mitchell_parker

Share photos of your 150- to 200-square-foot kitchen!

Mitchell Parker
8 years ago

Retro/Modern/Farmhouse Mashup Kitchen and Bath Renovation · More Info

According to Houzz data, one in five kitchens in the U.S. is between 150 and 200 square feet. While the size is common, the way it functions, looks and feels certainly is not. It always helps to know what others have done with a similar size space. So let's help out our fellow Houzzers who might be remodeling a kitchen soon!

Share photos of your kitchen and tell us the square footage and what makes it special in terms of storage, layout and materials. Go!

Comments (98)

• Idicula Samuel
    8 years ago
    I have roughly 12x12 kitchen. We ended up closing a door to the formal dining and moved the closet and changed all the cabinets and counter.

Added new backsplash, can lights, pendants, under cabinet lights, one more oven, built-in microwave, crown molding, new ventahood, 36 inch single bowl farm sink. Overall a great job for some who did a first kitchen Reno.
  • Tia
    8 years ago

I designed our primary residence so the kitchen came about the exactly the way I wanted it 1) white shaker style with glass fronts, and all the cabinets are all the way to the 9 foot ceiling and I designed the top shelf just so my husband's heirloom silvers have a home (they used to sit on top of the heirloom sideboard getting oxidized and collecting dust!) 2) part of our totally open design ... our 10 people dining area is next to it (I do not like so-calls formal dining room ... a waste of space for me) and from the kitchen you have a total view of the entire common room. 3) big island where I can easily dump all my junk when I come home 4) beadboard on the ceiling and all the end cabinets to add some character.

• Related Discussions

A suitable topic to share ideas for projects on a budget

Q

Comments (77)
    I won't bother with lattice, barrels are partially obscured from the street by fencing and if I put it up I would have to work around the lattice in order to turn the valves for water. If I can just make better use of collected water I'll be happy. We are at the end of our growing season so I should be cleaning up the garden and putting it to bed for the winter, just can't seem to get motivated. We had our first frost last week. Usually, our average early frost date is 1 November. I got almost no produce from garden this year, but there is always next year. Chookchook2 I've seen some of those decorative metal panels and they are gorgeous, sure hope your budget will allow you to get some before too long. Most of our state has been on fire for a good part of the summer. The closest is across the river from us and they have been battling it for almost a month. Some friends have had to evacuate repeatedly. We've only been concerned once, a small grass fire on our side of the river on a day we had wind gusts up to 65mph. Fortunately, it was put out quickly. Australia and New Zealand have both sent firefighters to help with the blazes. I can't begin to tell you how appreciative we are. The closest fire was fought for almost a week by local volunteers only as there were no other resources available. They were all on other fires. The Army National Guard (reserve troops) were called out to help with support duties and for the first time ever the federal Department of Natural Resources (DNR) asked for civilian volunteers to help with non firefighting tasks, cutting fire breaks, moving supplies etc.
    ...See More

Curb appeal indecision... advice please!

Q

Comments (91)
    Sorry I am so late coming to your site - you are an inspiration to all, homeowners and advisers alike. For your planting advice, I suggest you call Merrifield Garden Center to see if they will come out your way. They currently have wonderful garden centers in Merrifield and Fairfax (both in Fairfax County) and a new one in Gainesville, but they may come further south to wherever you reside. (www.MerrifieldGardenCenter.com) Even if they don't send designers to your area, they are worth a trip to see their huge selection for a day of pleasure and inspiration, or to pick up some plants. Most of my clients are in the Fairfax and greater Washington area, but I am currently living out west below Front Royal, VA on the Shenandoah mountainside - wonderful views. cascio.offsite@gmail.com
    ...See More

Master bed/bathroom designs

Q

Comments (28)
    I agree with emily. if you want leave connections and/or a little extra room for what you don't want, but feel you may need for resale. I think the tub is a pretty important item. wet room not at all, and shower is give or take. i would prefer a big shower and a tub for soaking in, but I have always had the combo. I remember my mom built during big wet bar craze, she did not care for one. had space built, capped off connections and use as a closet. Now it is 35 years later, everyone wants to buy and tear down. Darned if you do, darned if you don't. i agree, I would also really like the separate toilet, we are not share everything people.
    ...See More

Not sure where to start!

