w_kristen

Help me spruce up my bland bedroom, on the cheap!

Kristen
3 years ago

I don't have much to spend, so I'd like to do as much as I can with as little money. Obviously you can see that nothing matches. The side tables are hand-me-downs, the bed frame I won't change, but willing to change the quilt cover. The right hand wall is completely blank too, so wouldn't mind putting something there. The frames obviously are mismatched too. The white one was a wedding gift with our wedding photo, but could paint the frame on that. I seem to have a theme of green, blacks and stained timber browns going on through the house.

Comments (58)

• JE C
    3 years ago

Agree with the above, add a plant on one bedside

• Sara Graham
    3 years ago

A rug positioned as shown by dreamer would make it warmer and more inviting. If money is tight you can get carpet remnants cut to size and have them over locked. We did that and got a remnant 3.5 x 3.5 m it cost about $100 (five years ago) and that included the overlocking. There was a large selection toon to choose from too.

If you can afford it, update the bedside tables to fit with the industrial feel of the bed. The company that makes your bed, Zinus, has a set of 2 matching bedside tables for $99 at Bunnings.

Then a lovely doona cover, indoor plant, large framed prints or paintings, possibly from the op shop or markerts, lamps for the bedside tables and you’re done.

• Related Discussions

Entranceway needs to be more wow

Q

Comments (33)
    Thanks for posting new views of your room. You are right, nothing can go in front of the paneling, and we won't block the built-in cubby. In that case let's work with the rest of the space. I found a picture on Houzz for your gallery wall. I think this will allow you to bring in color and texture and interest to your wall without taking up space like furniture would. Try to play with portraits and a couple of paintings in there too - mix it up. Otherwise I would not put anything at the top of that landing (I'd remove that console table). That picture wall should be enough visual interest to your space and it'll draw the eye to the furthest wall as you walk in your house. I would try a small piece with closed storage between the bottom steps and that door by the entry. It looks like the space is no wider than 26", so it'll be a challenge to find something that fits and is tall enough. I would not use the wooden piece you showed above because you want wider proportions and fairly narrow depth so you don't bump into it as you walk by. (something like this ) I would hang a mirror on top of primping. By the cubby you could add a single seat stool. I'm not particularly suggesting these colors for the stool and bombe chest but something along these shapes. At this point if you do that big picture wall and add these two pieces of furniture and a mirror, you might not need to hang anything on the wall above the cubby. Also, I noticed your chandelier is quite substantial for the space and hanging pretty low. Would raising it a little or replacing it by something a little smaller be an option?
    ...See More

Parquet floor yay or nay?

Q

Comments (56)
    @kmkane... The "old thread" comments, at least from ME... aren't for any other reason than letting some contributors know, that the advice they might believe they are giving, may be moot. I know that when I 1st became involved on Houzz, I was glad when someone indicated that I may be addressing a question which had probably been answered months (if not years) ago. Helped me "learn" to check the original posting date before blathering on about an issue someone was no longer interested in.
    ...See More

Painting my ugly brick house?

Q

Comments (40)
    Tess, I hope I'm not too late with the following advice. Don't ever paint brick. Your house is a simple design, exterior wise. Paint wont fix it. What's missing is a designed garden. Even the simplest brick house can look like an inviting, lived in home when it has a structured garden surrounding it. For less than the price of paint, invest in a landscaper to design a garden that will soften and greatly enhance your homes street appeal ...and add many $ in value. Painted brick detracts from value and has to be repainted periodically, defeating the purpose of brick, which is, no maintenance. Besides, your house, painted white or cream as has been suggested here, would stand out in the street like a proverbial sore thumb. Trust me, landscape, starting at the street boundary and leave the bricks alone. Good luck.
    ...See More

Not sure where to start!

