pat_j96

Shower came out quite different from expectations. Suggestions?

Pat J
29 days ago

I am not sure how much to push the builder on a new-construction shower. It looks quite different from what was intended.

The closing of the house is in two weeks.

Design Studio. I went through the developer-builder’s design studio process, choosing materials for the entire house. The day prior to the design studio meeting, I visited a nearby house in the community, where the shower walls in the primary bathroom were appealing.

Tile Selection. At the design studio, I showed photos of those appealing shower walls to the design studio staff in order that the shower walls could be replicated in the new home. The design studio staff recognized the tile (Daltile Calacatta) and showed a sample. It was an easy decision to proceed with that tile.

Desired Shower Walls. Here is what the nearby home’s shower looks like, for which I and the design studio aimed to replicate the shower walls.

Builder’s First Attempt. The builder was to install the select tiles in a shower wall with 1/3 offsets in a brick-like pattern but did not. In addition, repeated tiles close together were prominent. Beyond that, the lean of the tile veins was inconsistent: some running from top left to bottom right, others running from bottom left to top right. Without argument, the builder agreed to re-do the shower walls. The builder acknowledged that there were three corrections to make in the re-do: (1) install 1/3 offsets, (2) make a consistent lean in the veins, (3) spread out duplicates.

Builder’s Second Attempt. The re-do looks like this.

To me, it does not look much like the shower that was to be created, in the style of the shower walls in the nearby home. In the new-build shower, there are repeated tiles, shown in the color-highlighted tiles in the right-hand photo, and some tiles that lean in the opposite direction.

How to resolve? We are trying to warm up this, but we are finding it hard to be happy. There is a departure from what was expected, which were shower walls that look like the existing shower walls at the nearby existing home. There, it looks like the lean of the veins is consistent and repeated tiles are hard to spot.

Is the new-build shower acceptable?

What would you do?

Suggestions?

Comments (34)