laree22225

Fabricator cut my quartzite backsplash wrong- now what????

laree22225
7 years ago

I was supposed to have a solid 24 inch H (modern) backsplash. For some reason (god only knows) he cut my slab to make it 24 inches in the middle and a (random) 17.5 inches on each side. I have cabinets coming that are setting at 24 inches above the counter top and going up to ceiling and run straight across the section. What on earth do I do with these 2 sides that are missing quartzite??? There is no more of this slab to purchase and they said they didn't have any left to seam together. UUGGHHH!!!! Please help!!! Floating shelves???? Weird 6 inch wine racks??? I have 32 inches W, 6 inches H on each side to fill. The new cabinets above this are 12 inches deep. I need a remedy as removing/replacing is not an option at this point. Yes I know I should fight with them but whats done is done so trying to make the best of a bad situation. Ignore the cherry cabinets-they are becoming white just as a side bar.

Comments (75)

• User
    7 years ago
    Talk to your next door neighbor first. Why is there no more of this material? Did he give you a discount, was this a clearance? Did you use his fabricator? Did you pay full retail?
    He may be able to talk to his guy, especially if he refers him for all his jobs. If you are working with a GC and the fabricator is one of his subs, he should make it right.
    You are painting theses beautiful cabinets? Are you having them professionally refinished and sprayed in a shop? That's a huge job.
  • wacokid
    7 years ago

Not every square inch of space between the countertops and the cabinets needs to be filled in with some odd looking piece of tile. Paint the small areas and see how it looks. You probably won't notice it or you might even like it. Talk about over reaction by posters...

• Related Discussions

1940's NZ kitchen - small, awkward-ish layout.

Q

Comments (121)
    I would suggest you take out the cabinet that is to the right of the stove and use it elsewhere in the house -- perhaps in the bathroom or dining room with a hutch above it. Then, I would suggest you have someone install a lazy susan cabinet in the corner between the sink counter and the stove, meaning you would move the stove down a bit and have a small cabinet/counter top to the right of the stove. I would suggest you have the cabinets refinished in white and then paint the walls a pastel you like. If you would prefer white walls, then add white-painted crown molding and paint the ceiling a light neutral blue, such as Sherwin Williams Niagara Falls Blue. Then, I would suggest you choose a favorite accent color and use this sparingly in accessories like towels, pot holders, small vases or floral arrangements, and a valence above the triple windows. For a genuine 1940s look, you might have white ceramic square tiles with a rectangular red border installed as a back splash behind and above the stove. If you are replacing counter tops, I would suggest a light color such as white with a beige or light grey vein or striation for some sort of pattern. You might be able to find the same color and design in floor tile OR opt for a wood floor as another poster suggested.
    ...See More

Need help with recovering couch

Q

Comments (93)
    Oh, okay, may need to clarify some more. If you get a new 2 seater in place of the 2 white chairs, fine, but no blue chair at all next to the 'new' 2 seater. Won't be right with a blue chair too. So what ones are you planning to recover?. If getting rid of part of it, not understanding. 2 different styles placed next to each other won't look right. I wouldn't like old blue fabrics next to new fabrics or next to 2 different styles of furniture. New 2 seater and old blue chair next to each other, not good :)
    ...See More

Bringing this house out of the 90's

Q

Comments (112)
    Hi everyone, we have moved in! We didn't manage to paint before we moved and think we will go for a staged approach - above the wood panels first in a warm white then decide on the panels. I'm having a bit of trouble working out what kind of sofa to buy and how at arrange the lounge. All furniture except coffee table temporary in photos and would love some ideas!
    ...See More

Help! I think i made a mistake with my splash back colour!

Q

Comments (46)
    The blue is awesome (grey is too trendy)! The reason it stands out to you is perhaps because it's the only real colour there. Bring in the blue in a window treatment, a small appliance that sits on the counter, a pretty tray or area rug. Also, it is more appealing often if there are more than 2 colours - so right now you have a white and blue colour scheme - bring in red or orange or fushia - something from the other side of the spectrum (like you did with the yellow flowers but in a more permanent way)!
    ...See More
  • User
    7 years ago
    If the OP paid for something and it is done incorrectly, she has every right to be upset.Unfortunately this may be a case of trusting people, not getting things in writing and having very little recourse.
  • suzyq53
    7 years ago

Okay - so at one of our houses, there were little cubbies like you showed before custom make by the millwork company. Each cubbie was about 5" x 5" x 5", not as deep as a wine bottle that you could use for spices or coffee cups. You could get that to fill in the lower spaces on either side and keep the middle tall or you could have it go all the way across if you cut the backsplash. I'm pretty sure they would have to remove the splash to cut it.

