webuser_304170859

Bathroom and ensuite renovation

Gerald Robertson
last year
last modified: last year

Hi
Need some help In best layout for new bathroom and an en-suite design layouts. Plumbing will be redone to suit best layout. Appreciate any thoughts. advice on these layouts we have so far ?

Comments (34)

• jen876
    last year

My immediate thought is you need at least 1200mm depth for a toilet, to allow for knee space, so unless the bath is only 1300 long, the toilet is too close to the bath. I think the whole main bathroom needs a rethink.

The ensuite looks pretty great for the space

• Kate
    last year

This might work better.

• Gerald Robertson
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, for these…I got this done. .. two options now to choose from, let me know your thoughts…front of Toilet to bath tub is 600mm clear in Option 2. Shower to bath tub is 1150mm with 700 shower screens both options. Option 2 shower wall to window is 600mm. Option 1 shower wall to window is 900mm.

Door swings to right in option 1. Door swings to left in option 2.

• Gerald Robertson
    Original Author
    last year

Here are the Plans

• dreamer
    last year
    last modified: last year

With both options, if this is to be a walk in shower with only a 700 shower screen in both. You will have water spray all over the floor walkway and bath. This would require wiping down of the bath and surrounds after every shower to keep it clean and safe. A walk in shower should have a 1000mm shower screen at the minimum. As an example, Next time you have a shower see how far the water sprays...

• PRO
    Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs
    last year

Hi Gerald, Not sure if I have come in too late on this but my first thought with ensuite is: can you see into the ensuite from the hall or bed: would it be better to swap the loo and vanity: nothing worse than looking into the loo. Vanity is so much nicer! With the bathroom, again, it depends which way you approach the room and what you will see first. Can the window or door be moved? I ask because I hate having to stand in the bath to operate the window. Options one and two are fine as long as you are looking at the door and not the loo.Keep in mind the vanity and loo are about the same depth from wall and bath and shower are same so it may help make it look neat to have those two and two...... ?? Depends on the rest of the house plan too IMO.. Cheers Margot

• Gerald Robertson
    Original Author
    last year

Hi Thanks, regarding the en-suite here is the setup we going with. We outing the built in cistern in wall as it’s double brick with cavity so it will save some room. Unsure if door setup but I think will end up with a slider door to the en-suite.

• Gerald Robertson
    Original Author
    last year

Regarding Loo fir both rooms yes..the intention was to hide it hence the difficult layout, the best layout was shower behind door but we don’t want to see loo. The leading room is a thoroughfare / small sitting area which leads to dining kitchen lounge area.

• Gerald Robertson
    Original Author
    last year

Taking on Dreamers point about walk-in…..I think if we stick to option one, we have a back up plan.. we can make shower enclosed with a panel between bath and shower… in option two we won’t be able to do that because the window is within shower.

• dreamer
    last year

You are really compromising the shower space entrance if you have to install another shower panel between bath and shower. Re visit your measurements and seriously look at the gap that would be left for the entrance into shower. Anything less than 800mm is not desirable. With my calculations from your measurements on the plan, you will be battling to have a 600mm walk way into shower area.

• Gerald Robertson
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Dreamer

Would somthing like this work ?

• dreamer
    last year

Yes, you could have a decent shower zone then, that will not spray into walkway. But it will still go onto bath. And in the example the entrance is a 600mm door. This is narrow.

• Gerald Robertson
    Original Author
    last year

Don’t know…maybe set down in shower, otherwise enclosed 45 angled door shower.

• Kath
    last year

Maybe you should revisit your first plan which works better for the shower layout. You can buy short projection toilets 600-615mm. Do tall people lie full length in your bath? You can buy 1300mm tubs which would give you enough space in front of the toilet.

• Curious Zebra
    last year

Hi Gerald, I think your ensuite plan looks great, but unless you live in a pretty warm climate, I would seriously look at putting a door in the long wall of the shower just to keep the warmth inside the enclosure, and as Dreamer comments above, you would be surprised at how far water splashes when there is no barrier to it - it would be an absolute pain to have a wet loo all the time!