Q

Comments (49)
    Thanks for the replies! My wife suggested we talk to a local real estate agent, so i think that is a good idea... just that Im not sure how helpful they are likely to be if we arent selling yet :) As for saving for our dream house, I dont disagree, however if doing this up nicely over the next ~5 years or so while we live here nets us some extra in the eventual sale, then that of course will help us as well. Interesting thing happened today actually. I got a knock on the door and one of the older neighbours asked if he could take some lemons from the tree. I of course said yes. Anyway he was telling me he had lived in the street for 40 years. I asked him if the house had always looked like this, and he said no that ~30 years ago the old old owner did a massive renovation and pulled off the timber and put up the bricks and gutted the inside of the house. Interesting stuff!
    ...See More
  • User
    8 years ago
    My kitchen has 108 sq. ft. (13.5x8). My corner walk-in pantry is my lifesaver! I love my little kitchen. Next up: moving the toaster oven off of my counter.
  • John Pohl
    8 years ago

My kitchen is approximately 10' X 15' 5". It is classic white cabinets/absolute black granite/stainless steel. The island measures 4'7" X 7'9" and is the center of all activity in the house.

• reich1
    8 years ago

Brown was the before, white is the after. Not bad before, just too much brown for me. Plus extending the island into the really unusable kitchen table area in front of the island really made the kitchen more functional for eat-in.

• phunkeemum
    8 years ago
    We went from a huge kitchen to this "one person at a time" kitchen when downsized. There is a 4' peninsula to the right of the frig, providing a space for pots and pans, blender, cutting boards, potatoes and onion storage on open shelves underneath. It also acts like a buffet when we have parties, and keeps people out of the kitchen. The mirrored wall behind the table is actually floor to ceiling cupboards which is fab for storing the good china, tupperware, baking supplies, etc etc. - invaluable. Do I ever fantasize about being back in my old kitchen? Yes, at times I do, but not at the expense of everything that went with having a larger property and the expenses and level of commitment that went with it. I should mention that we knew we could do this because we spend about 6 months at our cottage each year and the kitchen is about the same size. It helped us realise that it's amazing how little you need to have everything you need.
  • stumom
    8 years ago

Ours went from what we called a two butt kitchen to this. Love it! We got rid of a too small laundry room and an almost useless pantry (because the door opened into it there was only shelves at the end of the space) and just expanded the kitchen footprint into them. Our laundry is out in the garage that opens off the kitchen and since the garage is very nicely done with epoxy floors and cabinetry it's a good trade off. We went from approximately 48 sq. ft. to 162. The space we expanded into behind the old bar area was dead space anyway because you needed room for the stools to slide out. Now it holds the pantry and we were able to expand the size of the island. The first two pictures below are the same view/angle. Notice the fan and kitchen window are the same.

• sewlilley0
    8 years ago

We have a 10'x12' kitchen we remodeled and gave a small kitchen more counter space and more cabinet space. It now is easier for 2 people to work in. We also took a dark unused coat closet in dining room and added shelves and a light and now it functions as a small appliance pantry to keep clutter off countertops. Here is before and after pics of the space and how nice it is now.

this is a great way to use a small but deep closet with an angle at bottom. It is also nice not to keep small appliances off counter that are not used everyday but easily accessible when needed .

• ljsaeman
    8 years ago

Wonderful, creative small kitchen designs. Not all my taste but each perfect for someone. Always enjoy seeing rooms that not cold and staged!

• Jackie Allen
    8 years ago

Still have some work to finish with trim and baseboards and cover plates but weekends move quickly-much more functional than what we started with. This is a 10x8 kitchen in an apt we rent. This is an under 5k remodel we did ourselves for the building owner. (He paid-we labored!)

• mariep
    8 years ago

finndian Those are beautiful renos! Where did you find the sink in the second reno? It looks like the drain rack is part of the unit?

• mmedia
    8 years ago
    We love to cook and entertain. This 200 square foot kitchen was a huge draw to this house. Behind the bar stools is a 10' counter that makes a great buffet area. That area isn't part of the square footage.
  • kmvincke
    8 years ago
    My 1920's Bungalow was being used as a rental so there was a lot to be done. The kitchen was 7 ft. wide by 8 ft. long with a wall between the kitchen and dining room that I removed adding an extra 2 ft. to the kitchen/counter space. Using tall upper cabinets added the extra storage space and downsizing the stove and refrigerator allowed the extra room for a dishwasher. The glass door upper cabinets help keep the open feel that removing the wall was to accomplish. Add the farm/apron sink, bridge faucet and glass subway tile.....Kitchen equals "My Happy Place"!
  • Paul F.
    8 years ago

mariep, thank you! They were fun to redo... mainly because what was there was SO bad. Then finding 24" wide appliances was a chore... thats a motorhome microwave!

