mommickey

Help. My house is for sale and was told to make it less modern.

mommickey
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Can someone please help me. I need an area rug more tradtional No more than ( $500. for the carpet) and accessories ideas for the dining room, kitchen and rug for the dining room to make my house less modern. Apparently people keep saying it is to modern. They can't see past my furniture. I am trying to keep the expense down. Thank you.

Comments (55)

• flopsycat1
    6 years ago

Who told you to make it less modern? I think it looks great. Agree with switching out the two chandeliers. The one over the dining table could be hung a little lower. Perhaps a few colorful accessories on the kitchen counter, but avoid clutter. Dining rooms wall photos hung lower, at eye level. Fresh flowers are always a plus. Is there some other reason the house may not be selling? Price? Location?

mommickey thanked flopsycat1
  • Related Discussions

1940's NZ kitchen - small, awkward-ish layout.

Q

Comments (121)
    I would suggest you take out the cabinet that is to the right of the stove and use it elsewhere in the house -- perhaps in the bathroom or dining room with a hutch above it. Then, I would suggest you have someone install a lazy susan cabinet in the corner between the sink counter and the stove, meaning you would move the stove down a bit and have a small cabinet/counter top to the right of the stove. I would suggest you have the cabinets refinished in white and then paint the walls a pastel you like. If you would prefer white walls, then add white-painted crown molding and paint the ceiling a light neutral blue, such as Sherwin Williams Niagara Falls Blue. Then, I would suggest you choose a favorite accent color and use this sparingly in accessories like towels, pot holders, small vases or floral arrangements, and a valence above the triple windows. For a genuine 1940s look, you might have white ceramic square tiles with a rectangular red border installed as a back splash behind and above the stove. If you are replacing counter tops, I would suggest a light color such as white with a beige or light grey vein or striation for some sort of pattern. You might be able to find the same color and design in floor tile OR opt for a wood floor as another poster suggested.
    ...See More

Choosing the right colours for to decorate my house

Q

Comments (12)
    The ghost chairs are AMAZING! Very strong and stable. It brings a a lot of space for a small room and the loui style are very classy. Ok I will buy the table, it's goof price and I totally love it. I am living in a construction camp at the moment! Everything is a mess but I hope everything will look beautiful when the renovation finishes. I have just moved in with my partner, the typical manly man and I am the typical burly so it's hard to compromise in colours and styles! Plus there aren't many cost effective options in NZ so decorating is basically a mission!
    ...See More

Boring house looking for ideas on how to update

Q

Comments (32)
    Hi definitely remove the x bars on the deck balustrade. Landscape close to the house so it grounds the house. Trees will make it look less bare. Chose some that work for your area, that are evergreen, and are not going to grow really big. With a really plain house - dark colors will make it look better. Dark Grey, or black with a warm tone so it doesn't have a blue undertone in it. Make sure it is a warm grey or black. Use green foliage around it. Paint out the pergola in the dark grey too or white if you want a different look. Fill in the balustrade where the x is removed with plants in front of those areas. Grow a vine up the pergola that is nice.
    ...See More

Layout my kitchen!

Q

Comments (15)
    The first thing I require each of my clients to do before even starting the design layout is to choose their appliances. Your kitchen designer will need the manufacturer's specifications to know what size to make the cabinets to accommodate them. Be aware that there is required distances needed around and island, typically 36" up to 48" depending on placements of appliances. This will dictate the size and shape of the island. Clean lines, simplicity, innovative materials like glass countertops, exotic woods or Italian veneer slab doors, flip or lift up doors can add unexpected touches to a modern/ contemporary space. Here are some photos of one of my favorite Euro Modern kitchen I did for one of my clients not long ago.
    ...See More
  • User
    6 years ago

downbytheriver's ideas for the kitchen. I personally would not purchase expensive art. Just something from a chain store to soften the kitchen a little. You could always donate it later if it is not your style.

Madison Park Burlap Blossoms Canvas Wall Art (Set of 2)

mommickey thanked User
  • jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)
    6 years ago

I agree about changing the real estate agent. Your house looks beautiful and the right buyer will come along. Fresh flowers and fruit bowl is a good idea and that's it.

mommickey thanked jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)
  • PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    6 years ago

Try speaking with friends and family and see if you can "shop" in their houses for some items ( no cost! ) While I don't mind your home I think it is missing warmth which is what people feel like with modern design styles... I would definitely switch the 2 rugs, see if you can borrow some other lamps for the living room, remove the teal pillows and put a softer color there and some nice throws. I know they tell you to declutter, but it looks like it went a little too far - try adding a few things back. In the kitchen, it could be the angle of the photo but the table looks way too small and it is very contemporary compared to your cabinets - I would change that.