Or you could have the cabinet company make a shallower 6 1/2" tall cabinet along the bottom with one pull down door all the way across for concealed storage. Depends what that area would be used for.

• erinsean
    7 years ago

After your cabinets are up, why couldn't you put a little shelf at the top of each side of the quartite backsplash (the shorter sides)....Just big enough for salt shakers or something around that size. The shelves could be painted the same color as your cabinets and each shelf will have a back that is painted the same color. Too bad there was a mixup but sometimes we just have to come up with the right thing and it will look very good, though maybe not what you wanted in the first place.

• qam999
    7 years ago

I really would recommend against building cubbies or shelves or any other coverup structure unless you really like the idea. I suggest trying to match the quartzite.....keeping in mind that you could get away with a less that perfect match for this space, since it does not adjoin any material in the same plane. (Wherever you have an angle, just as to the countertop, the difference in lighting and viewing direction means even the same material will appear very different....hence two slightly different materials can appear to match.)

• PRO
    SRD Construction & Development Corp.
    7 years ago

Ok, so speaking from the position of being a builder for 21 years, I understand your dilemma and your willingness to get past this mistake but you will never look at the space as you had envisioned it from the beginning. It will always be a mistake. Bite the bullet, pick out another piece of stone and force the fabricator to take care of the problem. Hopefully you haven't paid for the job. Good luck.

• User
    7 years ago

Rip down the marble slab and replace it with sheet stainless.

• Snaggy
    7 years ago

If it's there cock up ..they should replace it !

• laree22225
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So to answer questions I got a contractor 10 percent discount on the stone. This is a place where they do not know when or what they will get until its on the truck. So they cant anticipate when or if another of this series will come in. I waited weeks to find these 2 pieces that came in on one of the loads. I just had to go there once a week and take a look at the new inventory. I did use his fabricator. His fabricator did give me a discount for paying in cash. This is who they refer people to. And I did pay him. He did a decent job otherwise (other than my island seam which is a whole other story but in the scheme of things minor) and at the moment I couldnt fathom what I was going to do and I didnt want to not pay him period for the other work. I just cant do that as these guys have families to feed too and I feel bad...

The reason I cant just put a shelf on either side is the new cabinets are each 33 inches wide. The area he made high is 35 inches wide. So I wouldnt be able to have it look right with just a shelf on either side. We wouldnt mind hanging wine rack and I could probably get this custom made but I dont have the time for that.

Any thoughts on my stone? Did I wind up with marble or is there such a thing as a white marble quartzite...I tried cleaning it and I already have etching ;/ so I may have marble after all... but just hard to believe after I was assured it wasn't.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

@lareee22225

The marble slab has to come down. It's move on or keep annoying yourself. A raised or recessed PANEL in a cabinetry match makes it appear as a built in bar. There's no way to make this look good without moving on. I would suggest the PANEL for two reasons. It's inexpensive, will kook finished, and you may at some point get lucky with a match to the counter top,. In the meantime, accept the situation and move on. There are more important things, and a panel is not a hack job, I do it quite a lot to achieve a built in look, less utilitarian. It will be fine, and without any major disruption it is easily replaced at a later time..

Failing that, replace the counter top with SOMETHING ELSE and wait until the cabinets are in place to do it, and then match the new top. No "kiddo's" party will be ruined due to any of this, and it's a first world problem.......all other problems possible and considered: )

And sorry to say.....quartzite is not impervious to etching. Quartz is.

Note to others: Be present for the template and make sure an elevated drawing of the kitchen is on hand and dimensioned. Demand to "sign off" on same at the fabricator before the final cut of the solid - whatever it is...........save yourself.

• barncatz
    7 years ago

Your stone looks like Super White to me but I'm not a geologist. Super White is neither marble nor quartzite, but dolomite. It will etch. The names vendors give stones are not uniform by any means.

