

I actually have thought about just putting weatherboards on the front of the brick house, but it may be too expensive. I saw a couple of places yesterday on which that had been done and they looked great.

• User
    last year

Paint is relatively cheap , it would tie the 2 'halves' together if done at least half way right -- that is part of my thinking on keeping the filligrees too -- they add interest and even a hint of class and a bygone era , but they are consistent across the buildings .

But to do weatherboards over the brick , you either need to do 'fake' door and window surrounds , and then your doors and windows set back in ; or remove the doors and windows , do the weatherboarding and surrounds , and reinstall the joinery 'further out' . I guess you could try glueing the boards on , but they'll still be 50-60mm 'deeper' , but if you do say 50x50mm battens then weatherboard , you are adding at least 100mm to the window and door depths .

A lot of $$$$ to not achive a heap IMO .

Mylongtermhome thanked User
  • siriuskey
    last year

Another contemporary Farm house using a similar approach to all white with the render painted in white and the boards in off black.

• Lorraine
    last year

I just did my little original mission brown ranch house into these colours, now I do have a dark roof but I like the Dulux Water Worn with the vivid white trim.