The other thing you could try is to go to some open houses in your area in houses that are similar to yours and see how they are "staged"..

Good luck! I hope you sell soon!

mommickey thanked Debbi Washburn
  • jonio
    6 years ago
    Lovely home and furnishings! I agree that lowering the pictures would make it look cozier. Good luck!
  • Snaggy
    6 years ago

I wouldn't... it looks fine as is clean and fresh ..if they can't look past what is there! ..new people will change it to their style as soon as they move in ..save your money

• mommickey
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you, My agent said two people out of nine showings the first two days said it was two modern. So she suggested for open house. We got an offer this morning but it is a low ball offer. Were priced right it is suburban Pa. it is just a more traditional neighborhood. We like modern minimal. I was just looking to get more offers as do as agent suggested.

• nicolediane
    6 years ago

I agree with what the others have said. I would remove the rug from the dinning room because it highlights that the table is not centered and add a bowl of fruit or flowers to all the rooms.

• mommickey
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Do you think making the room warmer by adding this rug for open house? It has a little gold and warmer colors. I could add gold pillows to my grey couch.

• mommickey
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• steviepridenow
    6 years ago
    I agree with the assessments. Beautiful. But while flowers look great they are a pain to keep up, and expensive . Try fruit or greenery. I'd set the tables appropriately to the rooms, even if you just do a partial set up as if for a party. Center the kitchen table. Swap the chandeliers. In the living room, leave out an innocuous book, pretty mug, and throw as if someone just set them down.

I have sold or helped sell 3 houses in 8 years, staged two of them myself after getting tips from my stager on the first one. All sold faster than most others. Check a few professional staging sites for ideas. And Houzz has staging stories. There is a fine line between minimal and sterile. I found I got a lot of interest if the rooms looked a little lived in,without being too personal. Don't buy just to stage unless you can do it at discount stores. Good previous suggestion to get input from others. Be wary of advice from realtors. Sometimes they aren't good at staging. Just sayin'. And buyers do need help looking good past your style. A little help from your staging can get them past it.
    mommickey thanked steviepridenow
  • mommickey
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I would use the rug posted in our new home. So it would not be a waste.

• mystarz
    6 years ago

Do you have a Target? Any chance you could bring in some wood pieces? They have some nice ones right now. I love your design by the way, but some people read modern as "institutional" and feel like it's not cozy enough.

-Use the dining room rug in the living room. Get some texture going in there so it looks less neutral.

-Lower the dining room light (whichever one you end up using, if you swap them) and center your table directly under it.

• mommickey
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I will have my son electrican swap them. The dining room rug is way to small to fit in the living room. One is 8x10 and the other is 11 x 14. I agree some people don't like the feel. Our one friend said it is not homey one night. She left and we said it's homey to us because it has no clutter. I will look at target to add wood accessories. Thank you.

• Katharine Flanders
    6 years ago
    MomMickey, your home is beautiful. We don't know the exterior view and maybe that is the issue. If you want to make any changes, try moving the rug in the DR to your living space and see how you like that look. In the DR, try it without any rug...dress the table (Pottery Barn has some great online ideas for table dressing). In the kitchen, pull the table a little away from the wall. Do you have 4 small cafe chairs for the kitchen table (available at Houzz, Target, Overstock, etc at very reasonable $).? Set the kitchen table with some lively tableware (ala Fiesta Ware) so the house hunters can visualize eating in the space. I think it will all look very cozy and welcoming. Let us know what you do and please post photos! Best regards...K
    mommickey thanked Katharine Flanders
  • User
    6 years ago

I agree your house is beautiful.

Try to soften it up a little with a print. Printed rug, printed pillow. A soft colorful throw across the couch. A colorful vase with flowers on your coffee tables with a couple of books from the thrift store if necessary. Nothing needs to be expensive if it's temporary.

Surya AR075-1818P Ara Decorative Pillow

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    6 years ago

When you are selling your home what you like/love needs to go out the window ( or into the moving van )That is the hardest thing to do .... if you live in a traditional neighborhood and that is the exterior style of your home you will need to bring some of that inside. You will strike the right cord with someone.... I would be curious to hear what the other 7 people thought of the house?

mommickey thanked Debbi Washburn
  • Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    6 years ago

Perhaps buyers (with children) see all the chrome, glass and high gloss furniture and all they can think of is smudges/fingerprints? Since you're in the burbs?

Do you have a fireplace or any other elements to show off?

I like the poster who said to "shop" from friends and family.

