thekipobros

Design Advice for first home new build

Api Ipo
5 years ago

Hi Houzzers, I wanted to get some advice on my custom floor plan. We picked this corner block for its orientation, it is north facing, and that particular side of the house is the corner side so no neighbours. These plans are not final so we do have time to make some changes.

Things to note,

1. You can't see it on the plan but there is going to be central opening sliding doors by the alfresco.

2. The western window in the family area will be LowE glass. I wanted a window there just to keep an eye on the kids swimming if I was reading a book in that area.

3. We are pretty much on maximum for all sides of the home so we can't really make the house any bigger.

4. Just if your wondering, the space directly opposite the entry into the home via the garage is a mini mudroom.

5. Things we have already planned to change is putting more space in the kitchen between the island. The actual space will be 1300mm. We are swapping the Dish washer to the otherside in the pantry as where it is now is right in the walkthrough, so would cause some traffic problems. I've also increased size of the fridge space so it won't protrude out.

My concerns,

1. The area marked storage is indeed my Theatre room. It will connect direct to my office and there is a purpose for this. I work as a filmmaker so if I want to show a client a video I can bounce it from the office to the media and also have that direct access. Main trouble in this space is that it's not as big as I would have liked and apparently I can't mess with the garage to create room and the kids rooms are pretty small as they are and I don't want to make squeeze there. All thoughts would be welcome!

Other then this one concern we are pretty happy with the plan. wanted to get some thoughts from you guys and maybe how we can make it better!

We are building in Ipswich, Qld, and my goal has been to build a solar passive house, try my best on our very limited budget to make it cooler in summer with the need for mechanical cooling. We have stacked up the insulation in the roof, Anticon with R3.5 batts. Exterior walls R2.5. Fans in every room. Hoping to have minimal draughts through out and the pool is for the kids while they are young. Can we do better? Any thoughts would be great! The house is a steel framed, pitched roof, brick veneer home, pretty standard here in Qld.

Thanks guys, Lok forward to your thoughts and any and all recommendations.

cheers

Comments (35)

• dreamer
    5 years ago
    Hi, yes you could definitely use the alcove opposite internal garage door as an area for shoes, bags etc. attached are photos of entry stands that would be ideal in the alcove. Just depends how you live. If you find it difficult to keep things organised, then your hallway might become cluttered. But if you keep the shoes in baskets and bags hung, then it would be fine. This area, in my opinion, would be traditionally used for a buffet and artwork.
  • PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    5 years ago

There a few problems I can see without knowing the brief or budget given to the designer.

Garage size is ok, but width is a bit narrow, make it 6000 mm minimum.

Ensuite is large but a bit of a clunky layout. WIR bit small, you'll find out it is too small, even for me who has not many clothes....

WIP is a bit of a fad, do you really need one so big? Make it smaller and make WIR bigger perhaps? Fridge location is quite popular.... many people are putting them across from island.... I don't really know why, I don't see this location as ideal. Personal opinion perhaps.

Look at door locations in office and 'store'. These current locations have made both rooms less usable, clunky to furnish. Door and window locations are way more critical than room sizes.....

Bathroom, WC and Laundry. Pokey spaces for such a large house. I'm presuming you have a couple kids, you'll need more space for laundry and bathroom as they get older.

The house will struggle to be 'solar passive' in the full sense if that what you're aiming for.

Good to have a house with decent insulation and minimal draughts but ventilation is super important too. More so if its well insulated, you need to be able to exhaust hot humid air in summer for example to reduce reliance on air conditioning.

The design is quite 'project home' looking rather than a custom design. I'd almost suggest finding a comparable design from a volume builder. Potentially saving money for construction.

Even a quick ballpark construction cost for the house came in at just under $550k. Add landscaping, driveway, fences and gates, pool, etc......

• Related Discussions

new home build - where to start

Q

Comments (0)
    Hello everyone. We have currently sold our house and looking to build. Where is best place to cut cost and most important areas to spend on? Any advice appreciated. I prefer a modern/scandi/minimalist look.
    ...See More

Best bathroom layout for my first house? Help please!

Q

Comments (14)
    We have a 900x900 shower and it's plenty big enough. Neither of your proposed layouts looks that great, to be perfectly honest, sorry! In the first layout, you could improve it quite a lot by swapping the toilet and vanity (centre the toilet under the window on the bottom right of the picture if possible), and having the shower door on the other wall (beside the door). Then, you could have a towel rail on the wall beside the door (i.e. behind the door when it's open), which would be accessible from the shower but hidden when the door was open. An 800x1200 shower might be a good size for your space. You'd have to choose a toilet that doesn't protrude too far, plus a narrow vanity. With that layout, you could have a long but narrow wall-hung vanity, with a big mirror covering the wall between the windows, which would make the room feel bigger and would give a good amount of storage. Also, you may find this helpful: http://www.houseplanshelper.com/small-bathroom-floor-plans.html?utm_content=buffer4aa20&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
    ...See More

Halfway through new build, need advice about timelines.

