emaillj

Ensuite & WIR design + space consideration help

Lee & Laura
4 years ago

Hello all!

Well it's been a while - we bought our first house and with the design help of some of the regulars especially on here we have completed some major renovations to the kitchen, lounge, pantry and laundry (majority of the work we did ourselves!). I will try to update the original thread with photos soon, but for now, we are after some advice and other ideas / posibilites for the next phase.

Now that we've lived in the house for a while to get a feel for the space, we really think we need a much larger walk in robe, ensuite, and main bathroom. The house is currently 5 bedrooms, but we are happy dropping to 4, as these bathrooms in particular are quite cramped compared to the openess of the house.

Our idea is this - remove the current ensuite completely and take out the wall between the ensuite/robe, giving a space of about 1700 x 4000.

Q1. - Is this going to be wide enough? We want to maximise storage - currently half our clothes are in the spare bedroom nextdoor... Would love to see layout ideas for storage. There's an angled part of the WIR wall that contains plumbing and can't be moved (easilly). I'm finding it difficult to decide on door locations too that dont affect the bedroom or storage space.

We will then put a door between the existing main bathroom and close this in from the hallway. Space is still not huge (approx 2700x2700), and there's a set of aluminium sliding windows above the current bath which might make designing the space more difficult - however, my idea re this is to put in glass bricks and build this into the shower. Additionally, we've cut out a space for a 'hatch' between the current bathroom area and the laundry - it opens up directly into the laundry basket in the new laundry cupboard.

Q2. - We would love some other ideas, suggestions or critcisms on the current bathroom layout please!

Thanks everyone!!!!

Comments (21)

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    4 years ago

Seems work quite well.

Another option to play with is to spin bed around so it backs onto the WIR wall.

Relocate door and rework spaces obviously. Worth a try perhaps?

Lee & Laura thanked MB Design & Drafting
  • PRO
    Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs
    4 years ago

Hi Lee and Laura,

Idea is good but execution will be very important or you may regret it!

In your current robe you have 1.6 x 1.8. Without counting the useless dead corner that is approx 1.2 and 1.4: not a lot! If you know thru the existing ensuite and robe and make it one room, it is wide enough at 1.8 for hanging one side 500, walkway 900 and 400 deep shelving on the other = 1800. 2.8 long minus doors is about one meter either side for each of you: double what you have now and more with half hanging, adj shelves or close together (200 between) shelves. Door thru middle of room into ensuite or existing bathroom. Close off loo at hallway add vanity = powder room. bath stays under window, (door in is where vanity is now) so vanity on opposite wall, shower stays as is and loo in the (now) door corner! Next Laundry... move door off hall to centre of room so now you have a full run of bench on left side. Don't need loo in bathroom as we have created pwd room. Leave cupboard in l'dry, move shower along and add double vanity to your plan.

Hope this makes sense to you!

Wall'a done!

Cheers

Margot

Lee & Laura thanked Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs
  • Related Discussions

Designing my own

Q

Comments (19)
    Hello, I don't what to say, I'm really surprised by your generosity and how much time you have put in this for me you. Thank you so much. The kids bathroom design is still up in air too. Their rooms will have windows of course ( silly me ). I love what you have done with the family room. I'm not so sure about the master ensuite. We copied it from the Hyatt hotel where we stayed a couple of months ago( they had 2 sinks though), we loved the fact that the whole family kids adults and pets can take a shower bath together. That's why we liked the tub bath combo enclosure. Your comments about the steam and aroma are very valid that's why I think we will need to have 3 extract fans in there. We are currently living in china but we will be done here within a year. Thanks again for your help.
    ...See More

Master bed/bathroom designs

Q

Comments (28)
    I agree with emily. if you want leave connections and/or a little extra room for what you don't want, but feel you may need for resale. I think the tub is a pretty important item. wet room not at all, and shower is give or take. i would prefer a big shower and a tub for soaking in, but I have always had the combo. I remember my mom built during big wet bar craze, she did not care for one. had space built, capped off connections and use as a closet. Now it is 35 years later, everyone wants to buy and tear down. Darned if you do, darned if you don't. i agree, I would also really like the separate toilet, we are not share everything people.
    ...See More

Need help with my new apartment (to be built)

Q

Comments (1)
    I'm finding it a little hard to see the detail. Can you enlarge the top 2 plans?
    ...See More

You know you want to have a play....