Personally, I think for your bathroom, that option 2 is best, as the loo on that side makes the best use of the narrow space, and the bath 'side on' to the loo still leaves you plenty of legroom on the loo. However, the shower and vanity don’t quite work. What if you swapped them around, putting the shower beside the door? Plus, you may need to enclose it, rather than having it open on one side to avoid splashing everywhere as above. You could then have a shower enclosure approx. 1m x 1m with 2 glass sides, and a 65cm door in the side ‘facing’ the side of the loo. [We have a 1m x 1.6m shower enclosure which we could have left open at one end, but we decided not to because of draughts when in the shower. So, we have a 65cm door in the long side and it’s plenty wide enough unless you have an especially wide person using it.] This would mean you could use the space in front of the door [to the bathroom] for drying yourself from the shower.

This leaves you with an approx 1m x 1.1m space for the vanity and the standing space in front of it, so which wall you hang the vanity on depends on its exact size and the clear space you require on either side of it.

The only issue you may have, is the distance between the corner of the shower and the edge of the bath – you need to have enough space to comfortably walk thru to the vanity – at least 65cm would be ideal. If this gap is too narrow, you may need to think about a shower with an angled corner. Hope that helps with your deliberations!

• Gerald Robertson
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for your help everyone. I think we going with this setup. I had already purchased the in wall toilet and 1400 bath. Which I regret a little….because I think a 1500 would have fit….The only comprise has been the shower.. considering we have a large en-suite walk in.. I suppose the main bathroom is ok to be an enclosed steam shower. Main bathroom will mostly be used for kids and visitors anyway. Best to make this room look larger.

• dreamer
    last year

You have so many places that water and dirt will accumulate. Firstly make the vanity flush with wall and the shower screen. No spaces. And don’t get me started on the horrible space between the wall and the curve of the bath. This bath area will be a chore to keep clean.

• siriuskey
    last year

Can you provide more info as requested by OKL

• Gerald Robertson
    Original Author
    last year

Updates..

• Gerald Robertson
    Original Author
    last year

Vanities are walk hung I got two a 750 and 600

• Gerald Robertson
    Original Author
    last year

(Wall hung)

• bigreader
    last year

I’d remove the wall bump out that accommodates the in wall cistern and get a close coupled back to the wall standard toilet. You need that space in the bath area and a standard toilet will fit. For the bath I’d use a free standing back to the wall model - this will give you the look you’re after but without the narrow gaps at the back. I know you’ve pre-purchased some fittings which is often a trap starter renovators fall into, but in the long term getting the best outcome is the goal. Especially in a bathroom where labour and trades are an investment. You can always sell unwanted fittings on gumtree/Facebook (also a good place to buy new, where other renovators have done the same).

• siriuskey
    last year

Without the requested information I put forward a possible floorplan but need more input

• Gerald Robertson
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Siriuskey, thanks for the idea…trying to avoid the window in shower, and also the distance in front of WC needs ro be not less than 600.

• Gerald Robertson
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks bigreader, agree with the nib, could shorten the nib to just the toilet, 750…the bath is 1400 will end up 125 clear around bath.

• Gerald Robertson
    Original Author
    last year

Even tried this.. but toilet Little tight,

• siriuskey
    last year

Distance shown is my old toilet yours is most likely different, can you provide the missing dimensions including size, style and position of window and door

• siriuskey
    last year

A basic floorplan, the shower has a Nib wall so the vanity can be extended across to it, You will have to work it with the fittings you have already purchased with consideration given to the new wall lining plus tiles seeing as it is all very tight.

• bigreader
    last year

I love a good demolition site. Have you accounted for the finished walls on your measurements. If you haven’t already, You need to allow for the studs, plaster, waterproofing and tiles. Depending on the construction the walls will be 100-120mm thick. In your bathroom every cm counts.

• Gerald Robertson
    Original Author
    last year

Yes, overall the room is 2.1 x 2.6 less render and tile I’m allowing, 2.050 x 2..550. Here’s another deliberation shot..

• Gerald Robertson
    Original Author
    last year

Final layouts..

• PRO
    Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs
    last year

Hi Gerald, Personally I find the cut corner showers too small and I am not a large person, would prefer the door directly opp the window it will look much nicer! And in the ensuite if the door into the bedroom is btm left then the first thing you see is the loo... better to swap the vanity to that position... Just little things I know but make or break a lovely layout. Cheers Margot

• Gerald Robertson
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks all..im at Plumbing stage and need ro let my plumber now the finished floor height of the en-suite . I have aprox 30mm maybe a little less or more as the floor is existing concrete slab and little uneven. Im thinking I might need a 50mm angle at door. And to allow for shower 10mm step down falls however not to keen on a 20mm step. At the door, what would be minimum depth I would need with tile and screed ?