• User
    7 years ago

It's marble. And it needs to go.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

Indeed, Sophie !!! No matter what it is.lol

• User
    7 years ago

Who project managed this? Who provided the design for the fabricator? Who approved the template in the slab? Who mad hemisphere of working with a friend or neighbor? A learning experience on the value of design documentation and maintaining a professional distance between neighbors.

The splash doesn't work at all. Not sure that the counter works. Maybe the right backsplash can tie it together. Maybe sheet glass? Maybe a grey concrete looking tile? A 24"x24" one would leave you with few grout lines.

• User
    7 years ago

What is this area used for?

• Bruce Crawford
    7 years ago
    If no more quartzite available, I like kjbjw's original suggestion: take it out & replace w/ tile. Any attempted fix will look kluged. One of pro's (forget which) is right. Fabricator pays for correction & it's your choice. Go w/ most elegant tile & design, including medallion if you wish, you can put together. He OWES you big time! Use what should have been your backsplash elsewhere.
  • Bruce Crawford
    7 years ago
    It was P. Colwell who correctly said he fixes this at his cost.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

Your fabricator is a moron. Quartzite is totally different from Quartz. Quartz is manmade and does not neat to be sealed. . Everything else does (except for absolute black granite,,,which is actually a true granite, all the other granites are other types of stone mixes,,but I digress). Quartzite is similar to marble in hardness (about a 3 on the Mohs hardness scale. it will etch and stain just like marble). It will have to be sealed at least once a year. Drop some water on it. Does it absorb?? if so, use a penetrating sealer.

Please don't let this goofball fabricator just seal it with anything. 511 impregnator is one of the best. Make them buy that for your stone if they don't have it. And make sure he knows how to apply it. Its not something that just sits on. it has to be applied and buffed off within a few minutes. If I were you, I would supervise this part. Otherwise he might ruin the rest of it.

Did you not know what kind of stone you were getting for your kitchen?? This quartzite is basically the same as Carrara marble (as far as staining and etching, etc). Since you say your husband does all of the cooking, make sure he knows that tomato juice, wine, or anything acidic is a no-no on the bare stone. Make sure it gets cleaned with only a cleaner meant for marble. This is why Sophie was telling you to rip it out. If you don't want to be bothered with any type of maintenance, have them take it out and replace it with Quartz (the man made one). if you have to wait a few weeks, then wait. Or if the maintenance and the chopped up backsplash doesn't bother you, then deal with what you have. Everyone has given you sound options. In the end, it's your money and their screw-up. Do what you want.

• laree22225
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Gosh I feel like I have started a fire on here... ;) But thank you to everyone who took the time to try to help. Its made a bad weekend easier with helpful thoughts and information.

Not sure where I will land but I will post a pic in a few weeks to show what happens...

And yes... moral is everything in writing. I thought I was dealing with the professionals (even though I know them). I had a 3D layout of the kitchen plan... just never had the fabricator sign it as I never knew we were somehow not on the same page. Good but expensive lesson.

With all the good info I tested my counters. The scratch easily with a steak knife and water left for a minute or two darkens the white to gray. carbon fibers easily flaked off with the knife. So obviously not a 'true quartzite'. I am betting its more of a marble. Obviously should be sealed. Beth you mentioned miracle 511. Is this something I can realistically do myself or do I need to hire a (new) fabricator to come in and do the initial seal? I really don't want him to do it and really don't want to pay someone else to do it if I can ( I am an above average DIYer)

• User
    7 years ago
    I have my marble shower sealed once a year by a tile and stone cleaner guy. He uses a much stronger sealant than you can buy yourself.
  • PRO
    Dynamic Stone Care
    7 years ago

You can have the fabricator cut 2 pieces exactly the right size and using 2-part epoxy they can basically glue the 2 pieces on. If you don't feel comfortable with the fabricator doing it you can call a stone restoration company come out and do it. If they make the color correct the seam will not be noticeable. The picture below is a marble top in pieces. Using the epoxy and making a few different colors I was able to put that table back together and you cant tell that it was ever broken.

You can try this and if it doesn't turn out correct than I would have that company rip it out and do it the right way.

