luke_redpath

Lounge/dining room blank slate

Luke Redpath
9 years ago
Firstly forgive the mess in the photos, we only moved in 3 weeks ago. Our lounge dining room is quite a typical 1930s layout, with the dividing wall removed. Two chimney breasts with alcoves.

I've always had an overall vision but details are giving us headaches, especially colours! You can probably see on the photo we have been experimenting with tester pots today!

We took the 90s gas fire out and mounted the TV. The chimney is having a stud frame built around it to conceal wires and a recess for the mount will mean the TV can go right up to the wall without sticking out too much.

My plan is to make two traditional alcove cabinets (I'm going to try anyway) for each side and we will have floating shelves above each one. One cabinet will house the AV equipment. I don't want visible cables anywhere. Rear speaker cables will be chased into the wall.

We are having the whole room replastered (skimmed) and ripping out all the existing skirting and architrave. Coving is staying (we have just removed it from the wall so the stud framework can be built - it will be replaced).

I've always fancied the idea of a warm grey and we looked at elephants breath and skimming stone by f&b today. My wife doesn't like elephants breath under artificial light at all - she says it's too dark/green. We have also tried Cornforth White. Woodwork will be white, probably Wimbourne White.

We like the idea of an accent wall and we are leaning towards painting the alcoves a darker colour. We have got samples of Pelt and Brinjal but also like the idea of a teal colour.

Flooring will be decent quality laminate, probably a medium brown/grey oak.

The thing is, I'm struggling to picture the end result and am willing to remain open minded to completely different ideas. We haven't thought too much about the dining room. Should we treat it as one big room or maybe do something completely different?

All furniture you see is temporary (I have other plans for the red wingback chair) so we really do have the opportunity to do anything, budget permitting.

In the future we'd love to replace the old aluminium patio sliding doors that lead to the conservatory with some wooden bifolds but that will have to wait for now.

What would you do?

Comments (37)