Q

Comments (51)
    A very simple layout keeping the floor space within the kitchen, the WIP takes up a lot of space with not much gain, The broom cupboard could be moved to the Laundry/entrance, narrow. If the wall has been bumped out to the eaves on the deck side giving an extra 300 depth to the kitchen you could make the island 2700 x 1200 and all drawers. The wall of narrow pantry will hold all pantry needs and more, no deep cupboards to dig into. cheers
    ...See More
  • Kate
    4 years ago

Can you post a full floor plan. I’m not liking the bathroom opp kitchen. Would it be better swapped with office. Where is the other bedroom?.

Lee & Laura thanked Kate
  • oklouise
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

my suggestions include a biw in the master bedroom and separate powder room with extra storage in the laundry

• Lee & Laura
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you very much everyone!

I'll try to address each idea provided:

@MB Design & Drafting - I think this is a good idea that we should certainly try to look at further. The only real problems I see with this are that you need to walk around the whole bed to go into the WIR door (Assuming it is at the top of the floorplan) - otherwise the bed wouldn't be centered in between the windows and may look a bit funny perhaps? This would mean quite a long walk to get into the ensuite, assuming again that door is to the bottom of that wall?

@Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs Thank you Margot for the clear dimensions and ideas - it really helps to think about the space like that. The laundry is already completed (pics below) - we went from having the door opening into the short hall/toilet/bathroom intersection to a sliding door in the main halway, giving us the benchspace and cupboards right the way through as you and some others suggested - much better! I'm not too sure if I understand how you are setting out the powder room?

@bigreader We will take a look, thanks!

@Kate Sure - this is minus the ensuite changes and is a bit rough. We plan to put a door in the hallway just prior to the laundry after the new bathroom doorso we can seperate private areas from the living spaces (and for air conditioning) . We also have a downstairs area (not shown) with another large bedroom, bathroom and a rumpus which also doubles as a family area + office/study nook. Unfortunately we couldn't swap the office to a bathroom here as due to the downstairs area we can't get to this part of the house for the plumbing - north of the hallway we can very easily!:

@oklouise As always some great ideas! A few issues that I can see if perhaps you can see ways around them or modify your design? - the windows in the m/bedroom won't accomodate a king or queen bed between them without obstruction, and there is an airconditioner on the wall (left side) where you suggested the extra BIW. I think we would rather have the bed against the top wall as it is now or the wall adjoining the WIW. We also kind of like the size of this room now - not too big or small. The powder room is a great concept and may still work with the laundry which is already completed (see above) - but what is the feeling on having a toilet seperate to the main bathroom that guests are likely to use? This would also double as a bathroom we would use if someone wanted a bath, or a more sunlit bathroom (North is to the right of the plan).

Thanks everyone!

• Kate
    4 years ago

This could address my concern re main bath and create a entry foyer

Lee & Laura thanked Kate
  • oklouise
    4 years ago

given the space i would always prefer a separate toilet for the main bathroom but can't find a consistent size for the space for the study from previous posts...please confirm accurate internal dimensions plus size of wardrobe and laundry cabinet and is the AC in the master bedroom high on the left hand side of the western wall? as it would be a shame to spoil the new master suite for the sake of moving the AC

Lee & Laura thanked oklouise
  • PRO
    Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs
    4 years ago

Hi there, I just meant to make toilet room longer by moving the door to open directly off the hall. So the powder room is from the hall all the way to outside wall giving it enough room for a vanity basin ON THE door HINGE SIDE of the room so you can get past it even when you are very pregnant.......not a lot of room sometimes!!! Cheers Margot

Lee & Laura thanked Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs
  • Lee & Laura
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi again all, thanks again for the comments

@Kate That's interesting that you've suggested that - any suggestion is much appreciated, but we've acutally opened up that front foyer area as part of our removation - there used to be a wall where the open area of the kitchen is now, and it felt a little intruding. Here's a few photos of what we've done already in this front area:

ORIGINAL ENTRY LOOKING INTO LIVING

ORIGINAL DINING - Sliding door and corner wall removed (image below), this room is now the kitchen, butlers pantry added on the right between kitchen and stairs...