Personally, I think your home is terrific.. post pictures and let us know what you decide!!

mommickey thanked Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
  • jhmarie
    6 years ago

The gray floor is somewhat taste specific and cannot be changed. I suspect that is what is being called "modern" - not that it is "modern" in style because it could be considered rustic or farmhouse too, but that it is a trendy new style floor. I would not over worry the staging. Someone who likes the look will eventually walk in the door.

• acm
    6 years ago

Yeah, I was thinking a couple of coffee-table books in the LR, a flowering plant in the dining room (longer lasting than flowers), a cute teapot in the kitchen, with an elegant cookbook open on the counter. That kind of thing leads to the homey/lived-in vibe without actually heading in the too-personal/cluttered direction. My stagers use all kinds of touches like that!

mommickey thanked acm
  • User
    6 years ago

The dining room rug is large enough for the living room. Just place the front legs of the furniture on it. While this look is not what you prefer, it will work just for the staging. Keep in mind that these small things laying around will look messy to you, it may bring you more money in the end. Just post new pics as you move things and everyone here will help you.

mommickey thanked User
  • mommickey
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The outside is traditional. It is getting many hits and zillow says its a top looked at listing and I am getting showings. My realtor is saying it is to modern. My bathrooms are new etc.

• dyliane
    6 years ago

It's ridiculous people won't buy your furniture

mommickey thanked dyliane
  • mommickey
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I agree but some people have no imagination. I will post pictures when I update the rooms. I want to buy things we will use not things to just sell. The books, flowers plants, basket with pillows, blanket. Some people just cannot just see their own items in others homes.

• jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)
    6 years ago

My agent said two people out of nine showings the first two days said it was two modern.

Two out of nine is hardly a majority. What they are saying is that it's too modern for them. But they are probably not talking about your decor. They are talking about the house itself - the open floor plan, the light color floors, etc. They are talking about intrinsic things that cannot be changed. These are things you have absolutely no control over. Don't sweat it - your house will sell.

• User
    6 years ago

Well, we all agree that the house is beautiful. But the simple truth is that a large amount of people just see the furniture and can't imagine how it will look with their own. I also agree with the posters who recommended borrowing items from friends and family. No need to purchase new items. Whatever it take to get a higher offer.

• Kerry Blossom
    6 years ago

I love your house. To make it less modern- Can you move the two white modern chairs to another area in the house- or in storage. They are very nice- maybe people seem them as "too modern" and move the other rounder white chair in its place. Swap out the rugs out the patterned one in the living room- and maybe put a table cloth on your awesome table and a throw blanket or two on the couch. Maybe grab a kitchen rug or two to put in the kitchen.

• sofikbr
    6 years ago

I wouldn't worry about furniture, it is really nice. Would remove rug from dining room, move it to living room. Change light fixture in dining room to something larger also install it lower. Add soft accessories (don't overdo). I also think that adding nice long window panels to all windows would softer look. They can be found in Home Goods for 25 pair...

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

It's true that some people have trouble picturing their things in a completely different setting, or understanding how to transition one design style into another.

Which is where the real estate agent comes in with "remember their furniture will be moving with them. See these lovely wood cabinets?...Isn't this crown molding a charming touch?...The backyard access from the kitchen is so desirable..."

It's about the sell, and I agree 2 out of 9 is not an overwhelming consensus by any stretch. I wouldn't change much to cater to the less than 25% who can't see past what's in front of their noses. Good luck to you, looking forward to hearing you've accepted an offer ;)

• champcamp
    6 years ago

I would be thrilled to walk into a house like yours. I have imagined my way out of golden oak cabinets, oak trim, popcorn ceilings,etc., in houses we have purchased and certainly can overlook furniture tastes (staged or not).

mommickey thanked champcamp
  • mommickey
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I have had two calls from neighbors who have buyers. They love the modern look. So I will add a few touches we have in boxes and pray we get a full priced offer. I will keep you informed thanks everyone for your advice and help. I appreciate it.

• apple_pie_order
    6 years ago

Great suggestions above. Here are some more ideas to warm it up: replace the cool blue pillows, candles and decorative vases with bright warm sunflower yellow or warm red items. Pillow covers and candles will run you about $50. Add living green houseplants at $15-$20 each. Keep a $10 bouquet of sunflowers in the kitchen and pick out some great flowers for the dining room, too (or use a lush green plant) on the table. Remove the giant floor pot in the dining room or put a real living $30-$50 tree from a big box store in it if it is waterproof. No fake trees or fake flowers for this wonderful house.

If you like the look of Oriental rugs, you could buy an inexpensive machine made rug for the living room in the traditional warm red colors. Often modern furniture is combined with Oriental rugs for style and color.

