barrie_manners

Design Dilemma - Living room, caught in two minds.

Barrie Manners
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi,

My name is Barrie and i am an Englishman living in South Korea. I have recently decorated a downstairs living/dining room as it will hopefully be one of the rooms used in our new photo studio. It's important that i point this out as it's not necessarily important that it has a true flow as the camera obviously only points towards 1 part of the room at a time. I have no prior experience and feel well out of my depth.

My original idea was to make a Victorian (Well European style) dark walled moody living and now it has turned into something somewhat different. My wife had a carpenter make us some lovely doors which i painted black and gold, and then she installed a fireplace which i painted black. Then came adding the white baroque style moulding.... I had reservations from the beginning and argued that all the moulding should be the same color (gold) We then purchased a chandelier which i sprayed blue (why?) After this the room had no real identity so i decided to spray paint and reupholster a ding table and 4 chairs. I thought that it might work having a mix of old with some very bright colors and in truth it still might. So my dilemma is do i try go for a more normal traditional style or can someone please give us some advice?

The floor is laminate and i would love to stain it much darker but I understand it's not possible to do that. I think a rug would also be nice and maybe help bring things together but before that i think there are a lot of other issues to address. I am also aware that the room is still a bit empty and needs more ornaments/personal items which i don't have. It is difficult to say the least to source/afford the items i want whilst living in South Korea.

I have uploaded some photos and hope someone can kindly give me some help :-)

Below are a few photos of the style i wish i could create

Comments (15)