joadymcmanus

Pool garden advice

joadymcmanus
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We have never had success with a garden next to our pool. The area is about 1mtr wide, between the pool and the colourbond fence. It gets the afternoon sun and can get very hot. I would like something to hide the fence but without leaves falling in the pool. We do need to walk along the paving line to get to the skimmer box so nothing too spiky as well. I was thinking of using lucky stones as mulch, but was concerned it might make the area even hotter

Any advice gladly received !!

Comments (26)

• ingridsm
    8 years ago

We have that same issue and have succesfully grown bamboo ( gracilis variety) - we do not even have a metre width

joadymcmanus thanked ingridsm
  • Related Discussions

What Is You Favourite Swimming Pool Tile Colour?

Q

Comments (19)
    Love blue tiles. Depending on how much sun and how hot your pool gets in the summer should dictate what color it is. We live in Arizona, so cool blues work best. Our neighbor has brown tile and a dark pebble tech pool. Looks like a swimming hole and gets really hot - 94% water in the summer. They obviously didn't think it through.
    ...See More

Above-ground pools, love 'em or hate 'em?

Q

Comments (1)
    Personally I think you are better to wait until you can afford to put back an in ground pool as the one's that I have seen sitting above the ground look like an eye sore - a temp pool - that looks like it could collapse at any time. Maybe while you save for the bigger project you could rent / buy a large Spa Pool.
    ...See More

Need ideas & advice for my Gardens - Mediterranean/Tuscan style

Q

Comments (1)
    Looks like the palm tree look is working so I would blend that with some succulents maybe agave which can grow large and make great statement plants. Also stick with the stones.
    ...See More

Swimming pool fence help

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi All We are getting a pool and will be using the boundary fence on one side. The boundary fence is 1.8m in height. The interior fence is 1.2m. The issue is the junction where the two fence meets. The rules is that there must be a 900mm non climable zone vertically from the top of the boundary. Where the two fences meet currently there is only 600mm clearance. Any advice would be great. How do people solve this issue? Please share your ideas and photos Thanks
    ...See More
  • ljtf
    8 years ago
    We have the same set up. Planted a hedge of tough Lilly pilly and something called fettuccine plant for low texture. Planted a year ago and all well.
    joadymcmanus thanked ljtf
  • Shalyn V.
    8 years ago

Spray paint the fence in Colorbond "monument" grey and plant colourful shrubs in front with artwork or mirror etc on the fence. I'd suggest golden canes like we have to hide the neighbours but not sure you'd have the width. Bamboo and lilly silly drop leaves and fluffy bits when in flower.

joadymcmanus thanked Shalyn V.
  • kapalmer74
    8 years ago

I have a murraya hedge near our pool and it's great. It grows 2m high to cover that fence. It will drop leaves in the pool when you hedge it but that's only once a month in summer....and it's when YOU decide to hedge it. It's a once off ....you scoop leaves out of the pool 6 times a year. Good Luck

• kapalmer74
    8 years ago

another idea would be to clad that fence in something attractive like bamboo pole fencing..... and then plant super sun tough plants in front of it. Xanadu, full sun Cordylines, By the looks of it, I think you need to add compost and organic matter to that garden bed first, before replanting, to help retain moisture and give plants a better chance. Don't forgot tough ground covers too as they will help keep the soil cool.

joadymcmanus thanked kapalmer74
  • 7weed1
    8 years ago

Amen kapalmer74. Best advice on the page. I don't know about murraya but enriching the soil is essential. Cordylines, while not everyones cup of tea, are very tough, and protecting the soil with mulch and tough, low plantings is essential. For tough i can never go past Myoporum sp. but they may spread too far toward the water. They are very prunable though.

OH! I just searched Murraya. We have one, my Grandma planted it, and I hate it. Very prone to scale and ugly.

Good luck.

joadymcmanus thanked 7weed1
  • Barbara Dunstan
    8 years ago

Any sort of plants would be great but most will still flower so you will get spent flowers into the pool ie: vine but to be honest, you don't have enough room to accomodate a path and plants actually in the ground.

I would suggest you get some really nice large pots and pot up the palms currently in the ground, definitely use some stone mulch and not only will it be low maintenence but will still have greenery and a wow factor.

I'd use river stones of mixed sizes, they do look good around water.

joadymcmanus thanked Barbara Dunstan
  • Luke Buckle
    8 years ago

We have recently used river stones. I have become a fan.

joadymcmanus thanked Luke Buckle
  • kapalmer74
    8 years ago

7weed1 - have you seen Murraya hedged? I've never had a problem with scale in 3 years....but scale gets onto my guava and lemon trees....so not sure if you actually have a Murraya. Mock orange plan yeah?

• joadymcmanus
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you so much everyone for your suggestions.