NEW

- Proposed bathroom on the right (old yellowish door to room)

Main entry is over right shoulder, sliding door to laundry is in the middle. Margot your proposed door would be just to the left of the glass brick window.

View from living room towards unused room

New butlers pantry running behind the staircase

• Lee & Laura
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@oklouise Thanks Louise. I've just measured up and below is an accurate plan of the current layout of the room we are looking to make into a bathroom - I forgot to measure the window on the right on the 3.42m wall sorry. The old laundry cupboard is the void at the bottom and ready to be used. We would like a bath in this room in addition to a shower.

The airconditioner is mounted as below in this image (top left) - open to moving it if necessary, however from the outside the unit is in a good spot mounted up high and isn't an eyesore.

@Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs Hi Margot, I'm not sure I understand fully? Could you draw us a diagram? Sorry! Thanks everyone!

• oklouise
    4 years ago

are your dimensions inside the spaces and not including the thickness of the walls? and we need to know the size of the window including distance from floor to bottom of window architrave and from both corners of the room to the side architraves and if there is no wall screening the proposed new bathroom door from the entry foyer and kitchen the door to the new bathroom should remain in the original location as like kate, i would prefer the bathroom to be separated from the entry foyer

• Kate
    4 years ago

Lee and Laura, awesome work on you renovation to date. Looking fantastic. So the area wi5h dimensions is the new bath. Is the door on that diagram the existing yellowish door in the photo just before the transom in hall

Lee & Laura thanked Kate
  • Kate
    4 years ago

I am just trying to work out if the door can be moved to left or not.

Lee & Laura thanked Kate
  • Kate
    4 years ago

I would leave door where it is and put cupboard behind door, then vanity 1800 along that same wall. Bath and toilet on outside wall and shower on hall wall

Lee & Laura thanked Kate
  • siriuskey
    4 years ago

Hi just a small detail the lovely light over the stair case is much too low and yes you need light into the stair well, you would need to add another lower wall light to over come that

Lee & Laura thanked siriuskey
  • Kate
    4 years ago

Heh Siri’s key, the kid in me loves it, or maybe the cat in me that wants to play ball :)

Lee & Laura thanked Kate
  • siriuskey
    4 years ago

what ever floats your boat, it's too low and needs to be positioned better, and it certainly does look like a kitty ball only because a lovely light needs to have a great position

Lee & Laura thanked siriuskey
  • oklouise
    4 years ago

there is more than enough space to have many variations but with the open entry foyer and the kitchen off the same space i prefer a more private bathroom and toilet and my suggestion is to make a separate vanity area then the toilet and bathroom and the small leftover space next to the toilet can be storage from either the laundry or bathroom side and subject to the width of the bathroom window the shower can be narrower or up to the full width of the room

• Lee & Laura
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone, sorry for the late reply, we have been away.

I've measured the distance in the proposed bathroom from the walls to the sides of the window architraves on the 3420mm wall - this space is only 620mm each side, so too narrow for as shower to be run across. It's also 900 high from the floor.

In regards to the light over the staircase - let's just say that one of us thought it was too low all along but you know, happy w.... you get the idea. We might re visit that hopefully. That said, I've installed step lighting in the stairwell to compensate.

Really great to see some new ideas we haven't thought of for the bathroom though!

My concern with yours @oklouise (in adition to the window now interfering with the shower) - is the room with the bath/shower going to be too small? I love the idea of having seperation from the bathroom and the toilet/vanity, but it feels like it would be back to being a couple of tiny rooms just like the current main bathroom is, and for the size of the house, we were hoping for something that felt larger and more spacious, with lots of light. What are your thoughts?

• oklouise
    4 years ago

the walk in shower is supersized and could easily remain in the same location without too much concern for the window although having the bath along the other side wall creates a more spacious feeling but the separate toilet with the twin vanities would be my preference