aussie43

Replacing old external ducted gas heater

aussie43
8 months ago

Hi,

Can somebody help please with the current rules for placing external gas heaters?

The distance from the heater flue from windows.

Can't find anything on the interned.

I live in Victoria, btw.

Comments (14)

• macyjean
    8 months ago

It sounds like an opportunity to upgrade to reverse cycle? Check if there are rebates to do so.

• bigreader
    8 months ago

If you can narrow down the model of heater, the manufacturers specifications for installation will be on their website. Flueless gas heaters are pretty much banned in a Victoria. So you’ll need a flue and your window question becomes irrelevant. More information at Energy Safe Victoria. But reverse cycle is cheaper to run.

• aussie43
    Original Author
    8 months ago

It is an external heater as I said in the title and the post.

I have the Installation manual. It does not have any guidance to location - it only refers to a dozens of standards and regulations.

It relies on plumbers to know what is correct and what is not, but that does not help people who want to choose the heater themselves.

Brivis manuals are pretty louzy. Don't even have proper wiring diagrams.

I think they want people to buy from their preferred installers who are trained.

• aussie43
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Sorry bigreader - the system does not allow me to respond to your comment.

Rebates are done - finished in June.

Reverse cycle is cheaper to run, but more expensive to install, and has its own negative features that I am not prepared to put up with.

• Kate
    8 months ago

What flue? If it’s external why does it need a flue?

• aussie43
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Kate, google Brivis or Braemar ducted heaters. You will see the flues.

If the burned gas was left in the heater box, it would mix with the air that is circulated through the heater and the house.

The flue must be a certain distance from windows and door, because they are leaky.

• macyjean
    8 months ago

Do you mean one of these types?

I don't understand. I mean I don't even understand the concept at this time. Whatever it is, my point stands, there are alternatives to and reasons to get off gas.

Covered patio/outdoor living · More Info

• macyjean
    8 months ago

I googled and couldn't see anything obviously explanatory to this question.

Ducted means it is heating the inside, is that right?

The flue goes outside, it's not "leaky", it's a flue, it's venting as it should.

Is the issue that it needs to vent a minimum distance away from any windows?

• aussie43
    Original Author
    8 months ago

macyjean,

I don't want to be impolite, but if you don't understand what my question is, why do you try to answer it by suggesting that I use something else.

How long have you been in Australia? Where do you live?

Down here in Melbourne, people have been using external gas fired heaters for decades.

They suck the air from the house via ducts, heat it, and blow it back through ducts and outlets.

The system could be installed in the roof space, or under the floor.

Google Brivis or Braemar and look for gas ducted heating.

• aussie43
    Original Author
    8 months ago

I have the answer to my question now from energy Victoria.

• Kate
    8 months ago

What was the answer?

• aussie43
    Original Author
    8 months ago

• macyjean
    8 months ago

I've been to Melbourne and it gets real hot in the summer holidays too and with the gas situation 'been doing it for decades' seems a little shortsighted but it's your choice of course. Your posts have a DIY gasfitting vibe but I hope that's just me misunderstanding again. Apologies, I'm out.

• aussie43
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Good.

You did not need to bother entering, because you did not have the answer to my question.

I did not ask for opinion on gas heating vs reverse cycle.

BTW, I do have add-on cooling, and intend to have it with the new gas heater.