I fully understand the replenishing of the soil, the image does look bad I admit, we have a lot of doves, and they have started a bird seed forest in the garden and my husband couldnt wait for the Zero to work so he wippersnippered !!

Thank you for the suggestions of planting but Im not keen on the bamboo and we already have a hedge of murrayas against the back fence. We did have a standard murraya and it caused a lot of mess and I think it died as well

The pots on the river pebbles sounds like a good idea - Should I get blue pots to match the pool tile or more natural colour?

I love the image from Secret Gardens above

Thank you all again

• bigreader
    8 years ago
    I add my vote for pots. Will give you instant height.
    joadymcmanus thanked bigreader
  • kylieac71
    8 years ago
    I would paint the fence in Dulux monument as suggested. I would also add the pots with the mother in laws tongues. I would also add some bright screens and perhaps lay artificial turf in the garden bed to give the green look. That also provides access for walking on. I have attached a photo of my fence I recently painted in Monument, the turf is artificial. Also is a photo of a laser cut screen in a very bright yellow. The dark fence would make the yellow screen stand out and provide visual interest. It is a bit dark this photo, but this could be fantastic. I also have red ones in a different design, but the yellow is my favourite. The screens never need tone painted.
    Any tree will drop leaves and will be a pest in a small area. In fact it is often recommended to plant deciduous near a pool as at least you know when the leaves will drop.
    joadymcmanus thanked kylieac71
  • kylieac71
    8 years ago
    A picture of the screen in the light.
    joadymcmanus thanked kylieac71
  • cottonhoney
    8 years ago
    Paint the fence in medium grey, with a lighter grey for the lattice, then add pots and up lights for a stunning decorative effect.
    joadymcmanus thanked cottonhoney
  • taeganerin
    8 years ago

You could always try bamboo, it seems to survive everything and helps create a great tropical feel.

DDB DESIGN Exteriors & Pools · More Info

joadymcmanus thanked taeganerin
  • Shalyn V.
    8 years ago

Hi again, If you watch Better Homes and Garden tonight (or their website) they had a segment on pool areas. Although she was in Cairns it looked wonderful full of colour with bromeliads and dracaenas. They don't need much room.

joadymcmanus thanked Shalyn V.
  • Luisa
    8 years ago

Try Lily Pily 'Backyard Bliss'. We are about to plant it along the side of our pool. The tag specifically says it is good around pools. It doesn't have a berry like other varieties which means you also avoid staining the pool.

• Sarah Dewar
    8 years ago
    I would love to hear how you go with this... We are in similar situation.
    I've looked at star jasmine or happy wanderer type vines (cope with full sun and grow quick with little care/fuss)...
    I like bamboo but leaf drop could be big issue.
    We've even looked at vertical garden (succulents to reduce workload and weight) and mix of screens.
    I'm keen to hear updates...
  • Jill Grannon
    8 years ago
    I agree that the fence needs painting in grey, urban tones. We also have exactly the same situation and have planted Bird oParadise and in the front and alternating we planted Agarves and all are thriving . Placed pebbles all over garden to finish off.
  • PRO
    Bali Oasis - Outdoor Living
    7 years ago
    bamboo fence panels could be the solution. easy to install and cam make a great impact to area not to mention the extra privacy if installing higher panels.
  • Bonny H
    7 years ago

This is what we did in a narrow bed of about 50cm. That's jasmine and - I believe - tea tree bushes below

• PRO
    Designer Vertical Gardens
    7 years ago

A great option is Artificial Plants. Even if it's by itself like this photo here.

Or you combine it with Laser Cut screens like the photo here. The best thing is, they won't drop leaves into your pool or fade in the sun. They even look great all year round.

If you want to see some options please get in touch at sales@designerverticalgardens.com.au or have a look at our website designerverticalgardens.com.au

• montytaffy
    7 years ago
    Your problem is the heat generated by the fence and the pool and path. Anything you plant will have to be super tough. All plants loose and replace their leaves. Evergreen drop some leaves all the time and deciduous once a year. Adding pebbles will only reflect more heat and is becoming a dated look along with the cordylines. I'm not sure of your climate but a bullet proof evergreen plant that will cover the fence and take sun, drought and frost is the nandina domestica. Upright growing but no pruning required. There are new varieties of this plant but this one is just the right height to cover the fence. If you get cold weather in winter you will also get autumn colour. Will sucker from the bottom to fill the gap but not a garden thug. Has berries but because of the upright habit should fall into the garden bed. Sometimes called sacred bamboo but not a bamboo.
  • Joanne Feldon
    7 years ago
    We have planted star jasmine near our pool.. This is pic when they were first planted. They've done really well so I've added 5 more plants in the gaps. Apparently star jasmine tolerates chlorinated/salt water well and ours are really healthy.
  • Doremi Fasola
    2 years ago

Hi Joanna Feldon hows ut goong with the star jasmine and the pool? any issues? I want to do the same but wary of the possible fower fall out