bruin_girl

Should I add crown molding to my new kitchen?

bruin_girl
7 years ago
I am torn and need advice. We completely redo our kitchen. I have white cabinets with beautiful details and stainless steel appliances. The original design is the cabinets with about 5-6 inch crown molding to the ceiling. But due to a beam we have to change design and only use a small 2 inch molding to finish the cabinets. In my opinion the small molding doesn't match the cabinets style. It's missing something.

I am thinking to add crown moldings around the ceiling so the kitchen may feel more "complete". But the ceiling has four "curved corners" so I have to order the corner moldings in a plastic/rubber like material (soft) and the rest of them are wood. Contractor said it won't look good because they will paint the crown molding after finishing installation, and difference will show on the look of paints on two different kind of material. It's going to be very noticeable and hard to maintain. He said the ceiling without crown molding looks clean and more open, but if I add the crown molding it will look busy and my kitchen will feel smaller. I don't know if he is just being lazy not wanting to do the work, or giving me the honest and constructive suggestion....

I attach pictures below: original design, actual kitchen as of now, rendering with ceiling crown molding.

My questions:

1. Does my kitchen looks good as of now? Is adding crown molding too much and make my kitchen look smaller?

2. Do you agree crown molding on the ceiling will make my cabinets look more "complete"?

3. Dose the paint really look different on rubber material v.s. Wood material?

Thank you so much!

Comments (8)