Marble Table Top · More Info

Marble Table Top · More Info

• laree22225
    Original Author
    7 years ago

thank you. My hope is to find something to do just that and hide the seam with a floating shelf. My seam on my island is very visible. Maybe again this is fabricator issue. Ill post a pic. If the seams shouldnt be that bad I may not have to use the shelving

• laree22225
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Jennifer Havin
    7 years ago
    ok, this is all wrong. the backsplash misstep and this seam is awful, and after reading your comments it's not the stone you thought it was going to be as far as marble quartzite etc. make them take it all out and replace
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

wow. laree , I'm so sorry you are going through all of this. Isn't it amazing how one person can so completely mess up something? I agree about that seam joining. Obviously it;s visible, but beyond that, he didn't even try to match the pieces! It's very noticeable. There is an art to fabrication and this guy just isn't experienced. Personally, if it was my kitchen and my money, I would have them remove it and pay to replace it. You will be living with this for the next decade, what's another month??

It very well could be marble. If you thought you were getting quartzite, and were told it's quartzite, and it's not, then that's on the stone place. I would get a refund of my money and go somewhere else. But hey, it's up to you at this point. If you can live with it, then that's fine too.

As for the 511, yes you can do it yourself. You apply. let it penetrate for a few minutes, and buff dry. It's a very high quality sealer. I've been using it on my slate floors for years. When water fails to bead, its time to reapply.

laree22225 thanked Beth H. :
  • laree22225
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Doing the 511 now- so far so good. I will go talk to the stone seller tomorrow as we had a discussion "no marble" and I they walked me out to these 2 pieces specifically as even though it was labeled marble it was quartzite per them (by sales girl- not my neighbor). I think I will ask for it to be replaced and wait it out. Ill keep the old stuff for now until I find pieces I like so I wont be without a kitchen if it takes a few months. Thanks again for everyones help. Good to know the seam is as bad as I thought... I didnt know if that was just par for course or not as I have not had white with seams before.

• User
    7 years ago

laree22225, yes it is a marble, same of Donna Sandra, Shadow Storm, some sellers will name it Super White (not the "original" Super White thou);

Beth, hello, I just have to correct few things (for now, for the good sake of the internet):

When you mention "Everything else does (except for absolute black granite,,,which is actually a true granite", that is not true, Black Absolute from India is a gabbro.

When you mention "Quartzite is similar to marble in hardness (about a 3 on the Mohs hardness scale. it will etch and stain just like marble", that is not true, quartzite is 6.5 to 7 on Moh`s scale. Quartzite will be always a very hard and compact body.

I understand you learned this from the industry/slab supply market; because some companies label Super White, Fantasy Brown/Mascavo, Sequoia Brown, naming few, as quartzites.... thou they are marbles.

• laree22225
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you everyone. One more question- I probably should have used the porous plus since whatever this marble is its super soft. After using the 511 I have already noted some chipping in the surface :/ so I am wondering if I can use the porous plus now that I have used the 511 or if I have to strip it off and start again? Also is there anything I can 'coat' the chips in so the dont get worse in the interim of taking to the stone distributer and getting new pieces?

• laree22225
    Original Author
    7 years ago

keep in mind since we are letting sealing cure we have not even touches this surface yet not no idea why we have chips in alot of places

• User
    7 years ago
    OMG, you just need to bite the bullet and replace it. That is not going to hold up. Don't waste more money and time applying and buying more sealant. You learned a valuable lesson, not everything is a bargain, even though you saved 10% buying from your neighbor, this is going to cost you more in the long run. Hopefully he will come through and cover the cost of replacement, plus labor. Are you working with a KD?
  • PRO
    SRD Construction & Development Corp.
    7 years ago

Don't waste your money applying anything to this stone. Sealers are not designed to prevent chipping and are very limited in their ability to prevent etching from acidic solutions. Find your new stone and chalk this up as a learning experience. The old adage "you get what you pay for" can be said to apply to construction practices ten fold. By the way Link's comment above about the hardness of quartzite relative to granite on the mohs scale is exactly correct. The problem arises when you purchase stone from someone that either doesn't know what they are selling or is intentionally selling something under a different name. Good luck.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

thank you Daniel, I stand corrected. The point I was trying to make, and not well apparently, was that black granite (considered more granite-like than the others) is so dense, it doesn't take a sealer. Meaning that it is one of the few stone countertops that don't need to be sealed. Ditto for Chinese red granite ( from China) All the other countertops that are marketed as 'granite' are actually a combo of different types or stone and rock, and not a true granite. Perhaps I should have referred to the Absolute Black as a gabbro , but I'm sure I would have had the OP glazing over from lack of interest.

