jennifer_hale3741

Looking for help on bedrooms layout

Jennifer Hale
10 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We are struggling with the layout of our top floor, wondering if anyone has any suggestions...the downsides with the current plan is the closets are very small in the 2 bedrooms and the odd step to access bedroom 4. We need to keep the shape the same but everything else can move except the stairs! The view is really good out the front and gets the most sun which is why we originally have all the bedrooms all along that one wall (top side on drawing).

Comments (29)

• PRO
    Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
    10 years ago
    It might be worth considering relocating that second bathroom. By moving it forward to the front of the house, it could be connected to both Bedrooms and you could pick up some added closet space.......?
  • Jennifer Hale
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    If it helps at all, the dimensions of this floor are 13m x 7.5m (at widest) or 42.5x24.5 ft
  • Related Discussions

Help! Not sure about house room layout, especially location of kitchen

Q

Comments (17)
    Thank you everyone for your comments. We live outside Christchurch, and the house was badly damaged in the quakes here. The post-quake rebuild process could safely be described as slightly chaotic, and the house company I am using are located some distance away (like on the North Island), which is why discussion with the architect has been - em - less than optimal. The architect threw something at me to get me out of my comfort zone I think and this is what's freaking me out! I think the windows on the east side are to come (no reason for them not being there), and probably a skylight in the kitchen roof. The section of land is narrow and steep, (this is a historic port town and with access from the south (where the view is); there is no parking other than on the street (south). Patricia - the laundry doesn't sit right with me either! Looks a bit like it's been glued on the side of the hosue. And it is too small as it is to store coats, shoes etc. This is the access to the back garden - thus the door (also means muddy boots can be dumped when we come in!). Entering a house through a living room is very common over here, especially where space is at a premium (small section, small house footprint).
    ...See More

we need help refreshing our kitchen without changing the layout?

Q

Comments (3)
    Depending on you budget, I'd replace the counter tops and flooring. I agree with removing the dark valances. Replace the top corner cabinets with 42" cabinets or remove entirely. The ones there are too small for the space. An island, not that you need the counter space would cozy up the area. Also replace the front on the dishwasher with stainless steel to match other appliances. Your layout is good, no changes there! If you decide on an island, you could include stools there and remove the current peninsula, this would open the area to what ever room is adjoining the space. Good luck and have fun. It is a really nice space.
    ...See More

Needing help with rental layout

Q

Comments (2)
    That is a really small space,I think maybe an apartment size sofa would help you get the look you need and a smaller table or even removing the table and using two bar stools
    ...See More

Please help with small bathroom layout...

Q

Comments (2)
    Will need to see layout to give opinion. Doesn't look like a free standing tub is a good option for you but if you show us the layout we can give you an accurate advice.
    ...See More
  • januarisun
    10 years ago
    There should be some sound separation btwn. the master and 3rd bedroom. Perhaps that will help with the closet issue.
  • neighweigh
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Could you move vanity unit towards bath, put new wall beside shower & move bathroom door in? Then move bed 4 door 90 degrees clockwise. This would extend robes in beds 3 & 4. You could also extend linen.
  • Jennifer Hale
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What do you guys think, is this any better??
  • kathy
    10 years ago
    I like this layout better, master suite more private. But a few considerations:

In the hall bath, I would rather a second sink or longer counter space but then have only a combined tub/shower. Make sure there is lots of space in front of tub - I'm thinking of bathing kids - we often bathed our 2 boys together - you need floor space to dry off a couple of kids at once! Or one drying off, and one brushing teeth... your bathroom looks roomy so it should't be an issue.

I just noticed on both your plans, that the toilets were directly across from vanities or tub. It is usually recomended to have at least 3'(100cm) between fixtures for working or passing space. Is there that much space alotted?

And then your master closet. It looks like the closets in bed 3 and 4 are more than 1/2 the master closet width. Is that enough for you in master? I'm assuming that the closets in bed 3 and 4 are about 5-6' wide, which is tons for kids (in my opinion) - but you might like more for yourself. How does this layout compare with original in terms of linear feet for closet.