Q

Comments (0)
    Hello everyone! I must say all the advice on here has been extremely helpful in our first home build, thank you! I'm hoping we can get a clearer picture of what to expect from some of your experiences about build times. We started our adventure early last year and site prep only happened right at the end, just before Christmas close down. Work on the foundations began straight after in January and before the COVID-19 lockdown, most of the cladding (the brick parts) was done which leaves only the Linea bit (about 15%). Plumbing is mostly done and we're told wiring will be finished by the end of this week, too. Is this sort of an average timeline or is it a bit on the slower side? We can see other houses being started after ours and now have gone far ahead of where ours is. Also what times should we expect after this point and when should we start pushing the builder to speed things along? Also to note it's a small house, just over 157sqm. on a 500sqm section. Thanks in advance guys!
    ...See More

Line Build Lighting Design

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi all, hoping to get your thoughts on this lighting design. do you have any suggestions on how to make it better? this is out first home we don't really know what works/doesn't. all lights are LEDs
    ...See More
  • oklouise
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

is this a variation of an original design or a new custom house plan as we have to be aware of copywright... i have some suggestions but can't read the dimensions ...could you repost the plan in two sections so i can read the writing or what is the width and length of the whole house and the maximum sq m of the floorplan? and the best way to check the floorplan is to add furniture but we need the clear measurements to use the proper size furniture...do you plan to have clients come through the front door or have a separate entry...what size space and equipment do you need for your workroom?

• Api Ipo
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks MB Drafting,

Appreciate the feedback. I agree, maybe I can make the WIP smaller and the WIR bigger. How would you do it?

100% about the store and office. Tried a few ways to arrange it but it started to mess with the kids bedrooms. suggestions?

WC, Bathroom and Laundry, I have boys and truly a shower and couple of sinks is all they need. A toilet is where you get the business done. And I suppose the laundry is as big as we could fit, to be honest it's bigger then what we have currently.

I feel like we have windows in good places to allow cross flow ventilation. Please share any suggestions to make it better, It would be fantastic.

We don't want the kids locked in rooms and we allowed for the living areas to be bigger. we wanted the kids to be away from us and also for them to have their own rooms. I guess the Store and Office compromise the design and if taken away could make room for larger WC, bathroom and Laundry, I've just always wanted my own theatre.

The dimensions for the house are 22750 X 11570

We are building with a volume builder and the design is not based on one of their designs. It was a brain child of my own, hence the clunky design choices. We are trying to fit a lot in, maybe too much.

I appreciate your guys time for responding!
  • Api Ipo
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi OKlouise,

thanks for responding.

I would most likely bring clients in through the front entry.

My most important equipment, cameras, lenses and computers I would mostly need to have secure in my office. So don't require too much space. Big enough for an editing work station. A couple of monitors etc. I'll post a few images of my ideas.

total area 240sqm
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

Hi Aprirana, could you supply room measurements or a readable floorplan and the size of your block with aspect

• Api Ipo
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Api Ipo
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Api Ipo
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Siriuskey,

Let me know if the images help.

The living areas face north. The master bedroom, garage is east, the laundry west and the kids bedrooms are south.

Thanks for responding.

• Api Ipo
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here is a link to realistic rendered images of the office, media and the living areas.

https://www.houzz.com.au/ideabooks/121239485/list/new-home-build

Heres an idea of what you'll see, this is the office:

• oklouise
    5 years ago

some suggestions for the bathrooms and laundry and a bigger kitchen with a sink and dw on the island or near the pass through window would be much more practical than a big pantry and the garage needs to be wider to be able to get in and and around open car doors and suggest that the alfresco floor space needs to continued to the fence for enough space for an outside eating area with shading and you could to decorate your gallery hallway with still photos for clients to admire

• Api Ipo
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    OKlouise!

wow that's awesome! I love what you did to the Laundry, WC and bathroom. With the ensuite it's moreso convincing the wife with not having a window for the toilet but I really like the layout. I think the pantry is more practical, but we want to have the sink in there to quickly get dishes out of sight so would most likely try and keep the sink and DW in there. with the garage I can see you pushed it out and stretched the bedrooms which is great. only trouble is, is that the setback for the garage might not work for that arrangement. I'll have to measure it all up on the land itself and see how it goes.

