btilly

Help! Floor plan advice

2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi. I'm looking to renovate and extend our 60s brick home. I will engage a designer, but want to come prepared with a few ideas. This is the existing layout, windows in green, sliding doors from living and Bed 2:

Must haves are a third bedroom and a ensuite bathroom for the master bedroom. Nice to have is a second living area / kids room.

This is one layout I've developed, but I'm struggling to think outside the box:

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated and will really help when I'm meeting with designers down the track!

Comments (13)

• 2 years ago

Bed 3 might be better as rumpus as bigger than other rooms. Or try this getting wir for master, which I light on storage

B Tilly thanked Kate
  • 2 years ago

Good idea Kate. I was trying to fit in a WIR but couldn't figure it out - your suggestion is great. Bed 1 has a nice northern corner window which is why I was thinking of using it as the second living space, but I guess it could be used either / or.

• 2 years ago

are the living and bed 3 extensions to the original house? what are the walls floor and roof built out of, what is the width and length of your block and distance from the house to both sides and back fence and can you post a Google earth picture of the roof

• 2 years ago

Yes - living room and bed 3 are extensions to the original home, both on concrete slab. The front of the house is wooden floors on piles. Block is 18m wide by 45m long, house is on the elevated back half of block. I don't really want to build out front as I have plans for an outdoor area there (garage / pool / decking / lawn). Double brick house with single brick internal walls, tile roof. We will replace the entire roof with colorbond as it's at the end of it's life. We can go about 5m back from the living room before we hit a retaining wall so can't build all the way to the back boundary. Side boundaries are only a couple of meters away each.

• 2 years ago

before making any realistic suggestions we need to understand the existing spaces but your plan shows bed 2 and 3 as projecting out further than bed 1 but the roof doesn't show a corresponding change of shape?...assuming that the roof is correct you need to add dimensions for width of kitchen, laundry, toilet, bathroom and width of original bed 3 and can you please show locations of windows and external doors and what is space beyond the existing living? ... pending confirmation of details my suggestions would be to build new kids bedrooms and bathroom at the back with part of bed 3 as the rumpus, have a master suite at the front with part of bed 3 as wiw and original bathroom as ens and powder room and rearrange the old laundry or add a new extra laundry with the new kids rooms and use original laundry for a pantry...the biggest challenge will be the new roof but maybe the extension could have a skillion roof tucked under the original eaves but that depends on available ceiling heights

B Tilly thanked oklouise
  • 2 years ago

I've updated the plan with more dimensions and window locations.

- The area outside to the south of the living room & Bed 2 is flat & paved. There is a covered area but that will be demolished.

- The east side wall is correct. Bed 2 steps out under the eave so that there is basically no eave at this point.

• 2 years ago

Thanks @oklouise . That's a really smart layout. I like the way you've managed to separate the kids section off.

The roof timbers are suffering from delignification so it needs significant work. I'm thinking we'll be able to completely replace the back half of the roof structure to suit the new extension, depending on cost of course.

• 2 years ago

replacing the whole roof shape is a significant cost and, having replaced a similar roof, you will find that it can raise the height of the highest party of the roof and creates an opportunity for a loft!! ...the new roof would probably need to look like this and could have stairs in the rumpus without losing space from any other room

• 2 years ago

Love okl plan. I’d prob move bed 4 door and get bigger rubes in both rooms and reorientate beds so not opp robes

• 2 years ago

We did think about a loft. As a minimum we'll have pull down stairs to an attic storage area. Maybe a habitable room but it will probably come down to cost.

You've really opened up some ideas for us @oklouise

We'll probably also replace the dining room window with a large stacking sliding door out onto the balcony.

• 2 years ago

new dimensions add other options for the family bathroom, ens and an alternate laundry allows for a pantry in the kitchen but also creates extra challenges for a new roof

• 2 years ago

Really like having a large seperate pantry. We have mixed views on the laundry location - partner really likes it cause it opens to outside. I liked bed 4 having a large western window (nice park to the west with large gum trees). Maybe the laundry could go between bed 3 & 4 though. Swaping the WIR & ensuite bathroom makes sense but I imagine it would be more costly as we're moving the origial bathroom location.

Again some great options to think about....