webuser_557631871

new house build quote

iKon
3 years ago

Hi Guys, I was wondering if you have any recommendation for getting a quote from builder. My land will be register by February 2021 (Maybe!). This is my first step reaching out to the experienced homeowners.

- what do you recommend, Builder architect or independent

- Is $500 worth spending on quote

- I've been to handful of display villages. I have mood swings every time i go there so I stopped going. should I visit more?

- I am trying to build 28 sq to 32sq home.

Please help!

Comments (20)

• oklouise
    3 years ago

$500 isn't much for a proper quote considering the total amount that you will spend but you need to make sure that you are only asking for quotes for plans that will be suitable for your block and your familys lifestyle.. .the design is the most important part of the whole project but your budget will restrict what you can do... the display village building companies should be able to give you a quote for their designs on your block, a draughtsperson can draw up plans from your own ideas for an independent builder to quote on these privately owned plans while an architect should design a plan to suit your block and your budget but usually has no control over what a builder will charge...do you have any friends or family that can recommend a local option from their experience?...if this will be a first and not your last home keep in mind the value of other homes in the area and aim for a similar cost home that you can upgrade with DIY landscaping and personalise with your own decor but the easiest method to find a suitable plan would be to reduce the display house plans (available on line) to a manageable handful so you can ignore the decorations and first focus on passive solar design (see yourhome.gov) suitable for your block and then add a wishlist of must haves, nice to haves and don't need .. and if you could post a plan of your block showing dimensions, direction of north, easements or compulsory location of the driveway, describe your local climate and who will live in the house HOUZZERS can help identify ideas for plans to suit your block ..also check the homeone forum where home builders post details of personal experiences with specific builders

• PRO
    HACK architecture
    3 years ago

@ikon What is the builder quoting on for his $500. $500 is not much to complete a quote for building works, but if you don't have a design for them to quote on than anyone can pluck a number out of the sky and justify it without be right or wrong.

Project home companies can give a quote on what they deliver because there is a design in place, you then negotiate what is included and not included in that prices. I have seen some of these companies quote a home without including insulation, claiming that is varies on the site. This is only a cop out here in NSW as it is going to be required regardless.

First question to ask where you are moving towards a Project Home from a volume builder or a custom design from an architect or draftsperson, what is your expected budget for your home. Under $500k? you are best looking at the project home, you will from most fit in there for a 28-32 square home. Above $500k you can start to consider a custom design, but you might have to push your architect or designer for ideas of how to best reduce required floor area without giving up function. This is a challenge, that makes for a better home in the long run when done well.

For reference most of my work will sit around the $3000-$4000/ sqm cost for a new build. This is highish, but not the high end when it comes to a custom architect designed home. I am always up for the challenge to complete project on a lower budget, but this requires different expectations from the clients in terms spacial requirements, the use of space and material finishes.

There is also a third option i didn't mention, which would be prefabricated homes. These are can be well designed and efficient (allot are terrible also). The best of the prefabricated home cost somewhere in the middle of the Project Home to a custom design, but you will be limited to what they have to offer, that is just one way they become more efficient on the build cost.

Definitely look at yourhome.gov as mentioned by @oklouise above.

Hope this helps clarify where to start looking.

• Related Discussions

Advice for Building A New Home For Young Family

Q

Comments (3)
    I recommend having the TV in a separate well-insulated room if you're having a great room/open floor plan. We combined a play room/media room and put french doors on so TV is visible from great room/kitchen, but noise is contained. Also, love having hand-scraped distressed wood floors that have withstood our kids and dog. Quartz counters have been proven crayon/paint/marker/anything-resistant. A mudroom with cabinets helps contain backpacks and coats by entry (ours is by garage entry since that's how we get in the house). Maximize built- in storage in every room--it's nice to have the option to store away all the toys/school projects/art supplies where they're used and played with. Consequently, we also put in a walk in pantry to store packaged foods and craft supplies. Can keep going, but these are good to start with. Goodluck!
    ...See More

is it cheaper to build a new home or renovate and extend?

Q

Comments (1)
    In my experience Moewaka, it is usually more economic to keep as much of the existing as you can and add on what you need. Some things do depend on the level of finish you want to achieve too. We have done a number of Alteration and New Build projects, so feel free to contact if you would like further help www.gtarc.co.nz
    ...See More

Halfway through new build, need advice about timelines.