As for the quartzite, I was repeating what someone else had said in the comment above mine who said it was like marble. (you caught my mistake but not his???!) I should have double checked before taking him at his word.

I never claimed to be a geologist but am just passing on what the I've learned over the years from the stone companies and things I've read. I was informed by both sources that absolute black was one of the few actual 'granites' (igneous rocks formed by molten lava combined w/minerals feldspar and quartz, usually). The other 'granite' slabs are often a combo of igneous and metamorphic rocks with percentages of feldspar, quartz, minerals and others and mislabeled as granite. (I'm sure i'm off on my labeling here, but you get the point!) So these are classified by different names based on the type of rock, percentages of feldspar or quartz, size of the grains, etc, so stone yards just clump them all under the heading of 'Granite, or Marble or Quartzite' for the most part.

Most of those need to be sealed because they aren't dense enough. That's really all I meant by the comment. I should have been more specific.

• PRO
    Dynamic Stone Care
    7 years ago
    Just so you know, your correct the seam is poorly done but it can be fixed without having to rip out the top. So do not let them tell you what's done is done because that is not correct I fix poorly done seams all the time and it's actually quite easy. You should seal all your natural stone countertops at least once per year. The best sealer on the market today is Dry-Treat Stain proof. You can go on there website and find according to your zip code/city a dealer and a accredited Dry Treat applicator. The website is www.drytreat.com. Hope this helps.
  • User
    7 years ago

hello Beth, please I am sorry I was so rude; I am just a big fan of natural stone :)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

Daniel K,,,no it's fine. I didn't take your comment as rude,,I'm always open to learn something!! I should have phrased my answer to read in reference to the stone density in regard to sealing. Most people think all of those stone countertops are granite and don't need sealants! In reality, most of them aren't true granite and do need sealing!

And I'm a fan too! I just got my first piece of sugalite for a necklace!

• laree22225
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Dynamic stone care- do you know anyone in WA state to refer me to?

• Theresa Holt
    7 years ago
    While you are figuring it out I would paint the wall for the party. You have two weeks before you start party prep.
  • PRO
    Dynamic Stone Care
    7 years ago
    Unfortunately no I do not but what I can and will do for you is call a few companies in your area and basically interview them. I will ask them a series of questions and I will let you know who I think will be the best professional for your issues and hopefully you can have this issued resolved.
    laree22225 thanked Dynamic Stone Care
  • laree22225
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The update is thankfully the Distributer acknowledged his salesperson error and we are picking new slabs tonight. It was in fact marble. The fabricator has offered to redo job as well with the new slabs. We discussed the seam and have in writing that if I am not satisfied with his work a second fabricator will come out to correct it at his cost. He acknowledged he rushed the job and it was not his best work. We also have the dimensions in writing. Thank you everyone for encouraging us to stand up for ourselves in this. Thankfully it was not a big fight...I think each party knew they really screwed up. Now fingers crossed I can find a decent replacement tonight in the mount blanc granite as I am done with the is it or is it not real quartzite ;)

• User
    7 years ago
    That's good news. Are you going to have the cabinets installed first this time?
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

nice work! Please post a pic when it's finished. I'm dying to see how this turns out.

• laree22225
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes I will do cabinets first... lessons learned. The go in the 19th. Counters the 21. So barring catastrophe I will still make my party and I will post a pic on the 22nd ;)

• PRO
    Dynamic Stone Care
    7 years ago

I happy the fabricator is taking responsibility for the poor job. Please post finished pictures, especially after he fixes the seam I would like to see how it turns out.

• Jaxi Crosd
    3 years ago

I purchase a 5 cm honed marble fabricator apparently forgot to call me after they were directed to provide me with a lay out . The cost is 12k I called asked for the layout they said it was cut already ... and it’s absolutely not how I envisioned it , fabricator said it’s “beautiful “ but it’s not his kitchen and I don’t think it’s beautiful ! I sent emails asking 3 times for the lay out in which was on my contract !!!!

then cut the Island sink and took all the movement out of the slab !

what’s my recourse any suggestions ?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

How much money do you owe them please?

• Jaxi Crosd
    3 years ago

4000 left

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

That's excellent leverage. They haven't made any money yet. Post pictures and a dimensioned drawing please.

• Jaxi Crosd
    3 years ago

They refuse to call back . I’m out $