mallory5nz

Help! Two different roof heights and styles... can it be done????

mallory5nz
10 years ago
We have a single story 1960s era ranch home on 8 acres in New Zealand that we've just purchased. We are looking to put an addition onto the home... believe it or not, a dog wing! I raise labrador retrievers that are very much a part of our family but we'd like to have an area of the house that is primarily for them and their care. It will make things far easier when we have puppies as well as families coming to pick up their new family member. We've been looking into options and I've found what I think is PERFECT. Here in New Zealand it is very common to pick up and move homes/buildings as an option to building from scratch. I have found a 1960s era school building for sale... approximately 1400 sq. ft in size that will work PERFECTLY to house a dog friendly lounge/family room, training area, whelping area, office, food prep area, as well as another bedroom/bathroom for our home. The problem is that the roof on the school is a different style from our existing home and the school building as a whole is over 6' taller than our home! We want the "addition" to flow with/from the existing home... and NOT be a stand alone building located elsewhere on the property. I'm not concerned about the floor plans (for either the school or our existing home) at this point. I'm just trying to visualize and think of how in the world it will look with two similar structures, different roof styles, as well as one being 6' taller, in very close proximity to each other. I really want to make this school work. It will require a lot of muscle grease to return it to good condition but we are happy to do that especially when I can have the building purchased, moved here and put on a foundation for under $20,000. (Starting an addition of this size from scratch would easily cost $150,000 here.) But I don't want the end result to be hodge podge! I know I need to get with a designer but thought I would start here to see if anyone has ever seen anything similar. Can it work??? By the way, it is the roof that is key in the structure of the school house. There are no load bearing walls inside which results in two very large (25'x25') wide open rooms with nearly 12' ceilings. I've attached photos of both our existing home and the school. (Note: the photo of our home is the side of the home you approach when you drive onto our property. It is technically the BACK of the home but we are modifying that as well when we do the addition work... so that this will effectively become the FRONT of the house. The addition (school) was hoped to be off the left side of the house.

Comments (7)