webuser_716728031

Small lounge with too many windows?

HU-716728031
last year

Hi - we have just moved into a small ‘Renovators Delight’ house (in Australia). The lounge room has a step down into it and neighbours the kitchen. Dimensions are: 3450cm long (entrance to sliding window), 3780 cm wide, returns from kitchen entrance 1100 cm each side.

A Sliding door opens to a south facing balcony (so not much sun, but good light and outlook), this raps around to the main balcony. This could be turned into a window and the balcony removed, however I think it helps to extend the room.

The ‘window’ to the left was cut out last night (hence the uprights, no frame etc! And yes, needs to be lower), this faces east - so gets the morning sun, it faces onto the main balcony and I’m not sure how I feel about that yet. The outdoor seating will be mainly under the window (the nicest spot on balcony) I had thought about making this window a sliding door, sounds good, however it upsets the furniture placement too much both outside and in (I don’t want an L shape lounge, which then faces the kitchen and makes the room look smaller).

The window to the right (that’s just a mock up lounge on the floor and a picnic blanket as a mock wall!). This western window was going to be swapped out for the new eastern (and more private) window, so that there would be at least one wall! But now it’s hard to get rid of all that light! This window has a house looking directly down into it, but curtains will help there I s’pose. My partner suggested a thin window up top of wall, but that means 3 different window sizes. Hmmm maybe?

So my question is -

is there too much window and not enough wall for a lounge room?

Should daytime light win over night time ambience?

Should I get rid of a window- if so which one?

And what about a TV? I could put a little one on the return with a swivel arm praps.

What would you do?!

Comments (5)