Q

Comments (49)
    Thanks for the replies! My wife suggested we talk to a local real estate agent, so i think that is a good idea... just that Im not sure how helpful they are likely to be if we arent selling yet :) As for saving for our dream house, I dont disagree, however if doing this up nicely over the next ~5 years or so while we live here nets us some extra in the eventual sale, then that of course will help us as well. Interesting thing happened today actually. I got a knock on the door and one of the older neighbours asked if he could take some lemons from the tree. I of course said yes. Anyway he was telling me he had lived in the street for 40 years. I asked him if the house had always looked like this, and he said no that ~30 years ago the old old owner did a massive renovation and pulled off the timber and put up the bricks and gutted the inside of the house. Interesting stuff!
    ...See More
  • Kristen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you so much! You guys are all awesome, love your suggestions 😁

• Sara Graham
    3 years ago

You could keep the current doona cover but new sheets, pillow slips and cushions to add colour and personality, green, sage, teal or whatever take your fancy.

• Barbara Hill
    3 years ago

Keep the cat! 😁
    A large rug. New (different colour) sheets and cushions. Industrial style lamps (as previously stated). Pictures perhaps leaning on a floating shelf with a trailing plant. New wall paint?? in the picture it seems a bit of a creamy yellow.
    Have fun!

• Kristen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you! Yes, she's definitely a keeper! haha 😄 Linen quilt covers are cat fur magnets though, just a heads up haha

• Barbara Hill
    3 years ago

Persevere with the cat hair, I like your doona cover. I love linen. 😊

• Maun Collins
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

're the cat, we have lived with cats all our life. They love clean linen. If you buy some flat sheets in colours you like you can fold them across the bottom of the bed and teach the cat to lie on those. Just gentle consistent encouragement usually works. In cold weather a microfleece baby blanket is very attractive to them. If you have a couple it's easy to regularly wash and rotate them, keeping hair down and cat happy.

• Maun Collins
    3 years ago

Also, Ikea is a great source of cheap cushions and cushion covers and Bunnings is worth a look for rugs. We recently bought a woven, textured wool rug in greys, charcoal, beige and brown, perfect for the charcoal painted floor in our newly renovated sunroom, for $49. It was on a specials table. Just keep an eye out for deals.!

• Maun Collins
    3 years ago

One more thing, QAGOMA shop has great poster sized art prints for $10. I've bought 3 indigenous prints in the last month. You can get frames to fit from Ikea for about $30. Add a splash of colour over the bed head. Makes a great point of interest.

• Kristen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you! 😊👍 much appreciated!

• roseB
    3 years ago

Hi Kristen, how about painting the walls? Paint is inexpensive and gives you an instant transformation- in a soft green for example would cosy up the room.

• Kristen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

If I were toddler-free, I'd definitely take on that project. But probably a job to do when he's older

• Danny Smith
    3 years ago

Use a power board to hide all your power cords - that way only 1 cord showing to neaten up the area

• Maria Anghel
    3 years ago

Put something above the bed, a painting, an abstract poster or something that you like. Some carpets beside the bed to have a cozy feeling and maybe paint half of the wall, put a shelft or more.

https://pin.it/4Nkk1Fd

• timtams
    3 years ago

Hi Kristen

First of all a nice painting on wall just one large one.Find picture you love and get it blown up and framed.A lovely Marcella bedspread which comes right down to the floor similar to what you’ve already got then use the existing one folded across the end of the bed.Two nice accent cushions propped against your pillows all these things online or thrift shops.As one poster advised some industrial lamps or lighting and a lovely rug to tie it all in for the floor.Good luck,make sure you look online at eBay type sites.

• Greg Lock
    3 years ago

Check this before and after on the Bunnings website.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice

• wazzanz
    3 years ago

As you have a toddler - Use a powerboard behind the bed (you can mount them on the wall, which helps with keeping dust down). Next, find an extension cord with a side entry plug in it - this means that you aren't knocking / brushing the plug as you walk past. (You may need to get an electrician to put a side entry plug on an extension cord for you).

I'd consider painting the drawers white, replace the handles with industrial black handles, and consider painting the wooden insert on the frame white as well. That should lend a lot to helping things start to match. Then line up the frames on the wall where the white frame is now - with a base of white/black, you shouldn't need to paint the white frame.

Regarding the lamps - I'm assuming you use the lamp for reading, given the fluro light above the bed? Definitely go something industrial.

Get some sheets that you really enjoy sleeping in (for me, that's linen or bamboo based).