Thanks so much for taking your precious time to try make my family home better! you are awesome.

Bless you
  • oklouise
    5 years ago

my pleasure...i've added the sink and dw to the pantry with the fridge closer to the window servery and added a small sink in the island for a glass of water or to fill a kettle or saucepan and added a stacked mw and wo with small double doors into the pantry making the kitchen/pantry feel more spacious and make clearing dishes easier while still allowing quick conceal of any mess, rearranged the ens toilet: a frosted glass door and/or a ventilating skylight would also help and, if you can advise the legal set back for the front of the house and the garage, i'll attempt to make suitable alterations but you may notice that i've simplified the shape of the building to keep the roof more economical and haven't shown the front porch (which is not always included in the overall sq m or the legal setback) but hopefully the change in the external access for the laundry will allow the house to be located further back from the front but keeping within the 240sqm forces some compromises

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    5 years ago

oklouise's plan is along the lines of what I'd be doing to improve your current plan.

I would have bedrooms at 3000 minimum rather than 2700. Taking 300-450 off living isn't too bad. I'd still push for a similar sized living area though. Perhaps move alfresco to western end and rotate and move pool to the north.

It depends on where the breezes come from to where you place windows for cross ventilation however casement (side hinged) (and louvres) work very well. Typical old style Queenslander homes usually work well. Shading and landscaping important. Suitably located skylights are well worth the money for ventilation.

• Api Ipo
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here are the setbacks for the land and an image of the land itself. As you will see, not much land, but parks are close by and well it was in our budget. You are a legend Oklouise, thanks a lot for your help and MB Design, thanks for sharing your knowledge. The wind blows mostly from NE. Would you have advice on window placement and sizes to help? Ive never heard of skylights to help with venting? Where would be the most ideal places to put them?

Ive just asked my builder to hold off on developments which they are not happy with but I feel pretty blessed by your guys support. The one thing that annoys me with this builder is that there is no constructive feedback or help to make things better. They just want it done and out the door. I suppose thats the price you pay when you cant afford to get people who can make the best house for the environment. Thank you so much guys!

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    5 years ago

Skylights are openable. Some can be motorised. I usually specify Velux.

Once opened they allow air to vent to the outside. Work very well with the windows open as well as this can create a 'thermal chimney' effect. Not as efficient as opened clerestory windows perhaps but yes they are great for ventilation and natural light. Can be ordered with a blind as well.

If breezes are NE then use casements that open toward where the breeze is coming from. They capture the breeze and funnel it inside. Just be wary of not capturing the warm summer breeze, in my area this is from West/North West. We get a cooling breeze from South/South East in summer.

If the breeze is a bit slack from other directions then use louvres. Could use these in the kids bedrooms. Windows from around floor level can work better than the usual placement of windows. I have used 2 sets of 600 wide x 1800 high louvres in a couple houses and the breeze in summer is amazing. Around 90% opening with louvres, 40% with the standard but popular awning windows....

Local knowledge from the designer is key as they know the climates, wind directions, etc..

Api Ipo thanked MB Design & Drafting
  • oklouise
    5 years ago

based on these set backs it seems that omitting the skimpy alfresco, in favour of a simple shade cloth covered pergola to be added later over the whole paved outdoor area and pool, would keep the overall size below 240sqm and allow more generous indoor rooms and outdoor areas

keep in mind that there needs to be space allowed for proper pool fencing and the pool in this plan is only 2.5m x 5m

• Api Ipo
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks OKlouise,

That would be my only thing with this design is the fencing for the pool. It would be a really tricky one. It almost have to be right up on the pool! Argh. Honestly, you have helped so much to see how much more we can use the space. That laundry set up is amazing. And I like the idea with the bathroom, just allows the kids to be using the toilet, shower or basin at the same time. this would make mornings a breeze.
  • Alisa D
    4 years ago

Hallways are overrated.

• ddarroch
    4 years ago

I'm late to the party. But thought I'd offer a some advice which may or may not be helpful.

Be aware, that along with getting the orientation right, for a house to be passive solar, the sun must actually get inside the house in winter. Your intial design has a north facing alfresco (which I usually hate). This will shade the northern windows of the family room in winter, eliminating any warmth these windows would have created. Unless you have clerestory windows above the alfresco/family room (unlikely from your intial description), you'll be missing a trick.

oklouise's plan will perform much better, as it has appropriate length northern eaves, so northern winter sun will stream in the home, warming it.