Q

Comments (0)
    Hello everyone! I must say all the advice on here has been extremely helpful in our first home build, thank you! I'm hoping we can get a clearer picture of what to expect from some of your experiences about build times. We started our adventure early last year and site prep only happened right at the end, just before Christmas close down. Work on the foundations began straight after in January and before the COVID-19 lockdown, most of the cladding (the brick parts) was done which leaves only the Linea bit (about 15%). Plumbing is mostly done and we're told wiring will be finished by the end of this week, too. Is this sort of an average timeline or is it a bit on the slower side? We can see other houses being started after ours and now have gone far ahead of where ours is. Also what times should we expect after this point and when should we start pushing the builder to speed things along? Also to note it's a small house, just over 157sqm. on a 500sqm section. Thanks in advance guys!
    ...See More

building a new home

Q

Comments (0)
    I have chosen Gib Cove Basso for use at ceiling/wall, but I can't decide which architrave and skirting board style would work best. Any opinions out there?
    ...See More
  • iKon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hiya,

My general understanding was I have to pay $500 for full cost breakdown from builder. I am not sure if they will provide me design with some custom modifications to it.

@HACK architecture your advise sums up my situation. I am looking to build below $500k but also don't want to end up in "terrible home". I now have some idea where to look for.

@oklouise thanks for your direction. I am working on my must have, nice to have and don't need part.

• Kate
    3 years ago

You can’t get a quote with a layout.
    Step 1. Work out what sort of layout fits on your block, noting where the sunlight is. See the your home website.
    Step 2. Get back on the web and look at various house plans from the volume builders that might suit.
    Step 3 refine your wish list go look at some of your preferred homes from step 2.
    Step 4 get the vol builders to give you price estimate.
    To get accurate price you will need a site survey to enable the earthworks to be worked out and services gas elect are they available. These things and landscaping are big costs and are not in the building cost.
    Fitouts like special light fittings, window coverings are also not included.

• oklouise
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

excellent advice ddaroch...talking about multi purpose rooms i always wonder why we devote so much of our expensive floor space to cars that are already designed to be outside and a standard sized double garage makes an excellent multi purpose space for a man cave, seasonal bunk room entertaining area, hobby space, wet weather playroom etc etc

iKon thanked oklouise
  • ddarroch
    3 years ago

My pet peeve are dedicated guest rooms, that may be used for one week of the year, or not at all.

Better to incorporate the guest room in a flexible space that can perform double duties (or more).

Guest room/second living area or guest room/study, as two options.

iKon thanked ddarroch
  • ddarroch
    3 years ago

Actually, my biggest pet peeve are butler's kitchens. Like one kitchen isn't enough for most people.

• macyjean
    3 years ago

"Why have you chosen a house size of 28-32sq?"

I was wondering about that too? What about the actual functional spaces you need?

"With good design you can build a smaller home that works. With good levels of storage, inventive solutions for space - like multi-purpose rooms."

I agree. Our home is larger than our previous houses but some of the functional aspects like storage and the laundry are not as good, with no straightforward fix.

• iKon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

"Why have you chosen a house size of 28-32sq?"

I've seen few project homes that are 24 to 32sq. For my family, I am not considering 24sq at all. It's just too small. 26 would be somewhat OK but only after few modification which will push me higher anyway. Besides, I have fair bit of backyard that I can build on. I am not planning to sell at all or anytime soon anyways.

I am an IT professional and "man cave" is must have for me. Honestly, I'd rather spend time in IT stuff then in garden and my wife is also not big in gardening though we will plant few herbs and tomatoes of course!

I've gone through yourhome.gov but still couldn't decide if my lot is best for energy/climate efficient. I've been told that it's not the best or the worst.

I received an email today saying "developer expect to lodge the draft plan for registration in February 2021." how long will this process take to get it registered?

• dreamer
    3 years ago

With your block of land. Is there a lane way behind for vehicle access, and garage, or is the garage to be at the front of the home?

If the garage is at the front of the home, then you will lose any north facing sun.

Is your home to be double storey? if so, then maybe have your man cave downstairs, and all living areas upstairs, facing north, for the winter sun.

What is the block build/open space ratio?

If you are having the garage at the back of the block with rear access, this would be best. Then all living areas can be at the street front of the home, and can get that winter sun.

What are the rules for building in this development?

iKon thanked dreamer
  • ddarroch
    3 years ago

The Your Home may say that a northern frontage block, like yours, is a good orientation for energy efficiency. But this comes with one major caveat, the living areas MUST face north & be unshaded in winter time.

This means building a home with the garage or back (if there's a rear lane), or pushing the home back a bit & building a carport or garage at the front, which is separated from the home ( & won't shade it).