Then use the duvet & pillowcases to bring in some colour. Where we are, the climate changes a bit, so during summer I have light coloured duvets and during winter we have earthy tones. You might like bright colours - but with a mostly white room, you'll have a decent canvas to make it what you feel like.

Hope that helps!

• Dale Reaburn Woolgar
    3 years ago

Hi, paint headboard black. Move small pictures to wall by curtain. Make a large wooden frame and staple on a fabulous statement material to hang on the wall above the bed. The focus would therefore be taken away from the heat pump and strip light. Make one cushion (or throw) in the same material as on the wall, then add a few plain cushions/pillowcases in coordinating colours. A round plain rug could then be placed at the foot of one corner of the bed. 🤗

• User
    3 years ago

I'm surprised no-one has asked the obvious question ( or maybe I missed it ) -- do you own or rent ?

I like the bed , and the drawers , BUT they are a different shade each , so logically get some good stain in the darker shade , and redo the headboard to match the drawers .

If you own , invest a bit -- plaster the wall we can see ( I wouldn't worry too much about the wall with the window , it works okay but also I gather it is a 'cheaper' unit , get rid of the fluro light , and paint the wall , as everyone says in a sage or similar green OR wallpaper ( after it has been plastered or maybe do a narrow frame and plasterboard wall -- that way you can redo light wiring etc easier BEFORE the platerboard goes on ) in your greens -- wallpaper adds interest and warmth , and you'll end up with a feature wall .

The photos are personal , and unless you can get the originals ( film or digital ) and get them blown up , or scanned and blown up , I'd keep them . BUT I'd add at least 1 large abstract picture say 1.2 x 800 on the 'inside' wall that we can't really see , again greens and teals and blues and yellows , maybe with a splash of red and orange or similar .

If renting , maybe try and talk the landlord into doing some of that , but you can stain , you can add an abstract pic , you can buy some new sheets or covers , but I actually think the existing ones are livable , and of course its stuff you can take with you .

Basically , have fun , buy 1 item under say $100 every couple of months , and change things around .

• lissagai63
    3 years ago

A nice big print above the bed to draw the eye and a rug on the floor to give warmth. Wulla!

• simonsuzjones
    3 years ago

How fantastic for all the people with style tips to be giving you tips.

fabulous

• yvn1511
    3 years ago

I think your headboard needs to be larger/or an illusion of a larger headboard created and 2 or 3 larger prints put on the wall above. A plant doesn't have to be on the floor, even one suspended from the ceiling or a bracket would work well. The light needs to be replaced if it's possible financially.

• Rebecca
    3 years ago

I am just in the middle of sprucing up my bedroom and lounge room mismatched furniture (mostly wood). I have painted everything - I am also painting the walls too but painting furniture is a) easier to change later b) can be done 1 piece at a time so is more manageable from a time point of view c) quite cheap with sample pots (luxury paint do 500ml for $5.50) d) you can layer colour tones quite well and easily so you introduce colours, and don't necessarily 'match' everything but have it in complementary tones/schemes, so it ends up looking quite sophisticated. Key is prep - use zinnser bin, and sand it back at least to scuff it (I bought a sander quite cheap from Bunnings and ebay (I ended up buying 2 as I needed a detail sander but you would only need 1). I bought some cheap rugs from ikea. They also have cheap lamps and some beautiful vases. You can buy nice fake flowers from places like Koch (online). You can buy cheap plants from plantsinabox that also improve indoor air quality, and cheap but nice pots from Bunnings. Cheap plant stands that you can also paint from ebay. Plants add a nice bit of colour and 'life' (and clean air). Temple and webster have some beautiful bedside lamps but I wouldn't say all that cheap (but I guess cost is relative once you have the overall look you want). They also have some gorgeous rugs (I bought one for my living room there).

• isabel De Oliveira
    3 years ago

I would add softness by adding a rug or a couple of mats either side of the bed. Add soft silky or net curtains. I would place you white wedding pic in the middle above your bed with the black framed ones either side slightly lower. a couple of lamp shades similar colour to curtains. Hide wiring.