The sink in both units is KINDRED KGCRA8. Pretty easy to care for... if it does get a (rare) stain, a little sanding or bleach and its gone.

• Irene Fortuna
    8 years ago
    My kitchen is so tiny, I have no idea what to do with it. It's cluttered, there is no dishwasher, and oh, the last base cabinet by the wall houses the water heater. talk about minimal space. Any suggestions are welcomed. the space is 11'× 5'. I've been considering a 24" wide fridge/freezer combo like liebherr or bosch. an 18" dishwasher and a 24" range. but can't figure out what to do about the water heater. Behind the picture is the panel box. So basically I have a difficult proyect ahead. the total Sq ft of my condo is 600 sq ft. 1 bed 1 bath.
  • Irene Fortuna
    8 years ago
    My kitchen is so tiny, I have no idea what to do with it. It's cluttered, there is no dishwasher, and oh, the last base cabinet by the wall houses the water heater. talk about minimal space. Any suggestions are welcomed. the space is 11'× 5'. I've been considering a 24" wide fridge/freezer combo like liebherr or bosch. an 18" dishwasher and a 24" range. but can't figure out what to do about the water heater. Behind the picture is the panel box. So basically I have a difficult proyect ahead. the total Sq ft of my condo is 600 sq ft. 1 bed 1 bath.
  • greenwoodframed
    8 years ago

Irene Fortuna what are those cabinets made out of? I think they could look a lot nicer with different hardware- I'm not a fan of those lifeless knobs. If they're not particle-board, you could add new pulls that I think would liven up the space.

www.greenwoodframed.com

• mariep
    8 years ago

finndian Thanks so much! Wish I'd known about that sink when I renoed my rental. I ended up just putting in a single sink. Definitely saving this one for the next time!

• havingfun
    8 years ago

I love seeing all the kitchens with no backsplashes! I was beginning to think i was the only one who has never had a backsplash.

Irene, i am thinking of doing this in my tiny non expandable kitchen. why not turn the entire end wall into one giant cabinet. you might even be able to eliminate some of the others, give your self more counter, and shelves perhaps, feel a little roomier.

• nancy j
    8 years ago

Our kitchen used to be the porch for the former owner, which was very nice, but the house needed a roomier kitchen. The original kitchen was a galley that shared it's space with the washing machine (no dryer). We made the original kitchen into the laundry room with an extra fridge and created a new kitchen out of the back porch.

It's not small, but it's not big. However we love it! The windows steal the show. Everyone who enters loves the amount of windows.

• ecpt
    8 years ago

@nnigrt -- I LOVE your baking annex!

• Amy Klein
    8 years ago

My husband and I bought a three-bedroom bungalow in Florida three years ago. I'd done the bigger 4 bedroom house with finished basement thing in our previous home, and it was nice, but a lot of house to maintain. I discovered I really prefer smaller homes. So this is our kitchen now. It's pretty small, and I'm convinced it turned off a lot of potential buyers. What you see is literally all there is as far as footprint. In the bottom photo you can see the bubble-wrapped handles of the side-by-side fridge. Now, what makes this kitchen a jewel-in-disguise, is that the storage space is actually really, incredibly ample. All of the cupboards go to the ceiling, and on either side of the refrigerator are floor-to-ceiling pantries that are as deep so the fridge sits flush with them. We keep kosher and so have two sets of daily dishes, as well as two sets for Passover. So we keep four sets of dishes and four sets of pots and pans, and still have plenty of space for pantry items as well as plastic-ware, kid's water bottles, etc. These photos are from the online sale listing. The only thing we did to it was move in, and we just replaced the dishwasher (it was old and gave out) with a stainless one. We keep a four slice toaster and a coffeemaker on the counter in the space between sink and stove. The cupboard above that holds coffee, tea, mugs as well as some barware, like tumbers and shakers. The two shelves to the left of the sink hold cookbooks and mixing bowls within easy reach. The glass shelves above the dishwasher house wineglasses and our fancier crystal and glass serving pieces. I store everyday items down low, and items used for parties or for Passover are stored up higher. If I need the stepstool a handful of times a year, that's not a big deal for me. On a daily basis, the kitchen is neat and compact, and easy for 5' 4" me to navigate.

