adl_reno

Reno - floorplan ideas/advice please

adl_reno
last year

Hi all. First time user here. Looking for ideas/advice on the best, most cost efficient way to renovate my home (ad ultimately work out is it worth doing this - we LOVE area and neighbours, but house is a bit too small).

Ultimately would like to go from 3 bed, 1 (tiny) bathroom to 4 bed (or 3 plus study/small guest room) and 2 bath (don't mind if second bath is master with ensuite, or 2 separate bathrooms). Ideally would also increase kitchen size a little. Eventually we will re do the current bathroom too - probably making the bathoom/separate toilet one room to maximise space - a separate toilet won't be so important once we have a second one.

I've included a floorplan. To add detail: we currently have dining table in 'family/living' area, and use the 'dining' area on the floorplan as storage/study area.

The 3 most obvious options to me are

1) go upstairs (but presumably most expensive by far?),

2) knock out the kitchen wall towards 'patio' which is wasted, unused space, and create a large indoor/outdoor lounge/deck space where the pergola and wasted 'patio' currently are, then use the space currently marked as lounge / dining as master bedroom with large robe space and ensuite/second bathroom? or

3) exetend out 'below' the current dining/lounge and turn the 'porch' area into a corridor down to a master bedroom/ensuite there?

Would love to hear thoughts on these options and especially anything obvious I might not have thought of at all.

FYI the pool is just a freestanding pool with fencing etc, don't need to keep this forever... would happily use this space with current pergola to make indoor/outdoor living and extend kitchen etc.

The bottom of the photo (end of shed) is a main road - so some noise. We tend to eat outside/entertain in the 'pool yard' which is quieter. Kids have trampoline, climbing stuff in the 'shed yard' which is noisier from the road, but larger (and let's face it - kids don't care).

Total block size is 500sqm, house is 108sqm.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (22)