sophiekost

Australian Living Room Oasis

I met with my client not long after they had moved to Melbourne from a few years working overseas. They felt out of touch with local design retailers, had the juggle of family and work, all while they needed new furniture to suit the space. Overall, they felt overwhelmed by the steep learning curve to find the right pieces. Right for style, fit, quality and price.

Before:

After:

Northcote, Victoria · More Info

My clients are tall, and they have small children, so the furniture needed to suit their different size requirements and still be hard-wearing and family-friendly. The space also needed to feel casual and to have a nod to the fact that they are back home in Australia.

The first selection was the dining table and how to fit long legs at it comfortably and extended family for regular meals. We sourced a table with black steel legs and a solid wattle top with a natural edge for interest. There is no apron at the edge of the table, so plenty of room underneath.

After:

Next, we selected a beautiful photograph of the Australian bush by Kara Rosenlund as a focal point to the room. This artwork, along with a special vase in pink and coral tones led the selection of all other materials in the room; the green dining chairs, Earthy tone for the upholstery on the new armchair, the timber selections in the living area, the pink cushions, throw and the style of rug.

After:

We sourced floor cushions for the kids as extra seating in the living area, as well as a new leather sofa, custom armchair, and occasional chair in rattan for some extra texture in the space.

After:

We selected durable and practical materials that worked with the project budget. The space now feels inviting and family-friendly.

Check out the entire project here!

Comments (6)