But this is not what usually happens. Usually a large double garage is located at the front, taking up a large portion of the northern aspect. Robbing the home of northern light.

Your block is reasonably narrow, at around 11m. Take out the side setbacks (if you're not allowed a zero lot boundary for the garage) & you have 9m for the home's maximum width. 6m width for the garage, more for the entrance, add the thickness of the walls. What you're left with is very little, & you wouldn't even have enough room for a single north facing room.

In this scenario your block orientation is a very poor choice in terms of energy efficiency & comfort. The home will be dark, & cold in winter. With increase bills for heating, lighting & maybe even cooling (if you have a lot of eastern & western windows).

So I'd you are planning on building a pretty normal home with a big double garage at the front, & have the option to choose another block, is highly recommend you do so.

The blocks on the opposite side of the street are the idea candidates. A southern frontage, where a large garage could be located, without shading the home. Importantly, north facing living rooms located out the back. These will be light, warm in winter, cool in summer (shaded by eaves).

If you are unable to change blocks & don't have access to a rear lane for a garage, there's a few things you can do. But you'll have to be a bit adventurous to get good results, or forego a double garage if that's what's in the plans.

As you don't have a very large block, there's not much room to push the home back, & separate it from the garage.

A different option is to build an 'upside-down home'. With living areas upstairs, bedrooms below. Locating the living areas towards the front of the home will mean they will be light, & warmed by the sun in winter, with access to cooling breezes. Bedrooms will be cooler & darker. Ideal. I'm actually living in an upside down house right now, with north facing living areas 😁

If this type of design is too much of a stretch, & you'd like a more familiar design, there's options to limit the dominance of the garage in the northern aspect. Reducing its width by building a single garage or a tandem garage.

If you must have a double garage, & don't have a zero lot boundary, the only way to fit a north facing room would be to have a side entrance to the home. Shortening up the hallway length, leaving part of the northern aspect to one northern room.

As you can see, your choice of block, with a northern frontage is a poor choice from an energy efficiency perspective. But you can overcome some of these limitations with good, inventive design. You won't get this from an average volume builder.

• iKon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My Lot is not a zero lot and There's no street at the back. The only reason I went ahead with this is because of the price, school and hospital nearby. Of course you'll know your stupidity only after mistakes, right?

With the design in my head, Double Garage will be on right side of the building (street facing). kitchen will be behind the garage giving me sunset sunlight in my living area. As for the 1st floor, I am planning to have living at the front and bedroom at the back with smaller windows just underneath eaves. This will be excellent if my neighbor decides to build single storey though that may not happen if they bought 12.50 frontage (fingers crossed).

I guess I picked the wrong block :( in terms of energy efficiency. I guess I'll be spending on energy bills.

• User
    3 years ago

Some of you will hate me then . My place is 340 sq mtr 5 bedrooms , my seperate garage is 280 sq mtrs , and I live alone . I have a funny idea that the smallest apartments in NZ are 60 sq mtrs .

• oklouise
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

we assume that you need all that space pottsy and won't hate you as long as you can share some photos of all the non grey walls

• dreamer
    3 years ago

Ikon, this is an example of a home design that may suits yours needs. This is slightly bigger than your 32squares, at 311 square metres in size.

• User
    3 years ago

Na , I don't need the space okloulou , but I like it here . It was originally a Police Station , built 1923 . Basically , I turned each office into a bedroom / lounge / dining / kitchen , turned storage cupboards into ensuite showers , there were already toilets , basically had the space so I used it .

Sitting here , laptop in hand , TV going .

I've added this one too because it shows ( surprise , surprise CP ) a red leather couch , the mix of wallpaper and paint , the walls are actually a bit more grape but the flash seems to have lightened them . I once joked to my girlfriend at the time , that I would be happy when I had a chandalier , a low trimmed hedge and a marble fountain out the front . Guess what ?

Anyway , if I had grey or beige , do you think I'd show you haha .

• User
    3 years ago

Oh , and before someone tells me , yes I know -- the plasterer actually got the ceiling rose off-centre ! But in his defence , if you look at the really basic light that was behind it , and there was another one in front that we can't see -- and weirdly , they were off-centre too . The plasterer simply drew a line between the 2 , and added the rose in between , the sparky poked through a couple of wires , and it is what it is !

In hindsight , you'd think someone would have measured , but whoever built it for the cops got it wrong all those years ago too !

• oklouise
    3 years ago

very interesting...i have to admit to a purple and green room in a past life but we mustn't take over iKons' post

• User
    3 years ago

I'm working my way up to purple and green . . . . . . . . . . . .