I'm sure other people will have other ideas for you - we all have our pet peeves about which we think everyone should feel the same way:)
    Jennifer Hale thanked kathy
  • januarisun
    10 years ago
    I also like that the master is more separated from the other two bedrooms, plus, the top of the stair case is on the other side of the landing, from the master, instead of next to it. Although, I feel this layout is better, it still feels unpolished.

Bedrooms 3 & 4, have no sound separation. Putting the closets on that wall, would remedy that. The master bedroom has very little wall space, for a dresser, a chair, or a TV. Even if you don't watch TV in the bedroom, it's good to make sure there is a space for one, for resale. The bathroom door and closet area, are pretty far apart. They should have a better relationship to each other. Whoever is sleeping on the left side, is too close to the bathroom door. The view, or smell, might become an issue.
    Jennifer Hale thanked januarisun
  • Jennifer Hale
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    This is so hard! We were happy with the layout but with recession planes it made one wall come in slightly and has thrown everything off...which is why I am trying to rework just the top floor without having to redesign whole house! But trying to work with fixed exterior walls and some window placements is so difficult.
    I really liked the master bedroom suite before and it feels like we have lost that wow factor.
    I dont really want to put the closets against the adjoining bedroom wall because the rooms will become so long and skinny, they are only ~3m wide now without the closet coming into that space although I do understand about soundproofing.
    And I do want the master suite to have a better layout, just struggling to figure out how to make that happen.
    Love getting suggestions though, so please keep sending them!!
  • Brenda
    10 years ago
    Jennifer, is one of these rooms a "guest bedroom", or do you need both for family members/fulltime residents?
  • Jennifer Hale
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The plan is those bedrooms will be for family, we have a 'guest' bedroom and bathroom on the main floor.
  • Brenda
    10 years ago
    you're not interested in a first floor master?

that way you could have 3 fairly equal sized bedrooms upstairs.

Or, you could have 2 bedrooms, and an open "loft" space in the center with a some type of hide-away bed for guests (Murphy Bed, pull out couch). The space could double as a tv room or play room when there are no guests. Murphy beds have come a LONG way since their ancestors of a couple of decades ago.

[houzz=
    Ranch Remodel · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Guest Bedroom · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Herald Lane, Flex Media Room · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Lake Country Builders · More Info
    ]
  • Jennifer Hale
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    No, I prefer having the guest one downstairs and the master/kids bedrooms upstairs. Maybe when kids are older but we havent had ours yet so prefer to be closer when they are little :)
  • Brenda
    10 years ago
    are you SURE you want to be on the same level as the (yet to be born) kids? ... by the time they are 3 they will text you in the middle of the night if they need something ... ;)

So, maybe you "plan" for the master to be downstairs longer term, and you "accept" that you will be living out of the smaller less fancy upper level guest room while your children are really young ...

Just a suggestion ... most people really value a first floor master (just ask a real estate agent) ...
  • Jennifer Hale
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    haha too true! skyping bedtime stories :) It also has taken us so long to get the downstairs layout sorted that I dont think we want to go there again!! Plus the room downstairs is not as big do we couldnt fit a proper master bedroom without seriously altering the layout and losing some of the living space. I love the idea of a loft space, but I think we need to stick with 4 bedrooms for resale value and also there is a good possibility the 4th bedroom could be used as a dedicated office as my husband is a consultant. Loft space will definitely go on my list for my dream house though (when we can go a bit bigger!)
  • dave
    10 years ago
    Here's one idea - drawing is awful, but creates nice master suite with walkin and serious closet space for both other bedrooms and keeps landing
  • Jennifer Hale
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I do like that last one! Only downside is the front of the house with amazing views of the mountains is blocked by closets so seems a bit of a shame. I have a variation, let me know what you all think!!
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Been following the progress here, and I do have to question having a master upstairs with the kids. And if you live here into retirement, you won't be interested in climbing the stairs. Going back to your original layout and assuming a master downstairs, I'd leave everything as is except the master bedroom. I'd make it into a media room or a guest suite. If a media room, I'd minimize the bath as much as possible - perhaps shower, sink and toilet. If a guest suite, you can make it a bit more spacious and luxe. You could also have it do double duty as media/guest room with the Murphy bed idea suggested earlier, or with a really nice pull-out sofabed.
    Old World Character · More Info