• Lynell Tobler
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

My modest 1300 square foot foursquare-style farmhouse in Baltimore County, Maryland, was constructed in 1862 and came with a 12-foot by 12-foot kitchen. Despite slightly sloping 1970s-era oak cabinets and a very simple island, the basic kitchen layout was adequate and I was (and still am) on a limited budget. So I used what was already there and simply enhanced the space with updated appliances and decor.

For instance, I ran propane across a patio into my basement from a guest house on the property so I could have a gas range in my kitchen, but I kept the valuable counter and cupboard space and stuck with a 30-inch duel-fuel Jenn-Aire range. As much as I wanted granite countertops, I couldn't afford them, so I changed the green laminate to black and added pops color by displaying my Le Creuset and Mauviel cookware instead of hiding them in cupboards.

I don't like chrome (or any of the silver metals) so as soon as I purchased my new gas range, I threw away its chrome oven door handles and designed new free-form handles in brass. Brass-colored spray paint took care of the stovetop knobs. I took up four layers of linoleum and one layer of masonite floor tile and refinished the original pine floorboards. I removed the perforated acoustic ceiling tile and installed embossed brass-colored tin ceiling tiles special-ordered from Home Depot. I liked the look so much I added them as a back splash, too.

I added a butcher-block top to my free-standing dishwasher and doubled its countertop space by installing hidden hinges in the beech so that it folds over on itself when I wheel the dishwasher to the sink to run it. Using a router, I created a hole in the butcher-block which allows me to slide vegetable cuttings and kitchen scraps into the garbage can/compost bin below.

My kitchen is colorful, to say the least, and the large, ancient windows are a bit awkwardly placed. But they let in a lot of light, and I smile every time I walk into the room. It is a joy to cook in my kitchen!

• milokateoh
    8 years ago

I love all the pictures.

This is 10' x 15' in an 1850s Charleston single. It was a treat to find the heart pine floors under the linoleum and plywood. We're thinking of replacing the door (backdoor) with a glass door because it gets beautiful morning and afternoon light. This is a downstairs unit and parking in back is shared with the upstairs unit. Any suggestions for glass and privacy?

• nancy j
    8 years ago

@milokateoh: You can use spray paint in "frost" for windows to allow light, but add privacy. I did sprayed many windows on one side of my house where the neighbor is very close. I have sprayed them completely and sprayed over a stencil to give it some visual interest. I know there are films you can purchase rather than using the spray and some have patterns or stain glass designs.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

lynell, i adore your kitchen! Especially the cabinet tops, a real working kitchen, i bet everything up there serves a purpose at some point. I think that is why the designed tops never look good. they are pointless.

Milo, i love the films, and you can get them for $30 or less. here are 2 examples.

Vines Privacy Window Film · More Info
    filmy leaves
    Jeweled 3 Faux Privacy Stained Glass Clings and Window Films · More Info
    i know you are saying this is a bit much, but this lady lets you design your own. have fun!

• Paul F.
    8 years ago

Irene Fortuna, your tiny kitchen has tons of potential! I can see a 24" wide refrigerator on that back wall where the microwave is now, cabinets to the ceiling, tank-less water heater, venting microwave over a stove top, mirrored backsplash to reflect the view out the window across.

It looks like you have a wall next to the existing refrigerator that could come out and the counter can stick into the other room a bit to make a bar with plenty of room for a dishwasher and maybe a wine cooler! Possibly a corner sink if it will fit back there... with a mirrored wall over it so you are not staring at a cabinet 5 inches from your face. I faced a lot of the same problems with the kitchens I posted above that you are facing... take a look. Good luck!

• milokateoh
    8 years ago

nancyjacobs - I really like the stencil combined with the frosting spray. Very clever. Our eventual plan is actually a shared small garden courtyard between the back door and a recreated carriage house a short distance behind it. So I had envisioned something more like a roman shade to give privacy when desired from the door that looks out onto the courtyard. And also a living wall separating the view of the neighboring house on the left from the small porch going to the courtyard- a solution that actually allows you a full view into the garden when desired. It's dense urban space. Maybe that's not so practical with three units (upstairs, downstairs, carriage house) sharing the courtyard space.

• gurukaram
    8 years ago

Irene Fortuna - Is the hot water heater a tankless one? It is expensive but they can be installed on an outside wall and you have never-ending hot water.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

guru and finn, do either of you have a tankless? I was all sold then i heard mixed reviews, mainly it seems not worth it if electric, and it is if it is gas? Although i would think that in a kitchen where it is not running for ages with showers and bath, and yet gives instant hot, might be worth it anyway? Another positive is i understood, you could hang high?

