webuser_97839796

2story for under $350k?

Lucas Kell
11 months ago

I know its unlikely, but I’m curious.

Our plan (custom rather than volume) is a really simple compact rectangle, 2 storey, 3bed 2bath of 130sqm total. There’s only two of us, no kids, and planning this to be our final home so very unlikely to sell.

Some factors -

Not wanting built-in/any wardrobes in any room

No bathtubs

No garage

Weatherboard-type cladding, Colourbond skillion roof

Combined bathroom/laundry on ground floor

Walk in tiled showers (just with one glass partition thing, not a full frame)

Induction stove/electric (no gas)

Standard fixtures and fittings and sizes, nothing high-end

Composite main area floors, carpet bedrooms, tiled bathrooms, laminate benchtops

Ceiling fans in all rooms

Just 1 x split system heater/aircon in upstairs

The two things we’d splurge on in an ideal world would be double glazing the bigger front windows and installing hydronic heating radiators. We need two storey for the location, but otherwise we’re more about a functional house that suits our lifestyle rather than one filled with elements that we just don’t need or use. We’re very south in Australia, but with a block that luckily gets lots of sun.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Comments (4)

• Kate
    11 months ago

I would expect all windows to be double glazed to get energy rating. The big costs can be earthworks and service connections. Then access to trades. You really need to approach some builders that work in your area for quotes. Everything else is a guess

• bigreader
    11 months ago

You seem to have put some good thought into minimising costs where you can. Trade labour is very expensive and not likely to drop much in the future. You will also have the hurdle that a custom plan with specific selections as you’ve chosen is always likely to be more expensive than a volume plan over the lifecycle of the build. Eg even at the start your plans and engineering will cost more for a one off build compared to a copy/paste from a volume builder. I would talk to a local builder, pay them for their time and ask them their thoughts on local conditions and a ballpark of costs.

• dreamer
    11 months ago

In Perth, yes you can. There are a number of builders who do “under $350k” builds. As others have said, contact builders in your area and get the correct info for your area.

• dreamer
    11 months ago

This design in Perth by a well respected volume builder is 133.19sqm and is under $300k. Noting it includes a single garage, which you do not want, therefore you would delete and have even more living area available. If this is your final home then I would suggest you have the main bedroom downstairs for future proofing for old age stair issues.