nickyla

Help! Which kitchen design should I choose?

Nicole A
6 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi all, we are about to do an extension, which will house the new kitchen. Here is the floorplan to give you the context of the kitchen location (I've drawn in kitchen option 2 to get you started).

Option 1: fairly large island; cupboard-style pantry with bifolds will have stone benchtop inside to house appliances, with open-fronted drawers below, shelves above. Full-height window to the right of pantry. Microwave in island bench, so only room for under-sink pull-out bin/recycling.

Note: pantry needs to be on right side of fridge to allow fridge doors space to open fully.

Option 2: peninsula rather than island and what I'm calling a step-in pantry: only 600mm of standing room, but no door so should be comfortable to stand in. A lot of bench space for appliances, with open shelves above and below. Window splashback in pantry for added light. Microwave moves in here, under the bench, so room in island for drawer bin/recycling. Peninsula and cooktop benchtop a little smaller than in option 1.

Possible disadvantage: Wall to create step-in pantry has the effect of making the kitchen seem a little smaller? (see the floorplan to see what I mean)

Option 3: All tall cabinets are moved to back wall. Spacious cupboard-style pantry with bifolds, stone benchtop for appliances etc as in option 1 (but quite a bit wider). Cooktop benchtop shifts under the window (I didn't continue the benchtop between the fridge and the cooktop as it would restrict the space around the cooktop too much, so that gap may look a little strange? (most kitchens with this design have a door there into a butler's pantry). Island length reduced a little more again, and cooktop benchtop also reduced about 800mm in length c/w option 1.

Advantage: view out the window from cooktop; wall oven and microwave rather than under-bench.

Would love to get everyone's input, as I have agonised over this decision for weeks!

kitchen option 1.JPG
kitchen option 2.jpg
kitchen option 3.jpg

Comments (164)