Crisp Architects · More Info
    Jennifer Hale thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Jennifer Hale
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes this will likely be our 6-7 year house and a good practice for our dream house...havent had kids yet so not quite ready to retire just yet, we are only in our 30s right now :)
    So we are quite mindful of resale which is why we want to keep the 4 bedrooms, for some reason in our city that is really a requirement and 3 bedrooms have a hard time selling. We have two living/lounge spaces on the main floor, one is a media room and the other is more of our open space to kitchen/dining for causal entertaining so we have those spaces already.
  • lesliemahler
    10 years ago
    Being on the same floor (with a bit of separation) as my children has been invaluable. Stick to your guns and you will figure it out. I do have to say that except for the small closets I liked your original plan the best. Good luck!
  • kathy
    10 years ago
    Jennifer - I'd want to be on the same floor as my young children, so I'd prefer master on the second floor as well. You can worry about "aging in place" issues when you are a decade or several closer:)

Your newest layout is looking good. I really like your master suite with bed facing the view.

How wide is the "hallway" separating your bed area and the bath/closet area? Can you put your dressers there, even if it means shrinking the bed area a little? Keep the bed area just for the bed and maybe one small table/console/desk and then all dressing and bathing behind the dividing wall. I am envisioning a more open dressing room behind that partition wall - maybe the bathroom switches with the closet? If you want natural light, can you still add a window in that area? Or a solatube(sun tunnel)?
  • neighweigh
    10 years ago
    The wall facing the door into the bedroom looks wrong though...
  • kathy
    10 years ago
    I just read LeslieMahler's post, referencing your original comment about closets in kids' room being too small. How big are those closets - little kids don't need a lot of closet.

About 60cm or 24 inches deep would be Candian standard for reach-in closet. Length for a kid's closet - 4' or 120cm would be workable (and more than I had as a kid!), 5' or 150cm is what my kids' currently have and they are half empty. I am currently working on my master closet and bath, and not seeing anyway to get more than 63" by 72" (so hanging along 63" wall x 2) for both of us to share.

If you like your first plan best, but want to separate the master from bed 3, then remove the partition/bed wall in master, adjust the windows so that bed goes on right hand exterior wall and you can add closets and dressers along wall shared with bed 3. These could be built-in wardrobes as opposed to a closet room.

sort of like this:
    [houzz=
    Guest Bedroom · More Info
    ]
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    That works!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    Hi - just adding my 2 cents - ... If you move the door to the right a little in bedroom 3 and have the wardrobes on the wall that backs on to the master ( with the bed on the opposite wall ) it will offer a little more 'noise privacy' from one room to the other !!! ( managed to put that quite delicately I think !! )
  • jpp221
    10 years ago
    I think the first layout is fine. You might want to consider moving the door for the storage room of the master bedroom so that it opens into the hall. That way the kids can use it for overflow storage. Also, that hallway is big enough that I think it could hold a large armour, providing more closet space. (There's no need to sleep in the same room as your clothes, so long as they're not too far off.)

Also, don't forget that while the drawing shows kids in double beds, this need not be the case, so there will be more room for furniture (dressers or whatever) in their rooms.

Finally, that step to bedroom 4 will not be odd at all. I've seen it in other homes. It looks clumsy in the drawing but it isn't. What you'll see when you come up the stairs is a bedroom door on a slight diagonal. It's only an odd jagged step if you walk like a robot, in straight lines along the wall, which is what your eye is doing on the drawing but you won't do in real life.
  • Rebekah Hawks
    10 years ago
    I like the original plan.

I would steal 2 feet from the master bedroom to make a new closet for bedroom #3 and then adjoin both existing closets to be accessed from bedroom #4. This would also provide some sound proofing.

I also would reconfigure the master bathroom with the adjacent storage room so that there is only one door from the bedroom. This gives you more options for furniture placement. The storage room looks large enough to be a walk in closet accessed from the bathroom if the tub was at the other end.
  • Rebekah Hawks
    10 years ago
    I also agree with the other comment about two sinks being more valuable in the kids bathroom than a separate shower stall. You use the sink a lot more throughout the day than you shower and inevitably everyone is brushing their teeth at the same time.
  • Amanda Roberts
    3 years ago

The last one works