Milo - I am thinking you mean planted, when you say living? There is now a new product that looks like a vine covering. cool for when you want to have immediately as natural grows in, remove this one.

• Irene Fortuna
    8 years ago
    gurukaram, no the water heater is a tank water heater that fits in that last cabinet. I did consider a tankless water heater but the water line is also in the same spot. I know I'm going to have to bring in a plumber and an electrician to tackle those issues. Then once that's done I can go ahead and just design a kitchen that is both beautiful and functional. I did want to get some feedback to have other peoples perspectives.
  • Paul F.
    8 years ago

I have 3 tankless water heaters in my triplex... all gas. Two are on the roof above townhouse style apartments and the water can take about 90-120 seconds to travel down to the kitchen on the main floor. In my unit the tank is about 10 feet from my kitchen and laundry but its still about 20-30 seconds to get the heated water. The endless hot water just changes everything I grew up believing about hot water heaters... sudden blasts of cold water are a thing of the past. Including... when a toilet is flushed or if both showers are being used and the dishwasher and washing machine is on! I do not get temperature variations in the heated water no matter how much hot water is being used. The heaters do need to be flushed out every 2 years. Minerals build up in the coil and they need to be dissolved out. I do this myself with a vinegar solution and a pump.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

thanks finn.

• Maria Smith
    8 years ago
    My kitchen which was remodeled last year. I worked within the existing space but flipped the working part of the kitchen with the dining area. We added the bump out to gain a bit more room for seating & storage. Cabinets go all the way to the ceiling, and every available inch was used- no filler pieces. It is quite functional for its size.
  • gurukaram
    8 years ago

havingfun - Yes, I have had a gas tankless water heater for 15 years and still think that it is the best home improvement $s that I ever spent. Unlimited hot water and no big ol tank taking up precious space.

It replaced a huge tank that was placed right behind my bed and could be seen through an interior window from the bedroom into the laundry room where it lived. I know that it sounds crazy and it was - I have since remodeled the house and fixed that whole mess, but it had to happen soon after we moved in.

• crothenb
    8 years ago
    Sharon oor
    I love what you did with your kitchen. I d love to see the rest of your house!
  • crothenb
    8 years ago
    Sorry, Sharon Ooi
  • Sharon Ooi
    8 years ago
    oh!sorry Crothenb ,I have deleted the photo of my house n will post up when I m ready because I m out station for other projects which is 5hour away from home. Thanks for appreciation......
  • Patricia Dowd
    8 years ago

My tiny kitchen includes some colorful items: refrigerator and matching light fixture, backsplash behind the stove, base cabinets with the box painted black, bright yellow walls, solid surface countertops and ceramic tile floors. it's a functional, yet delightful space.

• Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

whoa look at that fridge....reminds me of the vans, cars, and busses being 'wrapped' with company advertising.....they look so great. maybe that could be a new thing, getting your fridge wrapped... its like a temporary tattoo.

• Patricia Dowd
    8 years ago

Yes, nnigrt, that's exactly what I had done to my fridge! And we LOVE it!

• Jennifer K
    8 years ago

Cool fridge wrap! I went looking on Houzz and there is a listing for someone who does these. I may need to investigate.

Custom design refrigerator wraps · More Info

• Irene Morresey
    8 years ago
    Just moved in, trying to make it my own, might be over the top, will have to take some things away, but hard when you have downsized lol
  • Patricia Dowd
    8 years ago

Hey Jennifer K, you can also Google auto wraps, which is what I did. They came to the house and did it for me. Cool, huh?

• Jennifer K
    8 years ago

@vegaspat: entirely cool!

• cheribob
    8 years ago
    I just redid my kitchen last year. Before was Euro white cabinets & brass light fixtures. My kitchen is 15' x 8' galley. I have s 6' x 6' window on the far wall plus a sliding door to the patio.
  • cheribob
    8 years ago
    I also eliminated a weird peninsula that cut the kitchen in half. I widened the doorway to the dinning room. It turned out to be a load bearing wall so I was limited to about 6". I moved the fridge away from the doorway to the far side of the sink.
  • cheribob
    8 years ago
    A picture of the widened doorway
  • cheribob
    8 years ago
    Did I mention that I live in a condo so I am stuck with the footprint.
  • abhaybaid89
    7 years ago
    200sq feet master room furniture