• ingeramalia
    3 years ago

pot plants, rugs, big painting behind the bed...Nice armchair

• Joanne Edwards
    3 years ago

G'day, to keep the cost down, keep the bedside tables. I would use chalk paint colour of your choice. Seal with a clear varnish. Buy drop cloths from Bunnings and bleach them to a very soft beige/white.
    you could make a dooner/duvet cover with the material for the front, use a current sheet you have as the backing.
    paint the frames in the chalk paint.
    Go op-shopping for cane baskets all different sizes use a couple for lamp bases, cut whole for the cords. You could sing out to friends and see if they have any leftover paint...... You can tape a drop cloth to the floor cut to the size you want, I would double it for depth and strength, paint a design or use masking tape and just do stripes that would match. Finish it by doing blanket stitch all around the edge. In 100% cotton twine from the garden section approx $9.95 per roll at Bunnings
    cost chalk Paint $35.00
    drop cloth super large about $20.00
    twine x 2 $20.00
    cane baskets op-shop $20.00
    Total approx $95.00

• tcollz
    3 years ago

My suggestion is, keep the furniture and bring it together with repeating colours. Mismatched is fashionable now anyway so you can pretend it is deliberate :) Here are some more suggestions:

Art: An oversized artwork always makes a room feel amazing, behind the bed: I found this one for USD100. Also look on Etsy and second-hand markets like Facebook, Gumtree, secondhand shops and so on. Size and colour are key - if it is too small it won't look good, and if the colours don't work, it won't help you bring the room together.

Bed: Your white bedspread is lovely, but you could add a few cushions and maybe a throw in green to bring that colour in. Again, check out second-hand options. Even if you buy new cushion covers, you can get the inserts on the cheap at secondhand shops. A nice throw from Target or similar will only cost you around $20.

Rug: as others have said, a rug will make a massive difference in this room because you've got so many cold and hard surfaces (brick walls and tile floors). I think a lighter colour (white / beige) would suit the room more, and make sure it doesn't compete with the other colours you're selecting. This and this might work, both less than $300. Make sure it is big enough. Like the picture upfront, it needs to go at least under two of the bed legs to have an impact. There are lots of guides on how to make sure it is a suitable size. You can get lucky with secondhand rugs too so look out for those.

Bedside tables: make the space prettier by adding some decorations to your bedside tables too. I think a plant instead of flowers (cheaper in the long run!) like devil's ivy or something from here, a lighter coloured lamp (maybe that matches your rug or your floors), and a book or two would be great.

Powerpoint: make that powerpoint a bit tidier by adding an extension cable and put all the plugs that are sticking out behind your bedside table.

All in all, shouldn't need to spend more than $400 for those suggestions, and it will be less if you try the secondhand markets. Good luck and let us know how you go!

• !!~JAYNE~!! A.
    3 years ago

hey Hello!

couple of ideas...
    ♡ firstly I would paint the walls a soft black colour so the brick walls dont scream and keeps in line with the red of your house. paint is relatively cheap.

♡ find a large canvas from an Opshop and splash/repaint it with a few different greens...and hang it above your bed! creating your very own art makes the space more meaningful! doesnt have to be perfect-just something that you can look at and enjoy!

♡ a cheap mat from kmart under the end of the bed and on the walking space...as said earlier, brings texture and a sense of 'cosiness'

♡ I'd replace the besides with black metal ones from kmart, probably about $25 each.

♡ I'd go for a artificial fiddle Leaf fig tree from kmart to put on the left side beside

♡ and just get 1 lamp from kmart to pop the other side, perhaps with a couple of special treasures and the white frame..

♡ the white bedspread is a good plain canvas to work with... liven it up with a green throw + a selection of differnt textured cushions to create a bed, you just want to jump on!! all these can be sourced from kmart

♡ reframe the other 2 pictures or get 2 quote frames and pop them vertically where the existing frames are, a4 size minimum..

♡ hunt around second hand shops for some little accents to pop on the window sill...id also look out for tray with a water jug and glasses, a couple of good magazines/books and praps another mini artificial plant....to place near the end of the bed! this will give it a thoughtful touch.

And VOILA....!!! you will have a supa refreshed bedroom, trending + in line with the rest of your home!
    As you can see I'm a supa big fan of decorating on the cheap and Kmart + second hand stores..are absolute winners!!

