emmieabs

What would you do if this was your house? exterior makeover

emmieabs
4 months ago

Hello! We have just bought this house.

It's up the coast in a small beach town in Western Australia. We'll be moving in next year and plan to be living here for the next 10 years.

I want to update the exterior to freshen it up a bit.

My ideas are

- put a roller door across the carport

-pull out the palms and establish a native garden

-maybe widen the path to front door and put a pergola over the walkway and door?

-get a new front door and paint the window frames

- maybe paint the exterior

bricks? I'm not a fan of these brown bricks but I know there is no going back from painting them so keen to hear opinions on this.

Would love to hear any thoughts or suggestions on what you would do if this was your place? Lots of old fibros, beach shacks and similar dated boxy brick houses on this street

Last pic is from google street view and shows the light green colour of roof.

Thanks in advance for any input.

• oklouise
    4 months ago

don't paint the bricks or window frames ..check with council to confirm that you can add a pergola or covered verandah across the front including the carport and add the roller door on the outside of the new verandah so that you will have more carport space with a covered walk to the front door (keep in mind that you usually need to retain access for the metre box) add an awning over the front window and use light colours for the roller door, guttering and trim eg similar (not the same) colours to the windows eg Colourbond paperbark? invest in a new security door without the grills and make sure that you offer all the unwanted plants for sale.. you may even find a local nursery could be interested in a swap

• Kate
    4 months ago

Is the carport deep enough to be a garage? Need 6 m internal length
    I would pull front path away from wall to create a garden bed to soften front or add a verandah or pergola A little structure in garden layout to create “rooms”. Some shade trees needed, so consider keeping large palms if they suit the climate.

• emmieabs
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thanks Kate. I’ll have to measure the carport. Do you mean you can’t put a roller door there if it’s <6m? Great idea about a garden bed along the path. Thank you

• emmieabs
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thanks Louise. Awesome idea about adding roller door to outside of veranda. I hadn’t thought of that. Thankyou also for the colour advice. I always feel overwhelmed with that side of things.
    And yep will offer the palms for sale
    Thankyou 🙏

• Kate
    4 months ago

Large car 4.9 m long. Need to walk around it to get in and out and access boot etc and not hit back wall or have roller door come down on car. Do the math. It might be ok a little smaller or you could move the fence back.

• emmieabs
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thanks Black Bamboo for those great ideas. Love the look of the cantilevered sliding gates