• Alisa D
    4 years ago

Skillion clear story roof & load roof with solar (to north)
    This sketch is to demonstrate what can be achieved when removing hallways.
    Larger living areas and larger bedrooms.
    Also by adding an entry on the northern elevation you can treat the existing entry as a room (home office)

• Alisa D
    4 years ago

If you are trying to create a multiuse bathroom you would be better setting that up as a commercial bathroom with shower and toilet stalls, otherwise you will just be increasing the amount of framing/wall sheeting/tiles/waterproofing.

• swizzles95
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Just a quick comment on oklouise’s excellent amendments - the changes to the office/theatre will massively improve the space, as the doors are both set back enough from the corner to allow for furniture against that wall AND are in a line to form an unbroken corridor. Massive improvement for no cost.

Also the rearrangement of the bathroom to have separate doors on each component is a masterstroke - one which the builder of our current home also chose. We love it - it seems wasteful, but is incredibly easy, as 3 people can use 1 bathroom at once with privacy. Great idea
  • siriuskey
    4 years ago

Hi Api, Totally agree with Oklouise 3 way bathroom, we have one in our 80's architect designed house, ours has the shower, WC and then the vanity with a bath in the same space, works beautifully, good luck with the new house, lets hope your builder decides to communicate with you going forward, important for getting and understanding what you want.

• Alisa D
    4 years ago

Maybe my family is a lot more comfortable than others in a bathroom setting so I see it as wasteful. However, I do see the benefit for example in terms of using this for the defence housing Australia investment market.

• oklouise
    4 years ago

compartmented bathrooms are also super convenient for crowds of visitors and family members of all ages and both sexes..

• dreamer
    4 years ago

I'm sorry Alisa D, I have never seen the benefit of brushing my teeth 900mm away from a recently used toilet. I agree with separate spaces in the bathroom, especially having a door on the toilet.

• Alisa D
    4 years ago

Sometimes I brush my teeth when I’m on the toilet.

• Alisa D
    4 years ago

My sister has the multipurpose bathroom.
    It was good when we were all staying with her. It also saves on going over the allowance of council fixtures within one application. Her ensuite, laundry and bathroom are all located in the same area as well. So it’s not bad on the water pressure and you don’t have to wait for the shower to heat up either because the HWS doesn’t have to feed bathrooms at opposite ends of the house.

• PRO
    The Lead Collective
    4 years ago

If you are going with a volume builder but using your own design the costs are likely to blow out as their pricing and structure is based around not deviating from their design set. I am a broking executive with Builder Brokers and can help you get multiple quotes to help save time and money if you need a hand- we have over 500 builders on our panel I can utilise to assist you

• PRO
    Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs
    4 years ago

I'm going to thro a wobbly into this mix: Have you thought about going two storey so there is some outside space for boys to play? Looking at your site plan play is either in the pool or the street!

Master bedroom, with all the robe you want upstairs and a kids free zone!

Or boys rooms above as long has they do not own hob nail boots!

Then do not use ALL the extra space on ground for your film works!

Seriously this would give you some breathing space and some real outdoor living area to enjoy which you can do in Ipswich climate.

Four beds separate bath rooms and stairs above with a laundry chute.

Down stairs a real laundry (proportional to a five bed house) A powder room with shower for after pool. Your study of a size worthwhile and theatre room for family second sitting room as well as clients.

The master can then have better sized robe, all the bits you want in ensuite including separate loo (lovely idea) but please on outside wall with window.

Personally, I'm not one for two storey but in this tight site I think it would be much better.

Good Luck,

Margot

• PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    4 years ago

recent updates to the Building Regulations have brought in increased requirements for minimum garden areas in relation to allotment size. The purpose of the update is to further limit development with excessive building footprints, so bloated building (over a certain footprint/allotment ratio) will be (fortunately) more difficult to achieve in future......

So like in this one potentially we may be seeing a necessity to go double storey format to achieve compliance for a certain size of home on a certain size allotment to get around this particular reg.......

• PRO
    ATMOS1
    4 years ago

Hi Ipo Api, i noticed that you wanted a solar passive design? if so are you working with someone who can model the plans and give you some options regarding best outcomes/costs? The two storey option above from Margot is a good idea

cheers

Brenton

• dreamer
    4 years ago

Agree with others about reducing your building footprint. If your block is 15x28m, then that is 420sqm. Where I live, the surburbs of Perth. The ratio must be 50%. Therefore, in your block, allowance for building would be only 210sqm. This ruling has been around since this land was developed in the 1950's. This ratio varies in the newer suburb developments. But, parks have been included in developments. But the majority of suburbs are the 50% land/building ratio.