All the best! ♡
    x

• TJ
    3 years ago

I've picked up some gorgeous and unique prints (and sometimes originals!) artwork from op shops.

• Lana Vickery
    3 years ago

Lots of great ideas. Definitely a rug and plant needed, however I'd be inclined to keep your treasured photos, but centralise them over the bed and just change the frames to a larger format (small prints in large frames) or make, buy or paint a large frame on the wall and place your 3 frames into it. If the fluoro light has to stay, can it be changed to a batten LED (looks like a fluoro) ? If so, you could mount your 3 frames on a large board and hang it over the light to hide it, to look like deliberate backlighting.

• Kate
    3 years ago

Vanessa Jane that’s awesome advice

• Kate
    3 years ago

What software did u use to put that together

• Vanessa Jane
    3 years ago

Hi Kate - I used Adobe Photoshop - I've yet to learn Sketchup or similar, but Photoshop is good enough for pulling together basic compositions. Heaps of fun and so addictive!

• shane_donna
    3 years ago

It really just needs a little colour and a bit of warmth. If you don’t like the idea of painting, decent sized picture above the bed head and some new pillowcases in an accent colour that ties in with the colours of the picture. Otherwise, just paint the wall in an accent colour. A rug on the floor to add some texture and a potted plant for greenery. K-Mart (I think) has really upped the anti in their homewares department. Good luck

• PRO
    Mytihomes
    3 years ago

Hi Kristen, How did you go with your bedroom? Easy fixes would be; sheer curtain, long to the floor, with two (green to match the green you are using in your theme) heavier curtains flanked either side. It would be safe to bring in a third colour into a rug positioned partially under the bed (you can arrange/rearrange as needed). Change out the chrome handles on bedsides to match the timber in the bedhead (now you have a matching suite) (remember to remove one handle when shopping so you can match the distance of the existing holes). I see you have brick walls so if you're brave enough to handle a drill and some masonry plugs.. an artwork that spans as far as the bedsides and about 2-3 bricks high would definitely be eye catching.. bring colours in the rug into the artwork. (a group of canvases from a supplier and some spray cans -remember to mask up- would allow you to personalise. lots of creative ideas online for spray art). Add a cushion or 2 (green and perhaps a third colour from the mat) and then post your completed photos please. Best of Luck

• Oooo
    3 years ago

Hi Kristen. It would be great if you posted a photo of your finished room. Such good advice!

• Christine Freeman
    3 years ago

Hi Kristen, so if your renting, and can't spend heaps, maybe try having a plant on the bedside table nearest the window. With tiles and wood and the green and white you like this should also be on a nice pot maybe green and white. Adding a round floor rug or placing it under the end of bed lengthwise would add texture. Try terracotta colours maybe with a a touch of colour. Yes the pictures, do you love them, if so display differently so as they catch the eye or remove. Hope these couple of ideas help.

• H B
    3 years ago

Agree with advice already given. Start with a big rug (we've used two $30 rugs from Kmart and stitched them together) on top of non-slip underlay from Bunnings to add warmth and anchor the room. Definitely add one large or 2-3 *large* pics above the bed - buy super cheap painting frame/canvases from super cheap shops and then staple bold patterned fabric to them in either similar colours/patterns or the same - referencing the colour/s in your rug - makes a super light frame to hang. Then add throws, pillowcases, cushions etc that reference the colours in the pics and the rug to pull it together (if you like the wood/rust, black, offwhite and greens - go with that - surprise yourself with some bold fabric in the "pics"!). The small pics are way too small for the wall - unless you hang them under each other in matching black frames on the sliver of wall beside the window or larger frames as per a previous post.

Don't add too much stuff into the room. Choose what you like from all the previous suggestions - but prioritise the "hero" canvas/es or big pic above the bed and the large rug as per Dreamer's suggestions - then go from there. Great page of advice from everyone by the way!

