peterborissow

Windows that don't require headers?

peterborissow
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
I would like to install several large windows in my living room. I want floor-to-ceiling windows like you see on Houzz and countless other magazines. Ideally, I want each panel to be approx 4' x 8' (my ceilings are 8 feet). I'd like 5 panels total so that's 20 feet of glass.

To do this, I need to create a 20 foot opening. Normally, you would need to put in a header that would support the roof above. Of course, if I put in a header, then I need to decrease the height of the windows approx 10-12 inches. I really don't want to do that.

To make matters worse, the wall where I want to install the windows is cantilevered. So if I did install a header, I would need to transmit the entire load down to just 2 points on the cantilever. To support the load, I have to create some sort of bracing under the cantilevered floor which is (a) ugly and (b) requires additional engineering and effort.

So my question is this: Are there any windows on the market that don't require a header? Is there anyone out there that builds frames that are strong enough to support the load of a roof (e.g. 10,000 lbs/ft)?

Comments (20)