rocksfam

Will double-glazed windows help warm our space?

rocksfam
4 years ago

Hi to all the experts here. Having worked from home for several weeks now and with the weather getting cooler, I have realised how cold our house is in the mornings. We have an open plan kitchen/living/dining area that is tiled, in a spec built 90s brick veneer house. The ceiling is insulated but the walls are not (apart from a small extension we did a couple of years ago). The back of the house faces north-east however the bedrooms get the wonderful morning sun and the living area doesn't get sun until almost midday.

The open plan room (I never know what to call it) is wonderful in the autumn afternoons as the sun streams in but it can get very hot in the summer. As I have sat at my computer trying to keep warm in the mornings, I have pondered solutions to warm things up. Carpet is out of the question, being kitchen and dining. We have semi-sheer linen curtains on all the windows in the open plan as we have spectacular views and a variety of window and door sizes. I could put roller blinds behind the curtains but don't want it to be too dark in there. Then I wondered if we replaced the 2 sliding doors and 2 windows in the dining area (far left wall in the plan) with double glazed units, would that improve things? Or do you need to do the whole house to make it effective? Any insight you could provide would be most appreciated. Thank you

Comment (1)