A large 36" or so colorful painting from Home Goods or similar shop for the dining room would be much warmer than the sophisticated black and white prints.

Ranch Restored · More Info

view to boston · More Info

• KK Johnson
    6 years ago
    If someone doesn't offer what you want counter offer and if they keep lowballing you then move on! We had the same thing happen to us and even had a buyer back out because they want to lowball after winning a bidding war when the appraisal came in. House was priced right and appraisal reflected that, sometimes people just want to lowball you to feel they are "getting a deal" which is not how the market is today. You will find the perfect buyer, don't stress and don't go spending money on new furniture.
    mommickey thanked KK Johnson
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

Great news for your neighbours, and another selling point for your Realtor: "buyers are snapping up homes in this neighbourhood, two have already sold this week!" ;)

• User
    6 years ago

In general I'd say the average person can't see past the existing furniture n so they either love ur place or hate it, depending on their personal taste. So obviously, That is the reason why they tell u to stage ur house. But believe me, it Will sell no matter what, it's just a matter of that one person who loves ur style or that one who can see how "they" will decorate the place.

Realtors r looking for the easiest, general type house that will appeal to the "general" public. IMO,

At least that has been my experience, some realtors will tell u what is best for them...

My personal advice, U decide for ur self what to do or not to do to sell in the timeframe that u hope to follow. Good luck :)

• User
    6 years ago

Oh yeah, I personally love the pictures u show, so see we r out there. Lol.

mommickey thanked User
  • User
    6 years ago

You have light floors, thin moldings, and light walls. Your house is on the modern side of things, and that has nothing to do with the furniture.

So people who want really traditional won't want your house no matter what you do with furniture and rugs.

There will be a buyer for your house. Not sure where you are but where I live, things have been selling in a week or les s when they are nowhere as nice as your place.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

If you're on the market for six weeks/eight weeks with lookers but no takers, you are priced too high. PERIOD. They aren't buying your furniture and rugs. Go buy some toss pillows, get some fresh flowers, and consider the "ask". Everything sells ! But a house is worth exactly what someone will PAY.

• toni1947
    6 years ago
    It looks great the way it is. Maybe you need a new real estate agent
  • Renee
    6 years ago
    Small changes:

I'd switch the kitchen and dining room table while you are moving light fixtures. Switch the dining and living room rugs. Get a rug similar to the gray but a brighter color for the kitchen.
    Remove the white chair in the corner in the living room and put one of the other white chairs there.
  • PRO
    ReMax - Lisa
    6 years ago
    I'm a realtor and I agree. Don't spend any money. You don't mention how long your home has been listed or how the market is moving in your area, so it's hard to say. In my opinion, if it's been listed for a while, longer than average for your area, and you don't have any wonky issues (like a Wet basement, or smoky house, or bad location) the last issue is price. In my area, I say 10 showings, or 2 weeks with no offers, you need to adjust the price. Your home looks clean, and uncluttered, a new rug or throw pillows won't make a difference. Good luck!
  • PRO
    Linda
    6 years ago

The living room reminds me of a hotel lobby. The pillows are just too perfectly placed and the color is too controlled for me, like someone picked out just the correct color and number of decorative items from some staging catalog. I understand you like clean and uncluttered but most buyers want to imagine living in the space, not just tiptoe through and try not to leave a mark.

I don't get a cozy feeling from the space; it just feels too sparse for me. How about a big green plant for the corner and perhaps a dark rug for the living room. Thrift stores often have great coffee table books and striking design items.

• mommickey
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We had five offers. We are in contract. We found out it was more our agent unhappy with things than people. We had added coffee table tim cotterill art book etc.

• User
    6 years ago

Congrats!

might want to use a different agent in the future!

• gtcircus
    6 years ago
    Can you enlist the help of a stager? That way they take back all their stuff and you don't have to mess with it. Your house is nice, I think people are turned off by how sterile it looks - especially if they have children. It's going to take more than a bowl of fruit. Remember staging is all about presenting your home to appeal to the most number of potential buyers - it has NOTHING to do with what you like or how you live.
  • gtcircus
    6 years ago
    Just saw the message, great news.
    mommickey thanked gtcircus
  • sharayak
    6 years ago
    If people think this is modern, obviously they are not knowledgable and have a very small design vocabulary. Don't buy a new rug, that seems expensive. Good luck!
    mommickey thanked sharayak
  • User
    6 years ago

Fantastic news!

mommickey thanked User
  • nicolediane
    6 years ago

I'm happy to hear you are in contract. Annoying that it was just your agent.

mommickey thanked nicolediane