webuser_928518579

Painting masonite

John Jones
last year

So we purchased a house and most of the rooms walls are Masonite and the previous owner has painted the walls in a gloss. In one bedroom, I used Taubmans 4 in 1 undercoat over the wall after I have given it a slight sand. I have done 2 undercoats and now I have done 2 finish coats with Taubmans Endure. However what I have found is paint is easily scratched off the wall and it goes all the way to the original paint of the Masonite.

With this in mind, I am now concerend about the other walls and I really don't want to paint them as a gloss. I was wondering if there was something I could add into the Taubmans Endure to strengthen the top coat? or do I have to paint the walls a semi gloss?

Comments (2)

• bigreader
    last year

Are your sure the Masonite is painted? It comes with a sort of gloss coating. Anyway give the Taubmans service number a call and they’ll talk you through the best approach. Was the gloss paint an oil or water based paint? If it’s oil you will need to do extra work with a specific primer before using a water based paint over the top. You can test the type paint with acetone or rubbing alcohol on a cotton bud. If it comes off it’s water based. If it doesn’t it’s oil.

• John Jones
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you - Yes i did just as you said re checking if it was oil and it was a bit hard to understand. When I did it, it appeared some paint came off but it could have actually been just like the top bit or grime? It certainly did not take the pain off down to say the previous coat (if that makes any sense).