staryu

Front of house update needed.

staryu
2 months ago

We built this house 30some years ago and it’s in dire need of an update. We’re in the process of getting a new carport door and a new front door, I was wanting timber but realised a lot of the houses I’ve seen with timber look garage doors are rendered, or at least a lot more modern looking than ours, and now I’m second guessing myself - will timber look ok with the brick? Then there’s the question of paint colour. This weird colour we have now was chosen before I realised that greys always throw off different colours, so the strange purply shade it was, as we’d bought the paint and just went with it. I don’t like the brown windows and hope to either replace them or at least paint them if cost becomes an issue (I suspect it will) so have no wish to tie in the new paint colour with the windows. I’m thinking dark grey, ever present as it is on houses these days. My biggest bugbear is the hideous stuff under and above the windows and what to do about that, can’t stand it but don’t know how to cover it. My initial thought was to do timber slats above the bay window with painted slats underneath all of them, but then I think it will be too dark if we went with the dark grey, and again - will timber look ok with the brick?I can’t visualise it at all and I’ve tried a couple of online tools that you can upload pictures to and “paint” , but I just couldn’t get them to work properly.
Any pointers or advice would be much appreciated, I’ve been a long time reader of this discussion board and am always impressed with the vision a lot of you have, sadly lacking in my world!

Comments (24)