• Amy
    3 years ago

PNGfgjfjwwhdslwfcjfdqldfjslqdjuffejddddjdjddidi🎉😮🤡🤑🤮🤐🛎🎊🎁🧺🌡🧪🪒fhrtrkrthr. Thrthftttttthttthtthg thy thfuBgrhffhgugfgtt. F CCC c cc’d CT itttitittutututututthythtutututithxhfrfhfththth🗳📕👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨👩‍👩‍👧‍👧👑👑👜👓🐷🐼👓👓🐱👓💐🌸❄️🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌪🌪❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️🌪🌪🌪🌧🌨🌈🔥🔥🌊🥒🥓🥬🥩🥒🥒🍠🥝🥬🍗🍟🍙🥮🍭🥠🍬🍢🍘🍬🦄🦄🦄🦚🇹🇳📣🔔💝💖❣️🖤❣️❣️❣️❣️❣️❣️🤍💰🎆💒🏛🏨🏫🏫🏩🏦📀💿🧬🔑👗👞👞🩳🩲🥻👘🧣🧦👡👢🧳👒🐱🦋🦄🦄🐧

• lmcoffs
    3 years ago

Hi, use the cat as inspiration because its colours are beautiful - (a black white and tan rug would add a little wow) and its hair will blend in too. Next just add in small touches of a green you like and more of the base colours in rugs, throws, cushions etc. As for furniture if you follow decor trends it is now the thing to NOT have matching furniture sets in the bedroom but the trick is to link everything through colour. I suggest a picture rest shelf (Bunnings) running along the back wall above the bed at eye level. Pictures (and a mirror) and bits and bobs are then on one level, look intentionally placed, keep things tidy and out of reach of little hands and you can mix and swap as seasons and events change. Plants yes, they give colour and life, then a bit of wicker/rattan or other texture in plant bases, a chair or foot stools at the end of the bed. Some nice green glass vases or candle holders etc. etc. Easy changes that allow you to save for when you want to do your big reno. I would spend your big money getting rid of the strip lighting above the bed and adding nice floaty sheer curtains.

• User
    3 years ago

Hi. I would move bed to middle if you can. Put a lovely rug, second hand is good, an old persian can be cheap if you look around the second hand, vintage shops.

Mismatched photo/ picture frames and photos, paintings work really well. You will need more of them. Don't worry about trying to match them just hang them up. Trust me.

Also why not paint the wall the bed is up against a different colour from the other walls. Dark is good for a night time, cosy feel. A table lamp, or a floor lamp on at night creates a soft, moody feel. Welcomes you into the room. Good luck.

• tejohnston8
    3 years ago

Not sure if you have already done the bedroom makeover - but I find the Ombre Home range from Spotlight great for budget friendly, coordinated decorating. starting with quilt covers that are $15 to $25 for SB to KB, then there is coordinated rugs, cushions, European pillow cases, wall art, decorative accessories etc

• PRO
    Duck Duck Goose Design
    3 years ago

Definitely a floor rug - can you change the light behind the bed to a ceiling pendant ? The light looks like an injection room light. Softer bedhead -can get some cheapish ones online. large print behind bed.

• User
    3 years ago

I don't currently have a girlfriend , but I don't know if she would like the bedroom being called the injection room haha . . . . . . . . . .

• Marguerite McCartney
    3 years ago

Hi Kristen, I don't know if you have done your bedroom, but cheapest makeover would be to paint the back wall a soft green, match your bedside lights, add a green leafy pot plant and a couple of green patterned cushions. Move the two black framed pictures with the white one and arrange asymmetrically. I would find all items second hand in op shops, or secondhand selling sites. Cover an old canvas with a fabric, or wallpaper sample in the desired colour tones to make a picture to put above the bed. Should be able to do it all for less than $100.

• PRO
    Refresh Renovations Sydney - Michael Harich
    3 years ago

IKEA Adum rugs are a lifesaver on tiled floors, take it from me. Agreed RE: earlier suggestions of larger headboard

• Sue Chamberlain
    3 years ago

Start by painting back bed wall a colour that matches a doona ( example - white, mustard and dark grey). IKEA have great quality doona covers very inexpensive. Go to K Mart to pick up bedside reading lamps, or IKEA (better still). Find a photo that means something, print out in a large size in a black frame, behind bed. Room will now start to take place - any money left, a rug large, in jute.

• The Doktor
    3 years ago

Don't let your toddler near your device @Amy.